Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beach wheel options?  Bottom

• Have a new boat coming on a dolly. Boat and dolly less than 150 pounds. The dolly comes with the little rubber wheels with the plastic red hubs. Kinda street or ramp tires. I think would work poorly in soft beach sand.

I need something that will work ok in gravel, pavement, grass, and sand. Kinda a do it all tire. Was wondering if anyone has had luck with the wheeleez grey rubber wheel sets. They look like a sticker bush or sharp rock would puncture them easy? I see hobie offers a dolly for the 16 that has two sets of those rubber red hub wheels on it for the beach. I have an extra set laying around I could put with the new dolly wheels. Anyone use this 16 dolly from hobie on the beach? Any other thoughts? I think the cat trax wheels are just overkill for this boat. Thanks
  • I have those 2 ply tires on my dolly but I read that you can fill them with foam. They recommend the type used to set fence posts. It is available at Lowe's or Home Depot. The other alternative is have them filled with foam at a tire shop. Apparently the tires on forklifts are very prone to punctures. No all tire shops offer this service so you'll ha ve to check around. My problem is getting the boat and dolly up the beechnut have solved that with a battery powered winch.
  • The 2 ply you are talking about are which set?
  • Wheelez are plenty robust for what you're talking about doing and will not be punctured easily. I have a set and have used them on all of the surfaces you listed above without a problem. The company also claims that punctures can be repaired by carefully heating up and melting the damaged area back together.

sm
  • Great great. Glad to hear that feedback.
  • What kind of boat? Is this for Hyde Lake?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • A waszp. What is Hyde lake?
  • memphisnacraA waszp. What is Hyde lake?

That's the new name for the expanded Patriot Lake in Shelby Farms Park. Since it reopened some of the Hobie 16's have sailed there.

What and where do you sail?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Sailing 16's at Shelby farms? Whoa! Lol. I have Catalina 30 at Pickwick. Have a a-cat been sailing and now forsale. Have a waszp coming in the country soon. Sailing gulf coast. Pickwick. East coast and west coast Florida. And lake Lanier. I work for Chris Rooke.
  • memphisnacraThe dolly comes with the little rubber wheels with the plastic red hubs. Kinda street or ramp tires. I think would work poorly in soft beach sand.

I think the cat trax wheels are just overkill for this boat. Thanks

You might get away with the plastic wheels but if you are going to roll the boat over the very soft Gulf Coast sand then probably best to go with the big CatTrax tires.

They make a canoe version that might be modified for the Waszp.
    http://floridasailcraft.c…ct/outrigger-canoe-cart/

http://floridasailcraft.com/w/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I have the plastic trax wheels for my acat. They really suck compared to the rubber ones in the gulf sand. So they do make a smaller version huh? I thought I looked. You don't like the wheelerz grey wheels?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.