Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New Youth Nacra  Bottom

• The new Nacra 15 looks like a really neat boat, but will it help or hinder youth sailing in the US? I have two sons who are proficient sailors largely due to a great Youth sailing program provided by the Ninnescah Sailing Association. They started on Opti's and now can sail my Prindle 18 in any wind conditions. They both sail and race often on the Hobie Wave. In my area, you can find a good Hobie wave for around $1500 to $2000 dollars. What does the Nacra 15 cost? I am assuming that my Yacht club is not going to be able to afford even one, little less a fleet. How can we bring new young sailors forward to compete against the world, when they can't afford to be competitive. We continue to make sailing an "elitist" sport by trying to stay with the newest, hottest technology. Wouldn't the Hobie Wave continue to be a more affordable option for most Sailing clubs?

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • I think, Like it or not, the new trend is foiling catamarans. As they get more popular they will get cheaper. Think of it like an electric train set...... you buy it for the 10 year olds but you end up playing with it more and more yourself. Just like any other brand new boat design to the market the F16's and F18s will drop to an affordable level while the elite opt for the newest design. It's really hard to deny a foiling catamaran that will do 20+ knots in a 12 knot breeze, double trapped with both hulls out of the water. They'll only get better and better and eventually trickle down to us guys with a $3k-$5k budget...... might take another 10 years though ;)

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • I know what you are saying about a foiling cat, but I come back to what I see at local regattas: there are always large dingy fleets and plenty of larger boats, not 'fast' or 'faster' catamarans. For a sailing club and maybe a parent, a simpler, cheaper, and easier design would get more kids into the sport. A foiling cat seems more complicated, even if the price point comes down. However, no boat type will be viable if we don't have the time and access.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • right now and for the past couple months the n15 demo has been in sarasota. its is not a foiling boat, we have tried to get it to foil like the 17s have but the most we could do is getting it to wheele. i read somewhere that they plan on changing the c foils to something else so it can, but the way it is now it doesn't. sarasota owns 3 f16s and 2 privately owned and doesnt plan on buying a 15. theres just not a n15 fleet here so theres not really any racing. but at f16 nationals there was i think 26 f16s. we have been racing the f16 and the n15 together, and the f16 is faster at all angles. the 15 steering is alot more sensitive and the winglets keep the bow out of the water. so its harder to pitchpole but its not as wide so probably easier to flip

single handing, but you can see the winglets

its not letting me post pictures
    http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/optikid/media/IMG_05231_zpst5y5eiau.jpg.html?filters[user]=113260362&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2

http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/optikid/media/imagejpeg_0_2_zpszytgeejk.jpg.html?filters[user]=113260362&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

single handing, but you can see the winglets
    http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/optikid/media/IMG_07031_zpsnnqjbu5x.jpg.html?filters[user]=113260362&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Edited by optikid on Nov 29, 2015 - 11:15 PM.

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • Hi guys,
    I'm commenting to keep the beachcats community informed. I'm a multihull sailor and want to see our segment grow!
    I completely see the problem in that most programs in the U.S. can only afford used catamarans.
    Unfortunately in this modern world, boats have gotten more expensive in general. The larger issue is sailing is not growing because it is an expensive and sometimes exclusive sport. This is a problem for boat builders and supporters of sailing worldwide. IF we could sell boats cheaper we would and we certainly sell more and grow the sport.
    A Club 420 is almost 9K, a 29er is about 15K. The Nacra 17 at 26K is completely cost prohibitive for almost any one but the top sailors, an F18 and F16 around 22K.
    The Nacra 15 is aimed to grow higher performance multihull sailing on a international level. Something the previous Youth Multihull did not do as it was not high performance and not available throughout the world.
    The 15 is a high quality and high performance boat that we made every effort to be affordable in today's modern world. At a price of around 15K it's quite a steal compared to similar boats. Unfortunately this still eliminates a lot of people that would want to buy one that can't afford it. Hopefully the boats will become available on the used market and will become more accessible for everyone.
    There's been a lot of interest from individuals and clubs on this boat. And not just youth, the pricepoint is very attractive for weekend recreational sailors.

The current platform is "semi-foiling" just as the Nacra 17. The Nacra 17 will not foil out of the box, getting it to foil takes playing around with the daggerboard angle of attack. Even then it takes an amazing amount of crew work for inconsistent foiling. Hopefully this will be resolved for the next quad.

Angelo, The Nacra 15 prototype in Sarasota is not a final product. The reason it won't foil is likely mostly because the angle attacked of the daggerboard is not in a position to allow it. I'm speculating that the final boat will have a happy medium setting or daggerboard inserts (which have allowed the 17 to foil) will be allowed.
    The boat there also has a different rear hull section and weighs about 30 pounds more than the final boat. This prototype is for sale at a discount for anyone interested.

More to come soon but here is the final news on the boat since the ISAF selection meeting a couple weeks ago.
    The boat will be offered in 3 versions, the daggerboard trunk can take any of the below foils and the rudder modifications are simple.
    Nacra 15 Basic : Standard Nacra rudders (no winglets) and aluminum Daggerboards
    Nacra 15 ISAF Youth Version: Nacra rudders with stabilizers (probably L foils), Curved boards
    Nacra 15 FCS:
    2016 ISAF Youth Worlds Oman Nacra 15 Curved Daggerboards
    2017 ISAF Youth Worlds Corpus Christi, TX Nacra 15 Curved Daggerboards
    2018 ISAF Youth Worlds TBD Nacra 15 Curved Daggerboards
    2018 Youth Olympic Games Nacra 15 FCS, FULLY FOILING!

This plan is to progress multihull and high performance sailing. While it may take a while to get a fleet in the U.S., with some of the interest I've seen, I''m hopeful we can have some 10-20 boat events by the end of next year.

Any further questions feel free to ask.

-Todd Riccardi
    Nacra Sailing North America

Edited by wildtsail on Nov 30, 2015 - 11:49 AM.
  • In the end, I think it means less kids sailing, which cannot help in growing the sport.

Edited by p8dawg on Dec 01, 2015 - 11:17 AM.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.