Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Possible move from H18 to another cat  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Just figuring options, that if H18 is too much problem for solo self rigging and sailing what smaller lighter weight cat would one look at buying for solo days. I'm familiar with H16. How about Acat or some of the newer hobies?

Used boats..

Edited by goodsailing on May 27, 2015 - 10:47 AM.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • A cats are a dream to handle solo, both on and off the water. Easy to right. Also consider F16s, or a Taipan 4.9 if you could find one. My Stealth weighs 230 lbs all up, and I can right it solo with a righting pole, I'm 160 lbs. I love the responsiveness of lightweight boats!

Dave
  • Hobie 17 is basically the solo version of the Hobie 18. It is lighter and has a more simplified rig. A good balance of weight, performance, durability, and cost/parts availability. (Ford Mustang)

A Hobie Wave is an option if you want super simple and easy but they are at the bottom of the performance spectrum. (Mo-ped)

A Hobie 14 is good for lighter sailors. They don't have the top speed of the larger boats, but in many ways, they can be just as exciting when the breeze is up and they are very light and simple to rig. You can also find them for very low prices. (Go-Cart)

An A-Cat would be tough to beat from a light weight standpoint, but the flip side is that they are not designed to take any type of abuse from a beach handling standpoint. Don't let them touch the ground, don't drive them into the beach, etc. They are also quite complex and will take a while to rig. Parts availability, you're either looking at very expensive replacement parts or custom building your own parts. (Formula 1 Race Car)

sm
  • mystere 5.0
    nacra 5.0
  • Looks like Europe is waaaaay ahead of US for cats

http://www.eagle-cat.com/en/eagle-15-catamaran/

Found that here but most are not available here used. Shipping from Europe?
    http://www.nauticexpo.com…port-catamaran-1661.html

Edited by goodsailing on May 27, 2015 - 10:19 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • I don't think that a 16 ft cat will make your life a lot easier. May be an A cat or a wave, but they might not fit your budget or expectations (repectively). What about sailing elsewhere, with an easier access to water an paying for mast up storage. That would make a world of difference, you coulld take a few days off and try it out.
  • QuoteLooks like Europe is waaaaay ahead of US for cats

Not ahead of us, it's just that there is an active market for new performance cats
    there is very little intere$t (and sales) of new high performance cats in the USA

Edited by MN3 on May 28, 2015 - 09:18 AM.
  • Get yourself a SuperCat 15 or 17. We have a friendly little group that sails them on the Potomac and Rapahanock. You will be welcome.

Edited by gahamby on May 30, 2015 - 11:35 AM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I noticed that there is a Taipan in TX for sale in the classifieds. Looks nice.

Dave
  • Looks like someone wants to buy my H18 so I'm thinking now about cat that doesn't have daggerboards. Do SC have boards? Would inflatable be out of the question. I'm not as concerned about sailing, as I am about ground handling, and tasks to rig. Lets face it, if you want excitement you can take a little boat out in conditions it wasn't really meant for. The bigger and more forgiving the boat, the bigger the conditions must be to have fun... if you know what I'm talking about.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • I wouldn't own a 16 ft or above cat if I didn't have a mast up storage option. I keep my N5.5 during part of the spring and summer in a lake about 1 hr. away, or sometimes a better one about 2.5 hrs away, paying a monthly fee, to sail mostly on weekends. I try to do vacations late in summer and sail a full week or more, after which I call season off and I store it pretty far away (for free..) during autumn and winter. If I could store it home, I really doubt I would ever go day sailing and bring it back the same day. I would rather sail a laser.. sometimes I miss sailing Laser II, that was big fun actually. Better than wave or a H14 for my taste.
  • goodsailingWould inflatable be out of the question.

Not at all and it solves a lot of your problems.
    www.smartkat-sailing.com

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • goodsailing I'm not as concerned about sailing, as I am about ground handling, and tasks to rig.

You sound like a prime candidate for a Hobie Wave. 250 LBS, 10 minutes to rig, exciting only in winds over 20 MPH.

sm

Edited by Dogboy on Jun 08, 2015 - 07:43 PM.
  • QuoteLets face it, if you want excitement you can take a little boat out in conditions it wasn't really meant for. The bigger and more forgiving the boat, the bigger the conditions must be to have fun... if you know what I'm talking about.

sunfish are a hoot in real wind
    so are waver runner tri's
  • Any boat you will get out and use is better than one sitting in your garage. Sunfish, lasers, etc are much more fun to sail than sitting on shore watching someone else sail. A Wave would be a good cat option if you want easy to handle on land and potential for fun on water.

I love my H18 but always have help on the beach. Would hate to solo muscle it up and down a beach, that would keep me from sailing it.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I agree with Andrew on this one. Nacra 5.0 or Mystere 5.0. Both are very similar boats, no boards, no boom, reasonably light and easy to rig. Both will handle you single handed or with a crew. Get a gin pole setup and you can step the mast solo relatively painlessly (you can do it without a gin pole setup but I have never been comfortable doing it). Next on my list would be a hobie 16. I'm not a fan of the wave for 'sport' sailing. It's a good little boat to learn on and for the family but doesn't have enough sail area and is too heavy to get yourself into any real fun... I mean trouble. :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I think both the SC15 and 17 are boardless, and fairly simple to rig. Old enough to be fairly inexpensive to buy. Still good parts availability and support from Tom at Aquarius.

Mid 90s A cats can be had in the $3 to $5K range, although somewhat rare.

The Wave is a good choice if speed/performance is not at the top of your list of requirements.
  • Some good tips....thanks.

I have a Laser full rig and I've owned sunfish. The reason I got the H18 was that I wanted more deck space as the Laser is tough on knees. Plus, being a speed freak I chose H18. But it's the ground handling that's the problem with the H18. So I most likely bought the wrong boat, not that this is a problem as I have a marketable boat that could be sold, plus I've experienced a H18, yet not fully as I never got to hang out on the trapeze...nor did I learn how to right the boat as I never capsized it. No problem either if I'm not having fun. Right? So... the search is on... perhaps.

Not that I won't sail the H18 again prior sale, as I now have people to go with etc.. Or won't go unless I have crew.

So is the Wave that heavy? And, it's hard to find A-cats.

West Marine sent me plans to Grudgeon Bros A-cat, but instead of building A-cat hulls I'm building modified A-Cat hull (longer) for outrigger sailboat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdpvWt8SJv4

Edited by goodsailing on Jun 09, 2015 - 10:29 AM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Don't take this the wrong way, but you are not at the skill level where an A-Cat would be anywhere near appropriate, not to mention it doesn't fit any of the desired criteria you have already listed with the exception of weight. They are fragile, complex, and at the height of performance. An A-Cat will provide you with a whole new set of frustrations and is certainly not a boat that you should be learning the fundamentals on.

Stick with one of the production single handers. Hobie Wave, 14, 17, or any of the other countless boats out there that meet your needs.

sm
  • The Supercats have a righting system for solo righting, plus their just great boats!

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.