Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Worst Day of Sailing  Bottom

• You know those days that as soon as one thing goes wrong it all starts spiraling down hill? Well I had one of those days today.

I just bought my HC 18 a few weeks back and when the guy I bought it off of was taking down the mast the last time he dropped it and broke the pulley off the end. He gave me 40 bucks and said it could be welded for about 30 bucks. I tried to get it welded back on but it is white metal so they couldn't weld it. I then tried to order the part. Its no longer in stock anywhere. So I JB Welded it back on and it has held up for 2 or 3 days of sailing so far.

So today I went out to the lake, it was a perfect day for sailing. I have been waiting for a day like this for a couple weeks now. We rigged the boat and launched with no problems until we tried to raise the main. The ring just would not catch on the hook. We kept pulling and pulling and trying to go to irons and moving the sail and the ring would not catch. Finally the JB weld gave way. There goes that day of sailing. So we use the 3/4 raised main to try to make it back to shore. Well because the sail was not all the way up it starts flapping and out flies a 40 dollar baton (which sinks).

So my question for everyone is... Firstly, How to I get the ring on the hook easier? Should I invest in a aussy halyard ring or is it just about finding the right angle? Second, how should I repair my mast tip so it wont break again? JB weld alone just isnt cutting it... I was thinking about riveting L braces and flat braces to the tip in addition to JB weld....

I hate missing out on perfect days of sailing! I would appreciate any help I can get to make sure this doesn't happen again.
  • you have a 'flapper~thingy' on the mast where the hook is,tape it outta the way or bend it... I had the same problem, it's been fine, gave me a little trouble last yr.? I don't know why??? so I used 'HARSH' words, but I don't think harsh words will help you....It sounds like you have some serious issues with yer cat~~I don't know what to tell ya!!!!!

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I never heard of "white metal"....it sounds like aluminum which is a little more difficult to weld, but shouldn't be a huge problem. Its usually cheaper and easier to do it right the first time. Call a few welding shops that can weld aluminum.
  • Hi Bud... yes when things go wrong on a boat.. they keep going.

if you can't fix the problem with taping up the peice, i would definatly try a new ring... it may save you lots of frustration (not to mention wear on your mainsail boltrope and cover). I just changed out to a murray's aussy and it works great!

I am not sure about the welding (esp since i am not sure what is broke) but you should contact a hobie dealer to get a better idea of whats needed. Perhaps a new comp tip will fix your mast?
  • Way I read this, you broke your casting and pully assy and now your hailyard ring is not catching the hook.Probably misalligned. Check to see if it got bent when the mast crashed. I'd guess this is gonna cost you much more than 40Bucks.That pulley assy is not something I'd want to fail on me.

I looked at a parts list and it appears that the whole upper mast must be replaced. I'd find a local dealer and have them look it over. The parts list is not very informative.
  • Bud,

First welcome to beachcat sailing, it really is a lot of fun, you are in the "learning curve" we've all been there, hang with it.

First of all, it sounds like you were raising the sail on the water, is that right? Do you have to? I've been sailing H18's for a long time and I hate it when I'm forced to raise the main while floating, even at a dock, it's a LOT harder than on the beach.

Does the top of your mast look like this? (my h18)

My pully is part of a casting that goes down into the comptip. Looking at the Hobie Parts diagrams, it looks like it's Hobie part # 60602041, not sure how it's attached, probably uses common rivets with the hook which is a seperate part # 61610101
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=62087
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=62091

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I just noticed you tried to order the part, missed that. Did you talk to a dealer? The casting is the same part number for the Hobie 20, so I bet it's still available.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • wow Damon ... thats one heck of a hook Assembly you have there... my H18 didn't have a wrap around collar
  • Was yours a comptip?

This boat is a 1992 model, I'm not sure what my 1981 boat had. Next time I'm down at the lake I'll try to remember to take a picture of it.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • White metal is a mixture of cheap left over metals that are large grained when the final casting is cooled off. It will not weld. JB weld will not work because the cross section of the place you applied it is too thin to stand up to the compressional stress needed. There is no fix less than replacement.

The profile of the mast should be common enough that other head stocks might fit with some minor filing.

I work with metals, white metal is a sign of short cuts and a hint at a manufacturer's commitment to the bottom line instead of quality.

When one puts to sea, cheap should not come with you.

• damonAdminWas yours a comptip?

This boat is a 1992 model, I'm not sure what my 1981 boat had. Next time I'm down at the lake I'll try to remember to take a picture of it.

I had no comp tips on either of my hobies...
  • I'm just getting started with my H18 as well. I took the crew (my two sons) down to the hobie dealer to get a "quick start training" on how to get rigged and on the water. The Aussie ring was one of the things the dealer checked for. I have troubles getting the sail to drop, but haven't had any problems getting it to catch while raising the sail.

We also added a number of quick release pins (at gooseneck, tiller extension, outhaul) with the outhaul being the most important as I then leave the boom disconnected until on the water, but raise the sail if the wind is at all blowing onshore.

• svanlareWe also added a number of quick release pins (at gooseneck, tiller extension, outhaul)

Word of caution... don't leave the pins in for extended periods (tiller)... they have a habit of seizing up and you will have to drill it out and risk damaging whatever they were in.

Also i had a quickpin on my boom/clew (OUTHAUL) and it crapped out at the worst possible time (it worked out of the clew plate)... in a tack... in heavy air... RIGHT NEXT TO A SEA WALL... my crew fought with it and was able to reconnect it at the last second... i almost "ate the wall".

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND A QUICK PIN THERE!!! THE CLEW PLATE ON YOUR SAIL IS NOT HARD STAINLESS STEEL.. IT WILL CORRODE AND WORK THE HOLE BIGGER

edited by: andrewscott, May 06, 2009 - 01:39 PM
  • Good advice

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.