Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

GC32  Bottom

• Most of you who know me know that I'm pretty passionate about all things foiling.

Here is some great drone video using a proprietary stabilization system taken last week at Key West Race Week. Enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/117864320

--
    Philip
    --
  • Nice !!

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Wow ,great video I bet the acceleration is fantastic on those things.Looks like they put the dagger\foils up from the bottom....food for thought.
    Weather looks GREAT!

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • sweet
  • It's going to be great when that eventually filters down, I'd love to go for a sail on that kind of boat.

If it's your own video, I'm not trying to p**s on your parade, it's a great video, but don't get too hung up on
    "proprietary" stabilization. I'm sure you know that adding a simple rubber washer, or anything for that matter enables the manufacturer to call their system "proprietary".
    One of the companies my brother owns uses drones to inspect difficult to reach areas, think smokestacks, insulators on 300Kv lines, etc.
    He let me try one, just before Christmas. I was a bit leery about crashing a several thousand $ "toy", but he assured me they were idiot proof, just let go of both joysticks & they go into a hover. We flew it in 20kts gusty wind at Niagara Falls, & that proved to be the case.
    Even the $1500 models come with 1080 HD, & the stabilization is good, very good, in fact no discernible "shake" can be seen in the footage. Holding the drone, one can tilt it 6 ways from Sunday, & the fully gimbaled camera remained level. They all seem to suspend the camera mounts on little rubber "balloons", slightly smaller than a marble, which removes all vibration from the multiple rotors. I was surprised at how good the ensuing footage was, & you can pull stills from anywhere for enlargement.
    As can be seen from your link, there is simply no comparison with the usual Go Pro videos.
    Generally, before flying we orient the unit GPS to where we are launching from, & set that as "home". In the event the unit loses communication with the operator, or the batteries get low, they climb to a set altitude,(say 300' to clear trees/lines), return "home" then descend & land.
    I know what ya all be thinking...chuck the Go Pro, I want this, to video my Cats, & getting a big woody as you watch the live stream on your iPhone.
    Just remember, if you set "home" on your speed boat, then take off chasing the Cat, & the drone subsequently loses comm, or battery level, it will NOT land back on your boat. It will go back to the spot on the lake your boat was at when you set "home". At that point it will execute a perfect landing, & sink like a rock, leaving you with only the controller, & a rapidly shrinking woody icon_mad

Edited by Edchris177 on Jan 29, 2015 - 08:08 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177
    If it's your own video, I'm not trying to p**s on your parade, it's a great video, but don't get too hung up on
    "proprietary" stabilization.

It's not, you did, and it is. Carry on . . .

--
    Philip
    --
  • lol
  • Mental note... win lottery buy boat...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Mental Note " People North of Alabama have to long a winter ! LOL

--
    Doug Klem
    Pensacola , Fl.
    Blade F16
    Prindle 18-2 w/spin
    Prindle 18-2 x 3
    Prindle 19 MX
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.