Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

rudder system H16  Bottom

• I have a 1982 H-16 and am l;ooking to replace the rudder system. Like most Cat Sailors I've collected lots of parts over the last couple of years. It seems that the gap on rudder castings is different IE I Tried to use some of my extra parts to put together a boat last year and noticied that all H16 castings were not the same. I want to use the newer style one piece gudgeeons but have the older castins. Has anyone encountered this same problem? What are the possible solutions? What years did the castings change? I love my old boat but want to update the rudder system? Any suggestions?
  • not sure about the 16's but the h18 changed to a different casting/rubber cam system in 84.
  • opwan2002I want to use the newer style one piece gudgeeons but have the older castins. Has anyone encountered this same problem? What are the possible solutions?
    I switched to the one piece gudgeons on my '82 but, had I to do it over again, I wouldn't bother. The one piece gudgeon is not a direct replacement and I had to hog out the holes in the new gudgeon as well as grinding the hinge and parts of the rudder casting. It was really more trouble than it is worth and I doubt I achieved any meaningful improvement in performance. The casting still fouls the new gudgeon which effectively widens my turn radius. Unless your stock gudgeon bolts are broken off or stripped out don't bother with this mod. Instead try to find a newer set of adjustable upper castings and also upgrade the tiller crossbar assembly to the newer adjustable type. There is a kit for this.
  • I agree, one piece gudgeons not worth it, I was going to add them to my H18 when I upgraded to the EPO2 rudders, until I saw them.

Not sure why Hobie didn't design them to line up with the existing gudgeon screws.

They do look cool.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • damonAdminNot sure why Hobie didn't design them to line up with the existing gudgeon screws.
    As I understand it, the one piece gudgeon is a direct replacement for the European H16. That lower rudder casting is slightly different than the North American model. Bottom line though is there is really nothing wrong with the US version. I switched only because when I bought my boat the gudgeons were removed and one was frozen to the rudder pin and needed replacement anyway.
  • There is a nylon shim kit available which addresses this problem on the H16 castings, I went to ace hardwarde and found the same type of nylon shim/washer and used that to stiffen up my rudder slop. Spending a little time on my steering system was my best investment to date.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.