Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Noob Question re: Hobie Getaway  Bottom

• Hello all,

What a great site! I've been windsurfing for 18 years, but am a brand new Cat sailor. The kids are old enough to enjoy/teach sailing to and I thought it was time to buy a boat. I just bought a used 2001 Hobie Getaway (sans trailer). Lack of a trailer isn't a problem as I live on a small lake here in New Hampshire where I will be sailing it. I don't plan to dock or moor it due to the great advice I've seen here in the forums.
    My Question: can I keep the mast up and rigged all summer if I pull the boat up on the beach, or should I drop the mast? Also it seems to be a good idea to cover at least the tramp when not in use to keep it out of the sun - is that practical?

Thanks for such a great resource!

Best Regards,

Dave

edited by: ATCDave, Mar 16, 2009 - 03:34 PM
  • Dave,
    You can leave the mast up. Take the sails inside. You might want to tie the boat down so that a strong wind wont blow it over.
  • you can leave it mast up... but secure everything that might move... yes tie it down (and take the mast down) in real windy conditions.

Yes cover the tramp(s), blocks and the lines to protect them from UV damage.

Don't leave the jib furled up on the boat... the UV will eat it and it could get lose in a storm... (and your cat will fly)
  • Thanks guys for your insight. I'm considering making a rack of wood or PVC (like in the tech gallery) in the water to be able to store the boat above the water - instead of dragging up on the beach and wearing down the hulls. I will definitely lash 'er down when not in use!

Best,

Dave
  • Getaway are Roto-molded and very resistant to wear and abuse... that being said... dragging up a beach is basically sanding it... they do make (or you can fabricate) beach dollies... they are great
  • Make sure you get the inflatable wheels, not the hard plastic. I pull my Getaway solo with the inflatable wheels, even in soft sand. Not so with the hard wheels.

Also, I leave up my mast during the sailing season, unless there's a bad storm forecast. You can leave up jib, too, but be sure to use the snorkle, or you will get sun damage.

Anchor the boat to the beach from both both fore and aft beams. I use mobile home anchors, which you can buy at Home Depot. I had my one-month-old Getaway anchored only in the bow, and a 50kt gust picked it up, spun it, snapped the line and tossed it 40' away in the dunes. I never had trouble again, after I anchored it fore and aft.

Have fun. You've got a GREAT boat.
  • mbsailorHave fun. You've got a GREAT boat.

mbsailor,

Good to have a Getaway sailor on board, please hang around and watch for newbie posts about the Getaway, and any tech tips about life with the Getaway would be appreciated.

Hobie has sold a ton of these but not many of the owners hang out around here. Maybe it's because they don't have problems and the boat "just works"?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • mbsailorYou can leave up jib, too, but be sure to use the snorkle, or you will get sun damage.

I am not sure i would trust a snorkle. they even say its not for long term storage. they will rub your jib in the wind and cause damage. Plus i have seen a jib top work its way out of the snorkle, flap itself to death in a storm.
  • they will rub your jib in the wind and cause damage.

Interesting. I didn't know that. The snorkle top will, at times, slide down a foot or so from the top. Seems to happen more often now that my snorkle is older and less stiff. I just use my tiller extender to push it back up over the top of the sail.
  • I am sure different jib materials are effected differently from the friction, but i recall reading that it can cause chaffing.

Also if you get salt (from saltwater) on the sails... that can cause micro scratches, and chaffing... leading to weak points / tears / flaming death...

I still think the biggest risk is the jib getting lose and flogging itself to death. I lost a h18 jib one day on the beach as a squall line came through and my jib was turned into 10 lbs of dental floss in about .005 seconds.

edited by: andrewscott, Mar 17, 2009 - 03:57 PM
  • If you are into windsurfing and need a cat close to a windsurfing board you can try the Starboard Serenity Cat. Here you can find more on it and on other windsurfing gear.
  • The newer snorkel designs are laced like a shoe (no zipper) and because they grip the jib better they generally don't rub on the sail like the older zippered designs do. I have one on order with my new jib. I will post a pic when it arrives.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I had a UV strip sewn along the bottom & edge of the sail. When furled none of the sail material is exposed to the sun. They did have to remove the two small horizontal battens, & replace them with double length battens, on an angle.
    Along with the cleat, I tie the furling line and secure an extra line around the jib when leaving, we get free floss from the dentist, no need to make my own icon_biggrin
    Maybe you should have packaged it & sold it cheap....10 lbs, that would be worth thousands!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.