Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

San Juan Islands  Bottom

• Anyone here sail much around the San Juans? I'm looking for quiet beaches where I can beach my boat and camp. I know there are the marine trail sites and the state parks, but I've had trouble finding info on who manages the smaller islands and out-of-the-way beaches (the ones that aren't privately owned). Sailing out of Bellingham, so for now I'm trying to figure out if I can stay on Portage island or Lummi rocks without being afoul of any rules. Seems like each island is managed by a different agency, each with its own usage guidelines. Thanks for any ideas.

--
    Bellingham, WA
    Hobie 21SC
    --
  • There are lots of places to take your cat in the San Juans. From your side getting over to Sucia is easy. Rather than deal with Bellingham Bay though I would suggest launching from behind Lummi Island. There are a couple of important details to be prepared for when sailing in this area. First a VHF radio is really important to have for a couple of reasons. If you get into trouble it is nice to be able to talk to those nice people with powerboats, or the Coast Guard if it got really nuts (I needed the radio and didn't have one once when the wind went calm for 10 hours). 2nd have a GPS so when it fogs in on you, there is a chance you can figure out where you are and where you need to get to. In that same vein, an air horn, cause it really sucks when you hear the one on the ferry or the big ship and you can't see it. Remember this is a busy commercial vessel area and they can't see you sometimes, so also taking steps to make your boat show up on radar is a good idea.

There are several good commercial maps for the area that detail the public and private areas as well as guide books for the area. You need to also pay attention to the depths in several areas. Would not be fun to be ripping along and find one of the reefs. The powerboaters leave outdrives on the bottom in several places in the islands, so make sure you do your research for the areas you transit. As for beaches friendly to cats there are many, in fact I can't think of any of the state park areas that didn't have somewhere to get the boat on the beach, but remember the tides and sort out how to deal with them. Beaching a heavy boat at high tide on a barnacle filled beach might mean waiting a while to launch.

This is probably one of the coolest places in the world to sail. Just do your homework before you go and be prepared to change your plans if the weather delivers a setback. In the summer fog is a big issue particularly toward the eastern side going down toward Annacortes.

One of my best stories ever is of a week I spent sailing the San Juans on my NACRA 5.2. More adventures then I can lie about in an evening. Also learned some valuable lessons the hard way.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Agreed, the San Juans are amazing. I'm coming from an SJ 24 (now for sale) that took me to more than a few of the islands and got me in to a couple sticky situations, the most embarrassing of which ended in a ride with the Coast Guard. Certainly won't be going far without radio, GPS, etc. I've got a little outboard so more worried about too much wind than too little.

On a week long trip did you just bring a sack of batteries for the electronics? Did you do anything for nav lights? Part of me is tempted to put a small 12V system on my boat. On the other hand, the main reason I moved to the cat was to spend more time sailing and less time fixing stuff like that.

I've got a Waggoner guide and charts so I can find most of the established spots, I guess I'm trying to find out if there are legal places for smaller boats that they don't include in the cruising guides. Maybe I should be looking for a good kayak forum?

The Hobie is new to me. On the way to pick it up I passed what looked like a NACRA being trailered on highway 20 near Burlington, doubt is was you but good to know there are a few around.

--
    Bellingham, WA
    Hobie 21SC
    --
  • there's another guy in your area that sails San Juan islands. He used to own a Nacra20 but then maybe sold it a year or so ago. He might be able to give you some more suggestions about sailing the islands. I will look up his name here and PM you...

...just get some portable LED lights and extra batteries...it's so cheap these days that installing any system simply ain't worth the time/money. Get an EPIRB if you don't already have one and then maybe consider a satellite radio system like SPOT or Delorme for longer trips. It will allow you to exchange location and information with family and friends on longer trips where you probably will be out of cell phone range. I use Delorme's InReach iridium sat phone/GPS on camping trips. It also serves as a backup emergency SOS system if your VHF or EPIRB fail.

jollyrodgerAgreed, the San Juans are amazing. I'm coming from an SJ 24 (now for sale) that took me to more than a few of the islands and got me in to a couple sticky situations, the most embarrassing of which ended in a ride with the Coast Guard. Certainly won't be going far without radio, GPS, etc. I've got a little outboard so more worried about too much wind than too little.

On a week long trip did you just bring a sack of batteries for the electronics? Did you do anything for nav lights? Part of me is tempted to put a small 12V system on my boat. On the other hand, the main reason I moved to the cat was to spend more time sailing and less time fixing stuff like that.

I've got a Waggoner guide and charts so I can find most of the established spots, I guess I'm trying to find out if there are legal places for smaller boats that they don't include in the cruising guides. Maybe I should be looking for a good kayak forum?

The Hobie is new to me. On the way to pick it up I passed what looked like a NACRA being trailered on highway 20 near Burlington, doubt is was you but good to know there are a few around.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • When I did the week in the islands electronics didn't exist, so no worries about batteries. Just went blind and stupid. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I got to meet some very nice fisherman about 10 PM in the dark on the last day when I was trying to get back (my boat did not have any lights and I sailed up behind them and scared the crap out of them when I yelled at them). I told them I would join as crew and go wherever they wanted to take me. They decided they didn't need a goofy kid aboard so they took me and towed my boat back to the launch by Lummi Island a long long way from where they were going that night.

Fisherman and Powerboaters can be your friends when you sail in this area.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • @marekli thanks. I think you're right about the lights. The San Juans have, depending on your outlook, either surprisingly or disappointingly good cell coverage. I keep mine in a waterproof case on board. EPIRB would probably be a safer bet, but I'll probably hold off on that unless I realize my dream of getting farther up the coast.
    @dmgbear55 that's awesome. Sometimes I feel like we have it too easy with the electronics these days!

--
    Bellingham, WA
    Hobie 21SC
    --
  • Electronics are part of the solution for safe boating but you still need some brains to sort it out when you go beyond the boundaries of the box they create. I should have also added that I would put some flares on the boat now. So at least when you go totally completely nuts you have a way to burn the damn boat down. I have seen the movies about sailboats getting becalmed in the ocean and the sailors going nuts. Well a beachcat sailor really does not like the idea of a fast boat not going anywhere. If I had had a gun that day......................for sure the boat would not have done well.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.