Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trampoline replacement with bias cut tramp  Bottom

• I am replacing the tramopline on my Nacra 5.7 this season
    The manufacturer offers a Bias cut trampoline.
    http://www.slosailandcanv…amaran-Trampoline/Detail
    Is there any advantage to this style of fabric cut or should I stick with the conventional style.

thank for your input
    Johnny Van
  • I love my bias cut. What is meant by "bias cut" is the mesh fabric is cut diagonally to the grain of the fabric. This allows it to act somewhat like a chinese finger when pulled on one end.

There's only the back lacing and when it's tightened it pulled in on the sides allowing for the one piece design.

As far as the fabric, I like how water sprays through the mesh keeping you cooler on hot days even though it's black.

Big advantage is that you have no center lacing to deal with or your sheets falling through it.
  • I just bough a bias cut for the a Nacra 5.5 from slo and it did not fit correctly they were very responsive and sent me out a traditional style right away SLO told me that the bias cut can be tricky sometimes. I think the regular cut is better because you can get it tighter and unlike the hobies the Nacra's have the lacing down the side not the middle so you sheets do not fall thru like the prevous post suggest. Go with the traditional style and you are sure to get a good tight fit.
  • When you tried to reinstall the new tramp did you remove one side of the front crossbar so you could slide it on? You have to do that to get it on as they are cut very close to eliminate center or side lacing. Or was it another problem?
    fa1321I just bough a bias cut for the a Nacra 5.5 from slo and it did not fit correctly they were very responsive and sent me out a traditional style right away SLO told me that the bias cut can be tricky sometimes. I think the regular cut is better because you can get it tighter and unlike the hobies the Nacra's have the lacing down the side not the middle so you sheets do not fall thru like the prevous post suggest. Go with the traditional style and you are sure to get a good tight fit.

• It was too loose in the center another guy in my group with a 5.5 had the same problem. The standard tramp is still one piece and you get the benefit of using the side lacing to make it super tight I just think it is better.
  • I have a H18 that I considering replacing the OE vinyl tramp with Slo's Bias cut mesh. I dont plan to do any class racing and I like how it will look with the yellow hulls and no center split to lose lines and my beer through!

Anyone have this tramp on an 18' boat? How does it handle a heavy crew? Say about 500-600 lbs?

Thanks.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • I have a bias on both my Hobie 16 and 18 and LOVE them much better than the old vinyl, or mesh that has center lacing. Vinyl is better in colder rougher water as it cuts down on spray BUT, the mesh provides a nice cooling spray in warm weather. 2) I think the vinyl is more slippery than the mesh. The lack of center lacing is the biggest bonus though. Less cost to replace lacing, less to keep tightened, and your sheets can't fall through.

Some regattas could care a less about it not meeting class specs.
  • Great, Thanks for good word grayton_sailor!

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • I agree with fa1321.  I think the conventional lacing is better for distributing loads.  The bias cut uses tention across the back to cause the tramp to tighten, but you really have no control on how or where it tightens, which creates load points on the side rails of the boat where it attaches to the hulls.  It is a less expensive way to make a tramp, and yes it does have less lacing to mess with, but at what loss, as everything is a trade off.  When you have lacing down the side or middle, and across the back, the lacing can be tightened to your desired stiffness, and as the lacing moves it equalizes the loads, especially those put on the side rails.  For my money, I would go with a conventional laced tramp using the mesh material, and have a filler strip added where the lacing goes to keep things from falling through.  My Prindle 18-2 has this, and it works great.
  • I think the dimensions are more critical on the bias cut because it only tightens from one direction. I replaced the original tramp on my 04 Nacra 570 with a bias cut tramp from Sunrise Yacht Products. I paid more for it but they verified the measurements off my boat, it was cut right, tightened up evenly, and I'm very pleased with it. I think it is matter of preference on which way you want to go.

--
    Steve - Texas Gulf Coast

91 Mystere 5.0 (sold)
    04 Nacra 570 (sold)
    08 Hobie Wave
    00 Taipan 4.9
    --
  • i have owned h16, h18 and a mystere 5.5 and replaced tramps on each

i have tried all kinds of tramps and i can say 100% that i prefer the high quality bias cut and thread from Sunrise over any other dealer / stock hobie tramp

tightening my hobie tramp was a pita because it required tools and took way to long. On my current boat i can tighten my tramp on any beach by hand in 3 minutes.

You can get a decent product from most options (as long as it's a reputable company), or pay a little more for a product with uneven quality and support fron Sunrise

Edited by MN3 on Jul 23, 2014 - 11:18 AM.
  • I've got a bias cut from slo on my 5.2, great trampoline. Well built. No complaints. Good fit right out of the box but Andrew at slo has implied that that have done quite a few 5.2s. I got sails from them too and they are great also.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • They may be good but when it comes to boating I believe in buying local and supporting the local craftsman and staff (whenever possible)

especially since It is really had to be profitable in the boating world

I would rather pay a few $ more and support local boating companies, craftsmen and staff

if not they will all be all be gone
  • I think he is located in Quebec, with French as his first language. Therefore it may be easier for him to deal with a company speaking the same language.
    QuoteYou can get a decent product from most options (as long as it's a reputable company), or pay a little more for a product with uneven quality and support fron Sunrise

Emphasis mine. Is that what you meant to say?
    I have Sunrise products on the 6.0 & one Nacra, they are the best tramps I have seen.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteEmphasis mine. Is that what you meant to say?

I meant to say "unequaled quality"

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.