Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cat shipping experiences?  Bottom

• I am looking into 2000 mile delivery options of a Hobie and wondering what experiences good and bad people have had with having one transported for them. Currently looking at Uship.com. Any input greatly appreciated.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I have used uship.com for a non-boat trailer move from North Carolina to Michigan. Lots of guys trying to make a living out of hauling items between locations or picking up back hauls. There are also some families on trips with long drives...so why not get paid to haul a trailer. Don't think it would be a problem as long as the trailer is in good enough shape to make the haul, the boat is loaded correctly and packed for the trip. It's an easy light load for any car. Make sure you check the references on the site and have a chat with whomever you select...and pay them on delivery. Being flexible on your shipping days helps as well.

--
    Steve
    Nacra Inter 20
    Okemos Michigan
    --
  • I've used Uship to bring 3 different cats to me amd have been very satisfied each time. On one occasion it was actually cheaper than if I'd gone myself. On another occasion the seller didn't represent the condition of the trailers tires or lights correctly and the shipper actually stopped and bought new tires for it and straightened out the light issue at no extra charge (I paid him for the tires when he dropped the boat).

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • Where are you looking to ship from?

RE: Uship.... check the drivers ratings... I know of one person whose experience was not that great.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Shipping from Northern California to Chicago. Thanks for the feedback. I was surprised to see mostly 5 star reviews, always makes me wonder if there is a way to rig the system. Or if most everyone is just happy with the experience. For the record shipping a H21SE, can't wait to get her on Lake Michigan.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Great boat for Lake Michigan! I've had good experiences posting on Craigslist, in the ride wanted section, in both the origination and destination cities. Offered an unspecified contribution to gas money to tow the boat, and negotiated the dollars when I heard from a suitable driver. You're hoping to find someone already travelling your desired direction, who would be enthused about help with expenses. You need to be discerning about their experience towing trailers(as well as their integrity). Although its not a heavy load, it is a wide one, with windage, so you can't forget it's back there. Those who have towed a lot have experience with tires, bearings and lights, all of which require attention to get it to you intact.

You can also post here and catsailor, take out an ad from SA, or any other sailing site, asking for towing assistance. Sailors tend to be sympathetic to one's need to acquire a new boat, and often have the requisite trailering skills.

I also have the contact info for a guy from the east coast who has delivered two boats for me, one to the Chesapeake and the other to Michigan, from Montana. He has a diesel Suburban, and makes loops around the country regularly, moving stuff for folks. PM me if you wish.

Make sure you talk to your insurance person, don't rely on tow guy unless he's commercial and specifically states that he's covering it.

Dave

Edited by davefarmer on May 27, 2015 - 11:52 PM.
  • I shipped a NACRA 5.2 via ocean freight from Florida to St. Thomas without incident. I broke the hulls down so they were next to each other, bundled everything together. put padding on either end of the mast which was derigged and hoped for the best. All told, everything was fine at the other end.
  • Did you find a shipper? If so where did you find them? Thanks

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Boat is currently in route with a carrier from Uship site. Fingers crossed but seems like a reputable person so far.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Had a good experience with Uship. Used Buzzstransport and seemed like a good guy semi-retired wanting to see the country. Said he is a fisherman and had towed boats for over 30 years and I believe it. 2000 miles in under 4 days. Was in contact each day with update.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.