Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P19 boom refurb-need suggestions!  Bottom

• So the out haul on my prindle 19 boom is pretty sticky, I tried soaking the end of it in a bucket of crazy hot water (solar water heater gets the tap pretty intense) and soap, it loosened it up but still isn't functioning properly. My suspicions of the boats PO jerry-rigging things was confirmed by another sailor yesterday, not a lot of proper maitenence it sounds like.
    I'm thinking the out haul has never had any attention, ordered some 1/8 bungee and a new line for the out haul, and am planning on drilling out the rivets after I take a nap (my first day of vacation!)

Questions-has anyone else done this? Any pics and suggestions would be great, the manual didn't have much to say about what will happen when I take thawed cap off...I am wanting to do it so parts don't go flying around all willy-Nilly. Thanks!
    HK

--
    Prindle 19
    Kauai
    --
  • have done it several times on my mystere boom

Before drilling i would try silicone lube - this is a panacea for boats but it still may need line replacement internally
  • thegoldstarI'm thinking the out haul has never had any attention, ordered some 1/8 bungee and a new line for the out haul, and am planning on drilling out the rivets after I take a nap (my first day of vacation!)

So how was your nap?

Pictures here:
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=106738

I did this last year on my boom. Tie a thin line to the end of the shock cord before you suck it into the boom so you can pull the new shock cord to the front when reassembling. Take it apart carefully, as parts will come loose as you pull them out. The car has wheels that are held in place by the walls of the boom, and it is very difficult to clean or lube then from outside.
    Clean everything, lightly lube the wheel axles with lithium and reassemble. 1/8" bungee might be a little small... use the largest you can get into the holes at the forward end of the boom. Don't go crazy with the knot at this end- you will pull more bungee out and tie another later when you need to tighten the bungee.

Here is my site for info on the Prindle 18-2 and 19:
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures?g2_itemId=88542

Edited by klozhald on Jun 13, 2016 - 04:05 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.