Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

hobie sailing in the caribbean  Bottom

• I'm new to the site and was wondering if any sailors had recomndations for resorts with great cat sailing.I usually go to sunsails in Antigua and had a trip booked, but they decided to close for the summer.It seems most resorts don't caterto sailors. Any help would be appreciated. I've spent hours an the web looking and have come up empty. Thanks a stranded Lake Erie cat sailor
  • The Almond BEach Resort in Barbados has a fleet of Hobie Waves. They have 3 resorts in BGI, the one at the far north end of the Island has the best sailing. It is not a "sailing" resort per say, but we went out a couple hours a day, with constant winds of 15-20. They didn't seem to care how far we went, & the checkout consisted of,"ever sailed before?"
    The predominant wind is from over the hills offshore, 90* to the beach. To get clean air we went 1/2 mile offshore. The resort is pretty classy, good food, & the water is warm.
    The one in the center of island has a Nacra 500, but a storm destroyed their beach, it is very hard to get boats into the water now. The one near the airport has the most wind. You are dealoing with big surf, & they don't like you to go out alone.

edited by: Edchris177, Jun 04, 2010 - 08:55 AM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Sandals Grand St. Lucian (on St. Lucia) had 4 or 5 Waves in a protected harbor that had good wind when I was there last year. Also Sandals White House in Jamaica had about 6 Waves as well (was there about 4 years ago) and they setup a little regatta so my brother and I could race the watersports instructors. They didn't even seem to mind to much when I stuffed the bow and fell through their sail. I felt worse then they did, they had another sail on the boat the next day.

Neither are "sailing" resorts like a sunsail is, but very nice resorts that also have sailing available.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Thanks for the suggestions!!!! Has any one been to the Bitter End Yacht Club BVI? My wife found it and it looked good.It seems to have a good selection of cats and other sail boats.
  • docmapleThanks for the suggestions!!!! Has any one been to the Bitter End Yacht Club BVI? My wife found it and it looked good.It seems to have a good selection of cats and other sail boats.

I have been several times. It is more of an adult playground, especially as a stop for bareboat charters. Great selection of small dingy and cats. Are you taking a family?

--
    Philip
    --
  • Three boys 10, 12, 14. It also does not seem easy to get to. Looking at 11 hour travel time then the ferry. Looking at staying at Tamarind on night before departure because 7:20 am flight. Also we are planning to go July 2010. How was the food? Did they charge extra for things? Thanks so much. Really appreciate your input.
  • Did you snorkel or scuba dive at beyc?
  • Hey Doc,

Snorkeling in the BVI's is some of the best there is, unfortunately, Leverick Bay / Biras Creek is pretty boring. The area around Saba Rock is a shallow sandy grass bed that is as boring as it gets. You will see plenty of conch in this area. Not alot of sandy beaches here either.

If I remember correctly, the Tamarind club did not have air conditioning, fairly typical for most hotels on Tortola, and it is miserable hot in July.

There is alot of fantastic things to do in the BVI's, but not sure 3 teenagers will keep entertained bunkered down at Bitter End for days. If you like, PM me for my number and I can chat with you about it. Way too much to post in a single thread.

. . . and there is plenty of good food on Virgin Gorda.

--
    Philip
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.