Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What's this for ?  Bottom

• http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=62042&g2_
  • This says H-18 cam assy kit-bagged,any thoughts i thought maybe for rudder cam but i don't know.
  • I believe that is the old style rudder cam (pre 1984) when they had alum cams. they were inferiour to the upgraded rubber cams.

It is part of the lock down system to keep the rudders down.

There is an upgrade kit available (for about $700 plus labor)
  • Rudder cam for H18 indeed. It also comes with the nyliners which are white teflon bearings that help reduce rudder play/slop and aid in pivot action.
  • I did the upgrade after i cracked a lower casting, it was pricey but a nice upgrade
  • That's an interesting part. I never knew it was possible to replace the aluminum cam. I had the old style on my 81 H18 and broke several castings, and finally pulled the stern out of the starboard hull during a beach landing at Panama City Beach.

Then I finally sprung for the upgrade and have always reccomended doing it.

With the new plastic cam style you still need to do mainanence, keep them cleaned, lubed, and adjusted.

A good tip for the new season for all Hobie owners. Go out to your boat, and using only tools that you would have with you when launching, see if you can turn the plastic adjuster screw. If you can't then do whatever it takes (including removing the castings to a safe place and burning out the screw) to remove and replace it with a new screw, well lubed ( I use trailer ball lube ).

If you have it right you should be able to turn the screw with a long flat screw driver.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • damonAdminThat's an interesting part. I never knew it was possible to replace the aluminum cam.

WELL LUBRICATED IS KEY! If your system is sticking....just 1 spray of lube and the system will work better.

The biggest problem with the rubber cams (for me) was when they would get accidentally locked down. It took prying it undone, and risking scratching/breaking the plastic parts.

I found (after drilling a small hole in the rubber cam) the Hobie Utility tool has a hook on it that would easily re-position the cam without any scratching... or damage.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.