Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Boats That You Have Owned  Bottom

• Kind of reflected this the other day... seems like getting my first cat in 1982 was yesterday..

First - 1982 Prindle 18... Got it brand new from The Catamaran Store in North Hollywood, CA... couple of months later a kid runs a stop light and totals it. icon_frown Glad they had insurance....

Second - 1982 Prindle 18... had that one for number for years and it went up and down the west coast and even coast to coast... Showed up at the Sandi Hook Catamaran Club for the Statue of Liberty Race with the California registrations still on the boat and trailer... that raised a few eyebrows... icon_razz

Third - 1984 Prindle 16... fast little single handler and a great boat for sailing Long Beach Harbor...

Fourth - 1985 Prindle 18... almost new $500 boat, who could turn this down, got to love charity auctions.

Fifth - 1988 Prindle 18-2... another deal that couldn't be turned down and I always wanted one.

Sixth - 1990 NACRA 5.8... even with the stock beat set of sails this boat was rock solid and fast.... the new sails whooooooooo hooooo... That boat is now somewhere in Texas.. I think!!!!

Seventh - 1988 Prindle 18-2... a solid $900 boat... still can't believe I sold it for a lot more.. woohoo

Eighth - 2001 NACRA / Inter 20... awesome boat.... but the market on these boats was dropping and was able to get out of it with some pocket change.

Ninth - 2003 NACRA F-18 - great boat.... but didn't get used as much as I would have like to have. Couldn't stand to see it sitting these... It got a new home in Chile.

Tenth - 1981 Prindle 18..... Looks like I have come full circle almost 34 years later...

Lots of good times.....

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • What was the biggest change? I would guess from the P18 to the P18-2? I remember thinking nothing was better than a Hobie 16 and then I randomly bought and H18 and couldn't believe how much better it sailed, then I got tired of wrestling it on the beach so I am back to a 16 and happy. I will never forget my dark days in the monohull world. Slow, wrestling with outboards, tides, slips, getting back to beachcats was a ray of sunshine for me.
  • hobie 16 - $1200 est
    hobie 18 - $400
    mystere 5.5 $3200
    mystere 6.0 custom - a lot but tons of custom fabrications
    mystere 5.5 (parts boat) sans mast, trailer, mainsail - $1000
  • I sold my Stiletto 27 at the nationals in 2013. I have since bought a Prindle 18 classic. Although initially I regretted selling it, I have spent much more time on the water the last two seasons. It's easy to forget how easy it is to be flying across the water in a matter of minutes. All of my storage costs and property taxes have plummeted. I can't take ten people sailing anymore, but overall, I am happier back on my small cat. I'm still thinking I might have to get another Stiletto 23, but I do love the ease of my new/old beachcat.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • Hobie 16 1984-1988 yellow with rumrunner sails
    joined Navy, went to college. No boat but rented a Stiletto 27 in San Diego in 1998 and got the dream re-lit.
    Catalina 25 1998-2005 (really wanted a multihull but the price was right)
    Hobie 18 2005-
    G Cat 5.7 2015-
  • jalexWhat was the biggest change? I would guess from the P18 to the P18-2?

More so going to the NACRA 5.8 Norte - Merica rig... the boom-less main took a while to figure out along with the mast rotator, and that upper Manhattan apartment size jib sail... broad reaches were awesome... It had a lot more power and was a hair trigger with flipping if not managed correctly and also moving up to a spinnaker with that boat...

The transition from the 18 to the 18-2 was pretty benign... there were a few more adjustments but setting up the boat with the rudders, mast stepping, and a few other Prindle nuances made the transition easy... and you could still run that boat up on the beach with not worrying too much about trashing the boards or rudders...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Quick rundown:
    Supercat 20, bought by parents, sailed for years, brother still sails it
    H16 Boomer, High school boat
    H16 Tequila Sunrise, College boat
    H18M, Married without kids boat
    H21SE, Married with 3 kids boat

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • 78 Hobie 14 $600 (Wifes)
    78 Venture 15 straight hull (free)+ new Odlstock sail with a mouse 4 "hole $125. free trailer. Several buckets of elbow grease. Made a jib sail for the rolling furler. Love it for the little ponds I get to sail in.

Edited by goldwingnut on Jun 06, 2016 - 11:34 PM.
  • My addiction began with a humble Macgregor 15 in my early twenties, when I first moved to Montana. Eventually graduated to a real cat, my first H16. Sailed the hell outta that, and later began collecting them, rescuing them from weeds and lake cabins across three states. Every two or three retrievals would result in a complete boat I could sell for a few bucks to further support the habit. At one point there were six 16s in the yard in various states of completion. A Reynolds 21 then joined the fleet, and served me well for seven or eight years, exploring Lake Roosevelt(behind Grand Coulee Dam), Lake Slocan in the Canadian Rockies, and eventually Flathead Lake when we bought a cabin there. Kept the Reynolds over there for the weekends, and discovered I needed a boat or two closer to home for those week days when it would blow locally. Still had a 16 for Lake Spokane, and acquired a Supercat 20 for Lake Couer d' Alene in Idaho. Which made the Reynolds seem a bit sluggish. So it was replaced with Flight Risk, a gorgeous 24' x14' custom built cat that provided many thrills, and a fair amount of composite construction needed to keep the lightweight machine on the water. Eventually parted with the 20 because I didn't think I was sailing it enough, regret it to this day. But a Boyer A cat showed u,p which helped ease the pain. Somewhere (probably here!) I saw a great deal on an F16 Stealth, maybe the only one in the US, and then began a lovely relationship with the legendary Hobiegary, the seller. So it joined the fleet as well. I now had two boats on Flathead, allowing quick access to the best wind bays, and a boat here in Tum Tum, and the A in MN for my annual summer visit to friends and family. One day on Flathead I zipped into Skeeko Bay, and offered a sailor anchored there a ride aboard Flight Risk. A powered up day that ended with Brad asking if I knew of any similar boats, that he NEEDED one. Being fully abreast of the market, I suggested an ARC22 that was for sale in Florida. Three weeks later we're partners in a very fine piece of machinery. Five years ago I bought a pair of SC20 out of northern CA, spruced up one and sold it to Michigan, and the other's still in the yard awaiting sufficient motivation.

My advancing age and impending retirement has prompted a measured culling of the herd, knowing that I was going to have a bit less cash to throw at boat. Flight Risk found a new home on the Chesapeake, the A acquired a happy new owner in MN who lends her back to me whenever I show up. And I get to play with Fleet 444 on Lake Pepin as a bonus! The 16s are all gone, I'm down to the ARC, the Stealth, and the unfinished 20. Just fired up Lunatic Fringe this last weekend, as the water finally came up enough to use the lift. Another season under way........
  • My addiction began with a humble Macgregor 15 in my early twenties, when I first moved to Montana. Eventually graduated to a real cat, my first H16. Sailed the hell outta that, and later began collecting them, rescuing them from weeds and lake cabins across three states. Every two or three retrievals would result in a complete boat I could sell for a few bucks to further support the habit. At one point there were six 16s in the yard in various states of completion. A Reynolds 21 then joined the fleet, and served me well for seven or eight years, exploring Lake Roosevelt(behind Grand Coulee Dam), Lake Slocan in the Canadian Rockies, and eventually Flathead Lake when we bought a cabin there. Kept the Reynolds over there for the weekends, and discovered I needed a boat or two closer to home for those week days when it would blow locally. Still had a 16 for Lake Spokane, and acquired a Supercat 20 for Lake Couer d' Alene in Idaho. Which made the Reynolds seem a bit sluggish. So it was replaced with Flight Risk, a gorgeous 24' x14' custom built cat that provided many thrills, and a fair amount of composite construction needed to keep the lightweight machine on the water. Eventually parted with the 20 because I didn't think I was sailing it enough, regret it to this day. But a Boyer A cat showed u,p which helped ease the pain. And then an F18HT showed up one day, and filled the 20's spot on CdA Beach. Somewhere (probably here!) I saw a great deal on an F16 Stealth, maybe the only one in the US, and its acquistion began a lovely great friendship with the legendary Hobiegary, the seller. So it joined the fleet as well. I now had two boats on Flathead, allowing quick access to the best wind bays, a two man boat on the big lake in north Idaho, a boat here at home in Tum Tum, and the A in MN for my annual summer visit to friends and family.
    One day on Flathead I zipped into Skeeko Bay, and offered a sailor anchored there, a ride aboard Flight Risk. A powered up day that ended with Brad asking if I knew of any similar boats, that he NEEDED one. Being fully abreast of the market, I suggested an ARC22 that was for sale in Florida. Three weeks later we're partners in a very fine piece of machinery.

Then five years ago I bought a pair of SC20 out of northern CA, spruced up one and sold it to Michigan, and the other's still in the yard awaiting sufficient motivation.

My advancing age and impending retirement has prompted a measured culling of the herd, knowing that I was going to have a bit less cash to throw at boats. Flight Risk found a new home on the Chesapeake, the A acquired a happy new owner in MN who lends her back to me whenever I show up. And I get to play with Fleet 444 on Lake Pepin as a bonus! The 16s are all gone, I'm down to the ARC, the Stealth, and the unfinished 20. Just fired up Lunatic Fringe this last weekend, as the water finally came up enough to use the lift. Another season under way........

Edited by davefarmer on Jun 06, 2016 - 11:35 PM.
  • Jeez, I've only had the one love of my life, a NACRA 5.2 since 1976. Bought it new for something like $3,200 and it has provided a lot of smiles per mile over the years. I've just retired too and now have the time to really rework this very straight forward boat. When I look at the bigger and faster boats I sort of drool, but that could just be the age thing.............Other kinds of boats have come and gone at my house, but this boat has always stayed.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • It is interesting to read the progression if boats sailors go thru as I have had the same experience. My first cat was a McGregor Venture 15'. It was a thrill for me as I was for a brief period the fastest sailboat on the lake. Next was a Tornado which is loved but it was virtually impossible to sail without crew. Next was a Mystere 17 - it was a smaller Tornado and I could beat any H16 without any effort. the hulls got soft so I then purchased and Mystere 5M. I never liked that boat - so then picked up a H17. I added a Jib and it was a marvellous boat. I made the mistake of buying a Weta. I just couldn't get the performance out of that boat so I told it and bought another H17 which I sold when I spotted a FX one for sale. I quickly made a deal on that and am presently sailing it. I am now 85 years old and looking for something a little less demanding. I see the C14 out of Austriala looks very interesting but it is still in the development stage. I just hope i con hang on for a few more years to buy snd sail it. I feel very fortunate to be able to sail (and ski) at my age.
  • By 1973 I'd had 6 H-16's on Lake St Clair east of Detroit. Learned of the Prindle 16 and soon bought 3 sight unseen becoming Detroit dealer & eventually Eastern U.S. rep. Had a Shark $ Sol Cats along the way and became Stiletto dealer in 1976 racing up Lake Huron 4 times, around Long Is. 4 times & nationals 5 times. When another recession came to Detroit in '79, came to Ca as Stiletto dealer although in '82 production ceased. Opened a windsurf shop in L.A. harbor area for next 15 years but collect various Prindles & Tornados along the way. Retired now in Big Bear, Ca. with a collection of H-18's, Tornados & Prindles, but newest quest is to foil. Purchased a Weta trimaran in March. Bought a Fastacraft Moth rudder foil last year, a kiteboard foil from Mexico (for dagger well). and now a pair of A-cat C foils for the amas. Can't wait to get started. Pete
  • lakeemma I am now 85 years old and looking for something a little less demanding. I see the C14 out of Austriala looks very interesting but it is still in the development stage. I just hope i con hang on for a few more years to buy and sail it. I feel very fortunate to be able to sail (and ski) at my age.

An inspiration! After turning 60 this year (seems strange to type that) I sometimes find myself wondering how long I'll be able to sail beachcats. Now I know there is no limit.

Thanks,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • My first boat was in 1978 a Hobie 16. At the time I wanted a Hobie 18, but was talked into a 16. In 1982 traded the 16 in on a Hobie 18. Loved the boat. The in 1984 bought a Hobie 33. Around 1988 sold the H18 to get a Prindle 19 as that was the hot fleet. The 19 was a great boat, but at little more troublesome keep the bits working. Around 2003 got into a RC27 with a fellow N6.0 sailor. The 27 is a bit of a program to sail/race. So got another Hobie 18. Now have 2 so the whole family can race together. When it blows hard, the Hobie 18 just loves to run. Still my favorite boat. (mainly because the RC 27 can just be scary) So, still have the 33, the 27 and the 2 H18's.
  • lakeemmaI am now 85 years old and looking for something a little less demanding.

Wow... I mean wow..... only one word comes to mind... inspirational. I hope to make it to 85 let alone still be sailing beach cats.

DamonLinkous
    After turning 60 this year

In the same boat (pun).... it is strange... I got to find that essay I wrote in junior high from the Beatles song "When I'm 64."

Edited by JohnES on Jun 07, 2016 - 09:38 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Out today for the second time this year. Having a great sail when over it went. I have a righting pole but couldn't get up on the hull to use it. Fortunately manpower boater came to help and we finally drifted into shore where several more assisted in getting it up. I just wish that Goodall would hurry up with that C14 - I guess I'm getting too old for the FX one.
  • Hobie 16 I bought from a friends dad. It was brown.
    Hobie 16 I put together from scrapped boats. Named it Frankenstein.
    Nacra 5.8. Restored it with a buddy. Had some great adventures. Sailed from Siesta Key to Key West.
    Nacra 5.0. 5.8 was a little too big to pull up and down the beach. Sold it to invest in tech boom stocks to buy a fancier boat. Lost it all.
    Just bought a Hobie 21 SC two weeks ago and am working on restoring it.

Tim
  • Have decided to sell my FX one as I am not agile enough to get the best out of it. Started looking for a make H17 and they have become hard to find. I'm in Western Canada so started checking - found one in B.C. none for sale in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba but did find another one in Ottawa area in Ontario. I opted for the one in B.C. as it is only a days drive to pick it up. Can't wait for the C14 out of Australia. In any case that make 3 Hobies, plus the FX one, 2 Mysteres, one each of Tornado's, McGregor Venture, and a Weta. With luck I may get to experience a few more. Now I looking forward to the ski season.

Larry

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.