Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Radio on a catamaran  Bottom

• Has anyone been successful in putting a radio on a cat? I'm not interested in the headphone type. I kind of feel like I'm asking how to mix oil and water. icon_confused

• i have gone through a dozen radios...

i currently have an i-home radio that hold my ipod, has 5 radio presets and i keep it in a west marine, small clear drybag.

the bag muffles the sound a bit... but i can hear it when its not blowing over 15kts

I don't love the radio.. but it works.
  • Who sails with less than 15knts.?

Only kidding with ya, good tunes do go well, brother.
  • I have an eGo waterproof speaker case for my i-pod. Has two amplified speakers that plugs into your ipod. Doesn't do radio stations but works well with my i-pod. Doesn't get really loud, like Andrew said probably over 10-15kts can't hear it. But when the wind dies down it works fairly well. You can find them on amazon for under $100. I sail in fresh water and haven't had any issues with it. I hang mine on the boom in lower wind, and have to rotate it when I tack so the speakers are pointed towards me.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I myself use mp3 player with a lanyard wear it like a necklace with my headphones.Works awesome.But i would go with mp3 player a cheap one,aquapac that allows your wires which they do make,a caribiner to your boom tang or block hanger,small water proof speakers and some velcro for speakers to boom.Thats what i plan on doing Jimbo.
  • Iv always wanted to buy a shower radio for my boat, maybe hang it somewhere on the mass or something, anyone have expirience with this?
  • I just like the sound of the boat slicing through the water and the wind whistling past the sails. icon_smile

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • They make outdoor speakers, just a matter of separating the player from the speakers. A player in the hulls fastened with velcro and a wire sent through a small hole in hull and sealed. Just a thought.

Brad let me know what MP3 player you like best. I want to buy the stock before sailing begins! icon_razz
  • I also love the sound of surf, sails, wind, birds, powerboats, tankers, etc... I dont listen to music all the time... Also serious caution must be used when playing music. Lots of dumb boaters out where i sail.

I have used headset with waterproof ipods.. i kept ripping them out of my head in a jibe, I also have heard of people being choked by keys on line and such... make sure they will break away....

i have a friend who has bose outdoor speakers pointing down from his h21 spreaders (mast). he has 2 dry cel batteries in his hulls and some cd or mp3 system... it is rocking! He also has lights (above and below the waterline) and other power uses.. but he doesn't "race" this cat...

Its all do-able... just time, money, and weight to slow you down
    http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs020.snc1/3047_70404148601_530203601_1693210_5457694_n.jpg

edited by: andrewscott, Apr 30, 2009 - 10:10 PM

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.