Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 "Quiet Time" Rebuild  Bottom

• A shameless sneak preview of the resurrected Hobie 18 "Quiet Time" Right after we laced up the tramp for the first time. Some work left on it, but framing was a huge mental milestone. Thanks to all on this thread so far....

http://i.imgur.com/ZH2H6IF.jpg
  • I started this topic so that greddawn's Hobie 18 wouldn't get lost in the long Referbing Hobie 18 Thread topic.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I gather Hobie 18's are getting a tad long in the tooth that you could start a couple of hundred: Hobie Referb threads. Great going on this one. Hey, if we work hard, we could start a whole fleet of Retro Hobie's. We could all meet at the local put in and show off our redoes like the cars guys do with 60's cars! icon_lol

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • http://i.imgur.com/5XbRoEO.png

First sail on Saturday, in Central Texas, Lake Fayette. If anyone caught the news, Central Texas has been flooding due to heavy rains, so we were pessimistic about even being able to sail. Fortunately, we caught a break in the weather during the late afternoon and were able to get out in about 10 knot winds. With so many last minute preparations, I have yet to finish the refurb write up, but now that it's on the water, my weekend evenings are much more free to get it done. So glad that the boat performed perfectly with only a few minor tweaks, and glad to bring a dead hobie back to life.
  • Beautiful restoration, congratulations!
  • looks great
  • Looks good. What paint was used for hulls?

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • revolution sm-1000, i think the color was navy or midnight blue, can't recall atm. Has held up perfectly to an absolute beating. Do not clearcoat over it though, turbulent flow caused peeling of the clearcoat. Base coat was not affected
  • What clear coat? Same brand? Might have been a reaction. I've not heard of this brand before. I'm not sure about non-two part paint. I've used interlux perfection on dingy hull bottoms and it's tough as nails. Looks sprayed after roll and tip. Glad its working out for you. I'll be painting my hulls later in the year.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • The clearcoat was an enamel, I want to say rustoleum. The base coat of the paint was a 2 part epoxy, only the topcoat was single part. Roll and tip method worked great, but took quite a while.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.