Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

SOLO MAST UP  Bottom

• I am looking for a cat that I can raise the mast solo. I have a N5.2 and raising that mast is a 2 person job unless some one can tell me how to rig up something to help get it up solo. I was thinking of a H16 but not sure that will work. I found a Prindle 16 for sale close by and would consider that as well. I would fit into the OLD GUY category so any help with this matter is appreciated.

Thanks !

Edited by ohmsj on Oct 28, 2010 - 10:43 PM.

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • keeping the mast on the ball on the P16 solo seems near impossible to me. I need someone to hold the mast on the ball while I raise it up. I have a friend who sails a Dart - I think it's 16 feet and it has a slot that he slides a screwdriver through while raising the mast. WHen it's up and secure he removes the screw driver which allows it to rotate freely. He can raise his mast solo because of this one small addition. Sweet boat that Dart. I haven't seen too many of them around. I think their from across the pond - England.

--
    Scott
    1982 Nacra 5.2 "Great White"
    Ledbetter Beach, Santa Barbara, CA
    --
  • old guys like the 6kg 2 part carbon mast of the 14" weta trimaran

more expensive than a 20yo beachcat

but old guys usually got more cash than young guns
  • The H16 is generally a two person job also, though perhaps not impossible.
  • my p-16 has a hinge and pins for steping. i tie a line to the turnbuckle on the forestay and run it through the shackle on the bridle wires and leave the other end on the tramp by my feet. i bring a step ladder to hold up the top end of the mast when i pin the base to the hinge. its no problem for me to lift the mast myself, pull the slack from the line, and cleat the line on the cleat on the mast. climb off the boat/trailor and shackle the forestay to the bridle. the mast isn't that heavy for me to solo step. now getting it on the trailer solo takes some umph but any boat will.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I own a Nacra 5.2 and usually raise and lower the mast solo.
    I rig up a double turning block to the bridle. A long (30') line goes from the bridle apex to the forestay where it runs over another turning block, then back through the bridle turning block and to a cleat on the main beam. I normally use this 2:1 setup to make it easyer to pull on the mast, but I have gone without it a couple of times.
    Just hold taught, undo the forestay and any jib halyard that may have been tied to the bridle. Then walk backwards letting out about a foot of line at each step. Once the line starts to stretch grab the mast and lower it down manually. Then before getting off, lower it down onto your shoulders and let it onto a waiting stepladder (about 6-8'high) or a fence (as I do).

Before starting the boat needs to be facing downwind (or in a sheltered spot) so the wind helps keep the mast up!

This is what I do, and it always a little intimidating to start, but works every time.

Dennis
  • Trailering the boat backwards makes raising the mast solo easier. When I had the Dart 20, I raised the mast solo all of the time with a similar procedure Coastrat describes. If you can find a Dart, they are a great boat. Dart 20 had a 291/2 foot mast without spreaders! Spreaders make it more dificult to raise and lower the mast I am finding out with the P19MX, I have not been able to raise the mast solo as of yet.

Edited by stevefisherkeller on Oct 29, 2010 - 06:38 AM.

--
    Steve Fisherkeller
    P19MX
    --
  • First question.
    Do you have problems raising the mast if someone else is there to pin the forestay?
    If the answer is no then you just have to figure out how to hold the mast in place till you can pin it.
    If the answer is yes then you need to go to a gin pole setup.
    If you just need a way to hold the mast in place till you pin it one trick that I found helps is to have the boat setup on the trailer(if you step the mast while it is still on the trailer) so when the mast is slightly forward of vertical after it is stepped. This can be done by having the rear trailer cross bar on top and the front trailer cross bar hung below. This allows you to balance the mast with one hand(even easier if you position the boat with the wind from behind to help) while you tighten a line to hold the mast in place till the forestay can be pinned. Do not attach the line to the forestay or the bridle as attachment point for the line. Use a hiking wire and a point on the front of the trailer. I used this method for years for an M6.0. I ran the line from the wire thru a turning point one the mast support back under the bridle to the spin tack line cleat. Once the mast is up just tighten the line then pin the forstay.
    If you have doubts about the mast staying on the ball put an eye on the mast base and tie it to the front cross bar for security.
  • Subaru used to come with a trunk monkey. I was foruanate to get a used one and it is really helpful.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • I made a 6-7' high critch from 2x4, with tripod base this way the mast is at 20-25 pitch at the start of the raise and likewise when lowering it on my Hobie 20, also have used a 7' vertical strut at base of mast w roller on top, stru straps to striker, mid point front crossbeam, on a few occasions have raised my H Miracle 20 mast solo with trap lines used to prevent sideways motion, the H 20 mast is very heavy, 31' approx 60 lbs

dennisMeI own a Nacra 5.2 and usually raise and lower the mast solo.
    I rig up a double turning block to the bridle. A long (30') line goes from the bridle apex to the forestay where it runs over another turning block, then back through the bridle turning block and to a cleat on the main beam. I normally use this 2:1 setup to make it easyer to pull on the mast, but I have gone without it a couple of times.
    Just hold taught, undo the forestay and any jib halyard that may have been tied to the bridle. Then walk backwards letting out about a foot of line at each step. Once the line starts to stretch grab the mast and lower it down manually. Then before getting off, lower it down onto your shoulders and let it onto a waiting stepladder (about 6-8'high) or a fence (as I do).

Before starting the boat needs to be facing downwind (or in a sheltered spot) so the wind helps keep the mast up!

This is what I do, and it always a little intimidating to start, but works every time.

Dennis
  • I built a tripod using 10' by 2" PVC, top of mast rests on a rope cradle on tripod, bottom end rests on tramp, connect mast step link pin, use trap wires as stabilizers. On my front mast holder I installed a winch and a roller plate with roller at top, installed 2 eye-bolts to roller plate and hook ratchet straps onto eye-bolts and connect other end to safety chain eyelets on truck as back-stays for mast holder. Strap from winch goes up mast holder, over roller and connects to forestay, crank on winch to raise mast, as long as trap wires are working as stabilizers mast comes up no problem with sidesway. When mast is vertical, I disconnect trap wires from dolphin stryker bar and re-connect forward of mast to trailer creating forward pull, can now connect forestay to bridal wires safely.Remove mast step link pin, rotate mast into position, connect trap wires to shock cords and finish setting up cat, total time for setup.........35 min.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • golfdad75Subaru used to come with a trunk monkey. I was foruanate to get a used one and it is really helpful.

The trunk monkey is really helpful in doing many task, I recommend getting one if you don't have one. icon_biggrin

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.