Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Is this allowed in racing?  Bottom

• Lets say it's blowing like crazy in a race and you are struggling to keep the boat down. What if you had a righting bag type thing and scooped up 30lbs of water ballast and hung it off your shoulder or trap line or just had it on the windward hull. You'd go faster and then could dump it out to save the weight for the downwind leg...

Beyond the practical implementation of such a thing is there a rule against it?
  • no, not at all. In fact the rules limit the size of a camelback that you are allowed to carry.
  • What if I mawore a wet suit made out of thick shammy cloth and just squeegied myself down at the weather mark?...

Edited by tamumpower1 on Aug 24, 2016 - 08:15 PM.
  • Isn't that the main climax point of the John candy movie summer rental?

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • WolfmanIsn't that the main climax point of the John candy movie summer rental?

I think it puts his pants up the mast right?
  • Actually, ... YES. Not allowed. RRS says you can't wear more than (some number like 22 pounds), all in including wetsuit, boots, underwear, sweater, sponsor's shirt, whatever. And you can't have "moveable ballast". You can have a camelback but it has to be on the boat on centreline and not on your back.

Notes: Sometimes if it's cold at regattas they allow more than 22 pounds since they think you'll want to wear lots of warm clothes. Once upon a time sailors wore jackets made of sweatshirts or wore a vest filled with water bottles to increase weight when hiking. This caused lots of lower back problems, I got a twinge just there, and so it got banned. If I was less lazy I'd look up what the maximum weight is. I've seen a guy standing there in his underwear watching them dunk his sailing stuff and weigh it. He got three tries and made it on the third try, just.
  • I got curious. 8 kilograms is about 17.6 pounds.

43 COMPETITOR CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT
    Competitors shall not wear or carry clothing or equipment for the purpose of increasing their weight.
    Furthermore, a competitor’s clothing and equipment shall not weigh more than 8 kilograms, excluding a hiking or trapeze harness and clothing (including footwear) worn only below the knee. Class rules or sailing instructions may specify a lower weight or a higher weight up to 10 kilograms. Class rules may include footwear and other clothing worn below the knee within that weight. A hiking or trapeze harness shall have positive buoyancy and shall not weigh more than 2 kilograms, except that class rules may specify a higher weight up to 4 kilograms. Weights shall be determined as required by Appendix H.
    When an equipment inspector or a measurer in charge of weighing clothing and equipment believes a competitor may have broken rule 43.1(a) or 43.1(b) he shall report the matter in writing to the race committee.
  • this type of "cheat" is against the rule of sportsmanship (your Blue Blazer will be confiscated and your skippers cap too -)

http://www.sailing.org/to…gRRS20172020-[20946].pdf

FUNDAMENTAL RULES
    1 SAFETY
    1.1 Helping Those in Danger
    A boat or competitor shall give all possible help to any person or
    vessel in danger.
    1.2 Life-Saving Equipment and Personal Flotation Devices
    A boat shall carry adequate life-saving equipment for all persons on
    board, including one item ready for immediate use, unless her class
    rules make some other provision. Each competitor is individually
    responsible for wearing a personal flotation device adequate for the
    conditions.
    2 FAIR SAILING
    A boat and her owner shall compete in compliance with recognized
    principles of sportsmanship and fair play.
    A boat may be penalized
    under this rule only if it is clearly established that these principles
    have been violated. The penalty shall be either disqualification or
    disqualification that is not excludable.

Edited by MN3 on Aug 25, 2016 - 10:24 AM.
  • Well that's a bummer. Just when I think I'm gettin smart haha
  • What is that saying I use to hear from my parents as a kid...."if you have to ask if what your doing is right, chances are it isn't."

Edited by JohnES on Aug 25, 2016 - 11:06 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.