Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Poliglow alternative for glossy finish  Bottom

• I ran across something interesting tonight. Evidently, RV owners have been using this stuff on their gelcoat for years to get a spectacular shine. Poliglow has been the tried and true product for achieving a perfect gloss finish on gelcoat, but this stuff has shown to be just as good for less than $10 / gallon.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p13/wart44hog/Materials.jpg

It's called Red Max Pro #3.

RV forum discussion

If you read through the whole discussion, no one has anything bad to say about it and it hasn't lost any shine or yellowed for anyone in a few years.

I'm thinking about giving it a try on an old Hobie 14 that I will be picking up this weekend for cheap.

As far as speed, I'm sure this isn't the fastest but it looks damn good and that counts for half the speed anyway right? :D

--
    -Zach
    --
  • That's intriguing considering the vast price difference. Let us know how it works on your 14. icon_biggrin

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I'm interested too. Let us know how it works.

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • Bar Keepers Friend is good for getting blood stains out of your sails too. Not sure what Bar Keepers use it for.
  • kgatesmanBar Keepers Friend is good for getting blood stains out of your sails too. Not sure what Bar Keepers use it for.
    I won't ask how you know to keep all of our innocence...

I wasn't able to try anything this weekend with the Red Max Pro. I'm away at school so my boat is at home. I might try doing it over spring break if I have time (I'll be focusing my time on my 16 though). I'll keep you guys updated if I find anything new.

Edited by zaxtvnz on Feb 12, 2012 - 09:36 PM.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Just a heads up: it looks like Lowes is phasing out their Red Max Pro floor product line. I went online and most of the Lowes near me are out. I talked to the guy at my local Lowes and he said they didn't have any more on order. There are a few in some random places near me so I may drive over and get a gallon or two for safe keeping.

Next week is my spring break so I am going to give this stuff a try. I'll post on here after I'm done hopefully with some before/after pictures.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • My Home Depot carries the "Zep Wet Floor Look" alternative that is mentioned on that RV site. It's about $24 for a gallon. I'm going to give it a try in a month or two.
  • I was going to mention that. If you can find it, I found the Red Max Pro for $4. A gallon for that cheap is a steal!

--
    -Zach
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87264&g2_serialNumber=3

After 4 coats of Red Max. No polishing.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • They look great, Quarath! I, too, did the hulls on my H18 and was *very* impressed with the results. I couldn't find the Red Max so I used the "Zep Wet Look Floor Finish" alternative I mentioned above. I don't have any pictures to share, but my hulls turned out like yours'. Well, with one exception - I didn't bother with my blue decks because they're terribly faded and I couldn't manage to get a uniform color. How did you apply the Red Max? I used the "Poliglow" method and wrapped a chamois cloth around a block of wood. I then squirted the Zep onto the chamois using an empty Dawn dish soap bottle. Sure beats waxing, eh? Thanks again, Zach! That Barkeeper's Friend is gold as well.

Edited by BrianCT on May 22, 2012 - 03:34 AM.
  • I did the Red Max thing on my H17. It was not too faded so the prep was quick.. It is YELLLLOW.. Only did 2 coats cuz if did not work I wanted to have less to take off. Looks great !! Sailed 2 weekends.. Got lots of .. "Nice Boat" from friends.. I used those inexpensive flat pads from the paint dept. Asorbant but have small rug like hairs.. Green with a white foam back.. Worked geat. BTW Red Max is imported by Zep. Perhaps the same product. Got 3 gals cus it is not on reorder. Cheers Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • I'm glad to see other people are finding this method helpful! I was so pumped when I did the Bar Keepers friend with RMP and it looked so awesome.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Yes used small padded applicator used for waxes and just dipped it and wiped it on very lightly in one direction being careful not to leave bubbles. the 4 coats went relatively quickly. I have not done any work on my decks yet only the hulls.

My color is not great after the bottom job I applied white gel coat. I really didn't even try to mix it to color match though after I found some info where someone used a tiny bit of sienna to make white gel coat match but by then i was done. Most looks ok. I had a hard time keeping it think everywhere I wanted.

I started with spraying it with Preval. It I thinned as much as I dared with acetone and it was ok but not great. It was good for transoms where I just masked off hardware. It was too much and way to slow for the bottom job I ended up rolling it on. Don't do it when you running out of light like I did because then you just have to sand and add more. I still have some spots I am not thrilled with on the gel coat but the glass work for minor repairs and bottoms went great I am thrilled to know the hulls are sound for may years to come.

My beat up P16s will probably just get glass and paint rather than gel coat. It's too hard to match the old faded colors and 2 of them had their share of repairs.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Here's a picture of mine one month later (click to enlarge). I have not cleaned or buffed the boat since applying the final (3rd) coat. If you look closely, you can almost make out my neighbor's Hobie Wave in the reflection. I'm happy with the results. Prior to Barkeepers and Zep Floor Finish treatment, my hulls were chalky white and porous - I was getting toilet bowl rings when I spent a lot of time on the water.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/bcreamer/ZepFloorFinish1.jpg

Edited by BrianCT on Jun 01, 2012 - 10:54 AM.
  • QuoteI was getting toilet bowl rings when I spent a lot of time on the water.

Same with mine

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Quarathhttp://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87264&g2_serialNumber=3

After 4 coats of Red Max. No polishing.

Quarath, How about a one year follow up report? How has the shine held up?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • i did it to mine about a year ago and it could use another coat. its chipped off around the nonskid and not quite as glossy, but i think it was worth it.
    before buffing on left buffing on right (the dolphin striker looks REALLY bent)
    http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/optikid/th_IMG_0582_zpsaaa7dd6e.jpg
    all done
    http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa460/optikid/IMG_0590_zpsd3477433.jpg

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • i dont know why its posting so small so here is the direct link
    http://i1198.photobucket.…IMG_0590_zpsba91c26f.jpg
    http://i1198.photobucket.…IMG_0582_zpsaaa7dd6e.jpg

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • Damon, I did my hulls a year ago this past April and they still look great. I had one small area I needed to touch after my buddy leaned his sandy kayak against the side (people must have been stepping on it to get up on my tramp - arrrgh!) but I had it back to new in no time. Highly recommended. Again, I user Barkeeper's Friend followed by three coats of Zep Wet Look Floor Finish. It's essentially a clear coat that can be removed with stripper if it ever begins to fail.
  • Another option is Newgalss2.
    http://www.newglass2.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.