Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

30 ft Mast length, Nacra 5.2; Difficult to raise?  Bottom

• The mast length for the Nacra 5.2 is even longer than a h18 (28ft). Do people find this difficult to raise? or too much overturning force?

--
    Pairajacks
    1985 Nacra 5.2
    Corvallis Oregon
    --
  • It can be. It's not a really heavy mast (less than 80 lbs). The toughest part really is the transition onto the tramp and I wouldn't try to raise it with any less than 2 people.

What I do is get a 10 ft step ladder and set it up behind the boat. The bows are facing slightly downhill. then walk the mast up to the rear beam and rest it on the top of the ladder. This lets me get onto the trampoline.

From here on you need someone on the forstay. Tie a line to the forestay and get them to hold it, and help by pulling if they can. This is where the mast feels like it is at its heaviest because you have little leverage near the bottom, but pulling on the forestay becomes much more effective. Now you get on the tramp and walk the mast the rest of the way up. At the top the person on the forestay can easily hold the mast in place so I jump down and pin the forestay to the bridle.

Taking the mast down is a reverse of the process but tends to be a little scarier. :) And don't forget to rotate the mast 90 degrees or you will break the bottom casting.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • The ladder method scares the mainsheet out of me. Too scared of ladders when holding heavy mast. my two person step method- Boat off trailer, facing slightly downhill (and hopefully, downwind). tie small diameter line to forestay and bridle. One person get on tramp, one at top of mast (on ground). First person walks the mast up until he reaches the tramp. Second person (on tramp) grabs mast with enough muscle to allow first onto tramp to assist in final raising. First person hops off tramp to secure forestay while other holds mast forward. Lowering reverse.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • Oh come on guys, yall are making it seem to hard. Get on the tramp. Have your buddy at the top of the mast. He walks the mast up and then you grab the mast and grunt. Be sure the mast is sideways. Your buddy runs to the bridle to attach the forestay while you hold the mast up right. Then slide it off the trailer. Sometimes you just have to man up. I would not have two people standing on the tramp. Bad idea.
    Hey para do you have the mast capture sysytem?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Exactly as golfdad75 says, "Cowboy up.". Happens fifty times on Friday at a regatta and then fifty times in reverse on Sunday. Don't let anybody stand under the mast while your grunting. Sometimes the base comes clear and the top comes down, fast.
  • Guys, I basically lift the mast by myself. The wife broke her back a few years ago and can't help me lift it. With two burly guys it would be much easier. And sailors tend to be on the slight side... I can bench almost 200 lbs but I'm betting most can't.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I'm definitely on the lightweight/jockey size, but my 190-200lb muscular friend can just about do all of the lifting himself. My 180lb brother needs a bit of help up on the tramp. No matter what, its always a show for the audience we have on the beach icon_rolleyes
  • I take the trailer winch strap and wrap it twice around the mast just before the rear beam. Crew cranks winch I pull up on the mast to get it off the tramp the winch does the rest. I just help keep it in the middle. Once the side stays are tight crew makes sure the winch is locked. Winch holds the mast while for-stay is connected. Almost any crew over 60lb can crank up the mast. Down is reverse of same procedure, just remind crew that it gets harder to hold back as the mast comes down.

Edited by skarr1 on Jul 10, 2011 - 05:26 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.