Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hull to deck repair  Bottom

• I have a Dart 20 that has a 2 foot section where the hull to deck joint is separating. There is evidence of a previous repair. I can open it about 1/8 of an inch. The hull has a inner flange and the deck section is attached over this. Any suggestions on repair methods?
    Thanks,
    Dan
  • Open as much as possible with two or three screwdrivers, using plastic syringe from West Marine, inject west epoxy all along flange. Use two or three webbing straps around hull fairly tight. Next day with separation upside down, fill any voids in joint possibly using any thicking agent. Pete
  • The West marine syringes are overpriced, & small for a lot of jobs, only 1/2 oz,(15ml). Go to any farm supply store that have veterinary supplies,(I use TSC) they have up to 60cc sizes,(2 oz) in packs of 3 for $2-$3.
    http://www.tscstores.com/Search.aspx?k=syringe
    If you are organized, & doing a big injection job, you can pull the plunger out, pour more resin into the barrel & keep going before it kicks. I just used 2- 60cc syringes, with micro fibre thickened epoxy to stiffen an Invitation deck. I used them for 10 batches, without the nozzle plugging. (You can pull the plunger & peel set epoxy off the rubber seal, & drill out the nozzle if necessary).
    Have a small cardboard box where you are going to work. Punch 2 holes in a side, just big enough to stuff the syringe in. Use this as a stand to hold the syringe upright. Pull the plungers out. You can now fill one & work with it, while a buddy pours resin into the 2nd one. When #1 is empty, stuff it into a hole in the box, & grab #2, that your buddy has loaded. You can mix up fairly large batches of resin, & use it all before it kicks if doing a large job. Remember, you extend the pot life by mixing in a shallow pan, such as a foil pie plate, rather than a deep jar. Heat builds more quickly in the dep pots, & shortens working life.

Edited by Edchris177 on Oct 20, 2012 - 12:12 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.