Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Double trap p16  Bottom

• Anyone have a dual trap setup on their p16? I want to set mine up with duals for when my boys sail it. They are pretty light so I'm just wondering if it might be overkill.
  • Absolutely essential for heavy air. And have them learn to tack from the wire. Pete
  • A little advanced sailing skill for them at this point but that's the plan! Thanks Pete!
  • Double trap was an option, but a lot of P16s had them.
    It is a continuous wire from the crew end, up to the hound and then back down for the skipper on each side of the cat.
    Double swage the ends above the thimbles, not so important for the thimble at the top.
    Salty Dog Marine and others know what to do, or you can make your own.
    Buying used standing rigging is not usually recommended.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Hi!

I have double trap on P16. I use not wire but 3mm dyneema and works great! A lot of fun when is blowing more than 12 knots:)

On this video you can see:
    https://vimeo.com/167222470

--
    Kuba,

1980 Prindle 16
    Hobie Wave
    --
  • Kuba! That's an awesome video! Thanks for sharing
  • Dyneema is a great choice, and very economical. Easy to splice and you can splice slip knots/loops in it to make it easily adjustable. Once you get accustomed to working with it you'll find all sorts of uses for it.

As far as double trapping a P16, not overkill at all, especially for a light crew. Also it is an inexpensive add on that is not in the way if you choose not to use it
  • Just researched the Deneen's and that seems the way to go for sure! I'm not much for splicing but I can tie knots!
  • Thanks. I have one witch is better to see double trapezze but not on vimeo but on facebook. I will send it later. I use bowline knot.

Edited by kuba730 on Aug 14, 2016 - 04:11 PM.

--
    Kuba,

1980 Prindle 16
    Hobie Wave
    --
  • Thanks. I have one witch is better to see double trapezze but not on vimeo but on facebook. I will send it later. I use rescue life knot.

--
    Kuba,

1980 Prindle 16
    Hobie Wave
    --
  • Hi,

here is another video with double trapeze!
    Enjoy:)

https://vimeo.com/179641462

Edited by kuba730 on Aug 21, 2016 - 10:19 AM.

--
    Kuba,

1980 Prindle 16
    Hobie Wave
    --
  • From Sunday (short film double trap all the time ;)
    https://vimeo.com/180799739

--
    Kuba,

1980 Prindle 16
    Hobie Wave
    --
  • Quote I'm not much for splicing but I can tie knots!

knots are not a great solution for these (edit) High Modulus(end edit) "steel cable like" lines.

with enough force the knot will cut (edit) through itself(end edit).that's why riggers use eyesplices, and the bitter ends are tapered because the abrupt edge on the line can cause problems (edit) / failures(end edit).

now if your using 4mm dyneema ... the breaking strength is so ridiculously high that it's very unlikely that the weight of a few humans (even with extreme forces i.e. peter-panning, or being whipped around during a flip) i doubt it would be an issue (edit)it would be spectacular to be thrown a few dozen feet from your boat... just aim for water(end edit)

BUT chafe is a big issue here and is why many beach cats don't use high modulus lines for rigging. You have to make sure your trap lines won't rub on hounds, shackles, stays or your gonna frey your lines continuously

Edited by MN3 on Sep 01, 2016 - 12:13 PM.
  • Kuba I'm loving your videos man! Makes me want to go sail now!
  • jettywookieKuba I'm loving your videos man! Makes me want to go sail now!

Special for you:)
    https://vimeo.com/182443641

--
    Kuba,

1980 Prindle 16
    Hobie Wave
    --
  • [quote=jalex]Dyneema ...Easy to splice and you can splice slip knots/loops in it to make it easily adjustable. Once you get accustomed to working with it you'll find all sorts of uses for it.

I just looked at some splicing videos on YouTube...looks like some kind of voodoo magic

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.