Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need beach wheels, will these work on my 18?  Bottom

• Renting a CT beach house for Labor day weekend and need a set of beach wheels asap.

I was going to ask this person if they would part out, are these cattrax? Would they work on my 18? Thanks
    http://worcester.craigsli….org/boa/5722269427.html
  • those appear to be cat trax, I'm sure they will probably work but cradles on the cat trax work better for the 18's
  • Those are the same ones I use. If they don' hold air then drill a big hole in the sidewall of the tire and fill it with 2 part post hole foam from home depot. I think it took about 2 bags per wheel for mine. It's not super cheap but way better than the cost of new wheels. You can put an 18 on them without the cradles but it's going to eventually put a dent in the hulls. Short term you'll survive but at a minimum put a few wraps of old carpet around the rollers. That will help a lot.

I made some cradles for mine but that would take more time than you have.
  • They will work, however, they are the original cat trax and I believe those wheels are no longer available which means if you blow a tire (which is likely on ~30 year old wheels), you will have to replace the whole wheel assembly which gets pricey. Also, in my experience, people selling $1100 Hobies are not typically interested in parting things out. They just want someone to hitch up the whole boat and get it out of their yard.

sm
  • You may want to try Rick Bliss at New England Catamaran and see if he could help you with a short term solution...

If I was close I would say come by and grab mine for the weekend but be sure to leave a nice bottle of scotch behind.... Of course any unused portion will be refunded upon the return of the wheels... icon_lol

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Thanks for the input guys. The seller was willing to part with it for $150 so I'm going to pick it up tonight as long as the tires aren't completely cooked....
  • Son of a gun! $150 for beach wheels. You're killin' me.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • car_guyThanks for the input guys. The seller was willing to part with it for $150 so I'm going to pick it up tonight as long as the tires aren't completely cooked....

This is that stuff I was talking about that I filled my wheels with. 2 bags per tire.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sika-33-fl-oz-Fence-Post-Mix-483503/205671519

Have been using them that way for the whole summer and it seems rock solid and will never randomly be flat ever.
  • http://www.murrays.com/13-1401-9.html
    Those work perfectly

Edited by Andinista on Aug 31, 2016 - 07:49 AM.
  • tominpaSon of a gun! $150 for beach wheels. You're killin' me.

Don't be so hard on yourself.. you have a set of brand new one's - no worries for decades of use (unlike used tires that may not be easy to replace)

ps i just sold an extremely beat up pair (severely cracked cradles, carpet falling off, cut axle to extend to a 8'6" boat) for $300 last spring

what you own is sturdy as heck, and will hold its resail value (get it - resail) :)
  • Backyard Boats shipped the axle end caps and rubber hose cushions in case i ever need them. I'll put on the end-caps to prevent any damage to the boat. So I guess I have no complaints. It sure makes it easier to beach the boat, and that is no small consideration at my age.

The thing about buying a Beachcat at 32 is, 30 years later you're 62. It's getting harder to wrestle this pig up the beach.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • tominpaBackyard Boats shipped the axle end caps and rubber hose cushions in case i ever need them. I'll put on the end-caps to prevent any damage to the boat. So I guess I have no complaints. It sure makes it easier to beach the boat, and that is no small consideration at my age.

The thing about buying a Beachcat at 32 is, 30 years later you're 62. It's getting harder to wrestle this pig up the beach.

Crap what do you mean at your age? I'm the same age as you and dang next to 95% of all the other sailors that are twice my age I feel like I'm in highschool any time I go to a race.

That being said I have a jacked up rotator cuff and a back that recently likes to blow out on me so maybe you're right and we are all falling apart..
  • lots of guys turn to a-cats as they get older and don't want to wrasstle a 30' mast and or a 400 - 500 lbs boat

about a decade ago they held the Harken A-Cat races on our causeway
    we watched these 60 and 70 year olds single hand their masts and boats like it was made of straw.

I asked one of the sailors if i could feel how light his dagger board was - he said "i will cost you $15,000, because after you feel it .. you will want need one" - he then handed me the board. it felt lighter than the bungee i used on my hobie18 dagger board

If our area was better suited for a-cats, i probably would have one
    (we have very shallow bays and lots of sea grass and tons of floating grass that washed in from the gulf at certain times of the year - i heard it was from boats that drag nets on the seafloor but not sure where it comes from)
  • MN3lots of guys turn to a-cats as they get older and don't want to wrasstle a 30' mast and or a 400 - 500 lbs boat

Just sayin, that with the hull buried 6" into the sand and gravel, it's a bitch to move that cat uphill on the beach. With the wheels, I'm young again, still step the mast (but might design a rig). An A-Cat would be amazing, but not currently in the budget.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • nankang n800 slick might work as a replacement.
    somebody in Alsip, IL needs to bop over and eyeball these....
    j
    http://www.metroindustria…s-inventory.htm?id=-4697

http://tiresunlimited.com/nankang_atv_tires.htm

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/customshowcase/32a04725-1fea-4d4e-a44f-09bacbb39726/-110/products/showdisplay/cb8adcca-29c1-47a6-82f3-6e2045ee2d3a.jpg

Edited by arch on Sep 02, 2016 - 02:19 AM.

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • The man that sold me my H16 was in his late 60's and his age was the reason for selling. I'm 50 and will be 51 on September 15, in case anyone wants to send beer, thank goodness my boat came with a set of Cat Trax that look brand new, so maybe I'll be sailing for at least a decade, hopefully. Lol.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • tominpaSon of a gun! $150 for beach wheels. You're killin' me.

Hah! Believe me they weren't a bargin... in rough shape... if I didn't need them for this weekend I would of happily spent more on a better set.
  • martyrThe man that sold me my H16 was in his late 60's and his age was the reason for selling. I'm 50 and will be 51 on September 15, in case anyone wants to send beer, thank goodness my boat came with a set of Cat Trax that look brand new, so maybe I'll be sailing for at least a decade, hopefully. Lol.

I sail with a 73 year old. he regularly beats us to the beach and wins races
  • When the time comes to replace the wheels and tires this was the best price that we could find. Many people replace them one at a time as they go bad to save some money. You can also use tire plugs to extend the life of the tires for a little while if they are not cracked too bad.

http://www.onlinemarinest…oduct=14568&idcategory=0

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.