I broke a bow tang off the bow on my 95 mystere
I broke a side stay tang off 6 years ago or so.. I knew it was a matter of time before the bow tang went (http://www.thebeachcats.c…nc=viewtopic&topic=11540)
I had bow tangs fabricated a few years back when a friend had a broken bow tang on his mystere
I figured I would document it here to help anyone out in the future
I have created an album to host the images - http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=123629
Tang broke while on the water
Rig did not fall (was held up by spin bridal)
I went out to the bow and tied off the furler to a line I wrapped around the bow
Broken Tang (and one from the other bow) -
So with the help of a friend, chisel, putty knife and crow bar .... off come the decks
Yesterday I sanded down the decklids to level off the old glue (and started sanding on the bows to level them off too) and while I had the lids off, I epoxied the bulkheads to the walls (they had some glass on them attaching them, but not a lot)
More to come ...
Edited by MN3 on Jul 25, 2016 - 12:54 PM.
Glad to help out ~
this really is not that hard of a job, but putting a chisel to your boat and small sledge to knock out the tang is painful.
I'm gonna add a few lb of epoxy to my boat (bulkheads) but I should have a stiffer boat when done
SideNote: the bulkheads directly under the beam they have a few "lightning bolts" running through them (are cracked) - I will be adding some new glass/epoxy to reinforce them
Last night I took some pics from behind the bulkhead that is directly under the beam
we had to cut holes into this bulkhead 6 years ago to gain access to the side stays.
at that time (under advisement) I used some epoxy and "sealed" the lip of the cut so water could not get in.
It seems I should have replaced the cut out or glassed over it as it has now developed "lightning bolt" style cracks that are all coming from(or going to) the area we cut out.
went to store - purchase 4' x 8' foamboard was $75 but i showed him the messed up corner - he said he could replace it, I asked for a discount instead. He gave me 30% off. - Fiberglass Coatings, Inc. St Pete Rocks!
made templates then cut foam
epoxy sides and tops
back side and added a spline for added strenght
While i had access, i added marine grade silicone from underneath both hull ports
Edited by MN3 on Aug 02, 2016 - 12:47 PM.
I appreciate the detail you are showing on this repair. Every time someone takes on on of these repairs and shows others how it is done it brings the value of all these boats up. These are not overwhelming repairs when you understand the steps and the materials. These boats are not "shot" when they are slightly damaged. Doing the repairs correctly simply extends the boats life substantially.
It is also interesting that you got to this repair when you did. Things were definitely starting to happen that would have made for a very bad day on the water.
NACRA 5.2 #400
This End Up
Original owner since 1975
Glad to help other cat sailors -
This was an expected event, I had the replacement parts fabricated years ago and will sail with much more confidence in my vessel after this.
I am glad i found out the bulk heads were so blown out - i should have kept a better eye on them (they have ports close) - the forces trying to rip apart these bulkheads is immense.
Today i cut open the lat bulkhead that we installed many years ago when i put in a big hatch so i could glass up the entire cracked bulkhead top to bottom
I just realized it is wood and not foam, so it's coming out and will be replaced with much lighter foam cored epoxy
Edited by MN3 on Aug 03, 2016 - 11:20 AM.
epoxied in new bow tangs
Bulkhead glass all cured
Added tape to top of decks - added glass to the lip (for a nice clean area to epoxy back on
2 tubes of West System six10 per side
used straps to squeeze deck to boat - used weights on the bow tips
nice shot of the six10 oooozing out of the deck lid and deck
many layers of thickend and pigmented gelcoat - last coat had wax additive
Then 10 sheets of 80grit with an inline-sander
5 sheets of 220
20 sheets of various grit for a powered mouse detail-sander
a few sheets of 320, 400 and 600 for a hand block sander
Site is importing these 90" off and currently wont let me adjust
That's it - stick a fork in me
there are some small imperfections in the new gel-coat that i could spend another week on to get it Show-Room-Perfect but since no other area of this boat is close .... i'm basically done
I'm going sailing on it this weekend (as soon as this Tropical Storm Hermine gets out of here - there is a local race on sunday too)
Edited by MN3 on Aug 31, 2016 - 03:12 PM.