Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Thoughts on a Hobie getaway  Bottom

• I have the opportunity to pick up a 2007 getaway for a ridiculously cheap price. What is the group thoughts on the rotomolded poly boat. Any issues i should look for? Thanks
  • Are you a catamaran sailor? Previous experience? Many conditions needed first before any recommendations. Have pics?
    I've seen Getaways from $3500 -$8900 based on that year/condition, trailer included? Previous damage and sail condition, with/without wings ect. all play a part. Otherwise-
    Check for cracks, bent mast, worn sails, age degradation of rigging and possibly things that need replacing. If you are unsure it's a good idea to ask a buddy familiar with getaways to tag along :)

Edited by fxloop on Oct 13, 2016 - 01:16 AM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Not to high jack but I am curious to know how the rotomolded cats hold up compared to the fiberglass ones? Do they age well? Are repairs to the hulls easily made? Are they considered to be more durable than fiberglass? Just wondering because I have absolutely no experience with rotomolded stuff. icon_smile

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • they are lower performance but great for what they are designed for (family fun / rental markets)

like most boats, they are a hoot in higher air

they are VERY durable compared to fiberglass
    they are pretty tough to break (you need to hit a solid object, or just neglect the heck out of it) but once they are broken it is not always a simple fix since you can't just mix up epoxy/gelcoat to repair (from what i am told) -

incase you don't know - rotomold is how plastic kayaks are made (melted plastic pellets poured into a mold that is on a gimble that spins in several angles/direction to spread out the molten plastic)
  • I have worked in the field of injection mold, but had no idea what the "roto" part of roto mold was. Interesting process. Thanks for the explanation.

--
    Marty
    --
  • I'm an experienced sailor but the plastic cats are not my area of expertise. Thanks for the help guys I'll let you know what becomes of it! I'll hopefully get a look at it this weekend and can tell you more
  • My experience with rotomolded cats are positive.

Years ago I camped at the French atlantic coast for summer
    holidays a number of times. Campsite was nearly on the beach.
    Next to the site was a catamaran sailing-school, which had
    8 or 10 Dart 16 cats on the beach.
    Due to the extreme tides, 3 to 5 meters hi/low, sometimes the
    cats ended up like 200 yards from the storage, separated by a
    long rocky beach.

My head fell of when I saw them tie the Dart 16's in a row
    and pull them of the beach with a tractor, over a rock-covered,
    low-tide beach.

Naturally, I asked them about damage-control, the answer was
    they "stitched " up the Darts at the end of the season.
    Using a welding-iron, blowtorch and a stick of hull material to
    make them all ready for the season. Amazing!!

Ended up taking a lesson and hiring the Dart 16, first time
    out an a cat, on the ocean, what a blast !!
    Hooked ever since...

Regards, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • QuoteI have worked in the field of injection mold, but had no idea what the "roto" part of roto mold was. Interesting process. Thanks for the explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc9pKiV5wag
  • Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

--
    Marty
    --
  • Well I bought the getaway. It's in pristine condition and I got it for 950 with the galvanized trailer!
  • Congratulations, sounds like a good buy.

--
    Marty
    --
  • I stoked the boat is totally pristine . It really hasn't been drug up a beach and has all the accessories you can basically buy! it will be really fun for the family. I will eventually probability buy something to race but this is a good addition for family fun. Now I just have to decide if to want to keep my prindle 16?
  • I love my Getaway. I've raced H16's, F16's, and F18's but the utility of the Getaway makes it my favorite boat. With wings it can hold a ton of people. The front tramp give you more space for people and gear. If you don't have one, I would suggest adding an outboard motor to it as well. That will make the ultimate fun boat that works in any conditions.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would add on to this one.

Does anyone have experience with both the Weta trimaran and Hobie Getaway. Portsmouth ratings are similar. Sail solo and with kids 50/50. Have catamaran and trimaran experience. In above 20 mph Im usually kiteboarding. I would probably put asymmetric kite on the hobie also. The Weta seems to be better solo, Im 185 lbs.

Thanks

Jeff
  • I've not sailed a Getaway but I have sailed a Weta for 3 years. Here's some info from my experience and gleaned from other foums:
    - The Weta is faster than the roto-moulded resort Hobies. It is almost, but not quite as fast as the venerable H16.
    - You can use a Weta in a much wider wind range than a cat - I was racing solo in gusts of 36 knots recently. A UK Weta owner in Scotland aged 70+ with the furling jib was the only boat not to capsize in his fleet when a 56 knot squall hit.
    - You can right a Weta on your own in about 4 minutes (even in 36 knots - see above).
    - You can get 16+ knots in a Weta sailing solo with ease and 20+ sailing 2-up
    - Wetas have enough buoyancy for 3 adults and are very stable as long as you heed the warning signs (so much so they are being evaluated for the Paralympics)
    - It's easy to de-tune the Weta for kids to sail (remove/furl the kite/jib)
    - A larger square-top main and larger kite are available for the Weta if you sail in a low-wind location
    - There are 1300 Wetas worldwide (see tinyurl.com/wetaworldmap) with established fleets in many countries
    for racing and they are being used for the World Masters Games in Auckland in April 2017.
    - Much easier to sail a Weta well than a hobie16
    The average cross-over sailor is probably going to be faster around the course on a Weta than a Hobie16, Wave or Getaway but well sailed 15-16' trapeze racing cats are going to walk away from the 14' Weta with their much bigger upwind and reaching sails.
    You can rig a Weta in 20 minutes. It weighs around 120lbs fully rigged, components are lightweight with extensive use of carbon and it's easy to launch/retrieve single handed (even launching/retrieval from a dock as I do). The Getaway is over 400lbs and is a PITA to launch/retrieve solo apparently.
    Summary
    For sheer performance you would give the nod to trapeze beachcats but for; storage (requires the space of a Laser), versatility, solo-righting and relaxed sailing across a broader range of conditions you would give the nod to the Weta.
  • Well I'll tell you since we got this boat we have been sailing the crap out of it! I absolutely love this boat. Easy to sail and super comfortable! I managed last weekend to take 8 people out and it still got up and moved in a good breeze! The coolers make it s great beer cruiser for the boys or holds lots of snacks and juices for the kids. I really thought at first when I bought it I would keep it a year or so and try to sell to get into a nacra! Now I'm not so sure! It's the only boat that I can take my wife and five kids for a cruise and everyone has a blast. I can let the kids sail it and not worry of putting them into something that is a little wild!
  • In my 20's I sailed my H16 regularly. Got married,had kids, sold the hobie. I just turned 60 and purchased a Getaway. Great boat for my wife and I. We have be sailing out in the gulf near Dunedin Fl. The boat moves well . I can keep up with The hobies and Prindle cats out there. Planning a Christmas weekend camping trip to Cayo Costa as it can carry a lot of gear. Very happy with it though I still have a soft spot for my old 16.

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • In my 20's I sailed my H16 regularly. Got married,had kids, sold the hobie. I just turned 60 and purchased a Getaway. Great boat for my wife and I. We have be sailing out in the gulf near Dunedin Fl. The boat moves well . I can keep up with The hobies and Prindle cats out there. Planning a Christmas weekend camping trip to Cayo Costa as it can carry a lot of gear. Very happy with it though I still have a soft spot for my old 16.

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • QuoteDoes anyone have experience with both the Weta trimaran and Hobie Getaway.

I've been on both - do you have a question here?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.