Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Masts Down  Bottom

• Hi,

due to some regulations ( nearby citizens didn't like the noise
    of humming masts en halyards ticking) It was masts down last
    weekend... at our club.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=125949&g2_serialNumber=5

Sad, sad, sad,
    Cause it is still around 12-15 dgr C around here, and some very
    nice winds. Sorry to see a nice end of the season like this.
    This pic was last saturday..

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=125950&g2_serialNumber=5

Gonna spend the winter sailing my Etap 22 ft pocket cruiser.
    Made sure an old F18 spi would fit..

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=125954&g2_serialNumber=5

Next is installing a heather....

April 1st is masts up, see y'all and have fun CAT sailing in the
    warmer climates!!

Regards, André

Edited by catmodding on Oct 28, 2016 - 01:41 AM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • We use bungie cords to pull halyards away from masts (connect to shroud). Pete
  • pbegleWe use bungie cords to pull halyards away from masts (connect to shroud). Pete

Yes we did used those, and provided every club-member
    with a special strip. with is hoisted in the mast-slide(?) to
    prevent the masts from howling.
    We got a compromise over a lost law-suit in 1994, it
    stated we had to have masts down at the 3th weekend
    of oktober. Otherwise the club had to be shut down.
    Since its such a beautiful location, we decided to respect
    our neighbors .. Who are F******* Naggers, but anyhow....
    Works wel for 22 years now.

A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Wow, sounds like the neighborhood there has a bunch of uptight nit-pickers who need to get a life. I mean really, I think it's a soothing sound to hear the tap tap sounds of the halyard against the mast, I equate it to wind chimes of sorts, but that's just me. I'll bet they would really hate it if your club was a bunch of motor boats revving and running all throughout the day.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • QuoteI mean really, I think it's a soothing sound to hear the tap tap sounds of the halyard against the mast,

You are pretty much alone in that respect. Even on the Laid Back Wet Coast of B.C., a halyard left loose on a big leaner would elicit a polite request to tighten it.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • martyrI think it's a soothing sound to hear the tap tap sounds of the halyard against the mast, I equate it to wind chimes of sorts, but that's just me.

Not a 2:00 AM!!!!

We're kind of facing a similar thing.... the homeowners have reverted to putting up bird feeders which means bird dung on our boats... hopeing we'll move... we just make sure all the halyard are secured so there is no noise..

Edited by JohnES on Oct 30, 2016 - 06:31 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Okay correction, I guess that a bunch of halyard banging around would be really noisy after all. I was thinking about my one boat when I made that statement. I had mine set up in the backyard for about a month and enjoyed the clanging sounds.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • 30 foot wind chimes...who would object? ticktick

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Looking out the front window, as Andre said, sad sad sad...
    We pulled all except the H18, this was yesterday, Halloween. The N5.0 is on its lift, just to the left of photo, N5.7 at home base.
    Going to sail the Hobie today, if the wind cooperates, the problem being to much. Air is still warm, water getting cold, forecast is for up to 50 clicks this afternoon.
    Have to stay close to home Bay as all my neighbors, along with my own rescue boats are tucked inside.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=125970&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I am lucky enough to have access to a gulfront lot owned by someone who lives overseas and lets about 6 of us keep our cats there. The neighborhood is mostly retirees and I always feel like our days are numbered with 6 guys coming at all different times to tinker and sail these contraptions. So far everyone is very friendly but I'm always extra careful to make sure the masts are quiet and there is no extra gear lying around. Fortunately in Florida, I think beach cats are considered part of the scenery, as long as the boats don't get trashy and stay quiet. I hope I can get a few more years there. If I didn't have mast up, waterfront storage I think my sailing would be cut by about 75%.
  • We stuck a fork in it yesterday. Weather was warm & sunny, wind steady 30, gusting to 50 clicks,(18 G 30mph). Launched the H18 for an hour & half of screaming reaches, near pitchpoled once, & a "both bodies as far over the wing to bring her back" once. Didn't really want to go swimming.
    With enough wind you can flog an old H18 to 20mph with not a single telltale properly streaming. That boat certainly ships more water than the Nacra, going upwind into the swell, I'd swear there lives a troll, with a firehose that can be aimed up through the tramp.
    We stayed within a mile or two of shore, so if things did blow up it wouldn't be an all day drift, or impossible to swim. Never saw another boat of any sort.
    It turned out to be a beautiful sail. Wind south westerly, resulting in only a few mile fetch, & much smoother water than the big rollers a pure south wind gives. Wearing cold water gear makes you feel like the Michelin man, but it's essential, just in case one ends up in the water for several hours.
    Coming back to dock was a bit of a challenge, the water level is now down almost a couple of feet. I should have rounded up further out & drifted onto the dock. I let myself get too shallow, both rudders kicked loose, & it's a b*tch to steer in a strong wind with trailing blades. Luckily my buddy jumped, grabbed the bow & swung it around, just before we took out the dock.
    We debated leaving it in for another couple weeks, just to do a sail in Dec, but decided the extra few days weren't worth it. I got 47 days on the Hobie, a couple more on the N5.0, I think I hear a Fat Lady singing.
    We pulled the last couple sections of dock & dropped the mast, which took longer than it should have as that's the first time I've dropped the H18 mast, & the wind was now pretty much steady around 50 clicks, & I'm remembering a post by Damon about busting mast hinges.
    We left the jib furled on the stay & stuffed the whole thing into the basement, alongside the other masts. They'll all get sorted out & placed on racks near the ceiling, eventually, promise. Besides, I need to install the new jib FX Loop sold me.
    Lastly, we tossed the Seadoo lift onto a stinkpot lift, then rolled the Hobie over & put it back onto it's lift.
    I must hold the record for the most underutilized Cat Trax ever, 75' from shore to storage, twice a year.
    Still, for an old guy, it beats the hell out of trying to manhandle that tank around.
    That's it til next May for us. Masts Down!
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126022&g2_serialNumber=4
    Storage of Nacra 5.7, Nacra 5.0, & H18 Magnum masts in basement.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126044&g2_serialNumber=4
    Lots of room on that ceiling, wife never goes down there, I could hide several more Cats.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126048&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.