Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Night Sailing  Bottom

• Just a passing thought that has gone through my head a few times. Has anyone tried sailing at night? I am thinking about giving it a try during one of the full moons this summer. There is more than enough light to see. As far as I can tell Coast Guard requirements for a boat sailing at night in this vessel size without a motor is not required to display running lights. Only a flash light that must be shined (shown) into main sail for traffic to see. The unappealing thought is of all of the creatures that feed at night i.e. sharks! icon_confused

Any thoughts, stories ( I can read at work), or pointers would be great.
  • Yes, and it is incredible. I highly recommend it, and doing it without lights if you can get away with it. Once your eyes are adjusted, you can see really well. The light will just screw up the experience, IMO.

--
    Philip
    --
  • we do a fair amount of night sailing here in the tampa bay (clearwater) area as we camp often and it isn't too rare for us to overstay somewhere and get to beach at dark....

i wear a head lamp upside down so it illuminates my sails but is out of my eye... i try to keep it totally out of my sight. you need to let your eyes adjust... it actually takes 30-40 minutes of no light to gain all your vision.

avoid channels and power boats... they can't see you at all... even with your headlamp on your main sail.

they do sell little LED running lights but i dont think a power boat can see them either..

it is amazing to see all the stars, and it is a totally new experience.

i have yet to ever hear of a shark jumping on someones tramp... i would worry more about Nessie than jaws... (famous last words?)
  • andrewscott
    i have yet to ever hear of a shark jumping on someones tramp... i would worry more about Nessie than jaws... (famous last words?)

Haha yeah I guess statistically sailing during the day with threat of a powerboat hitting me is much greater than a shark attack. Though I think if survived, the shark story makes for a better conversation piece.

A trick I learned in the past with night vision. If you have to turn on a light try to use one that has a red lens (if you have to use it to look around on the boat)and also close one eye when a bright light is on. It makes acquiring night vision faster.

• Hi: if you sail at nite you need to have lights that other boats can see . Always have a vhf radio , cell phone just incase you need it ! Many years ago when I first started sailing a Hobie 14, I was out at nite sailing in a very shallow area(2-3 ft) along the shore line when I passed a partially submerged & floating 50 gal drum.....Had I hit it ,I dont know the extent of the damge it would have caused .... That was the last sail on the cat at nite for me .. The other thing that always scared me was the speeding power boats criss crossing everywhere in deeper waters . I do sail a great deal at nite all summer but on a Flying Scot with adequate marine lighting, & 2 extra flashlights ,just incase I need them. Don't forget your paddle if you venture out at Nite & becareful ! Bill Brooklyn NY
  • mma600psi
    andrewscott

Haha yeah I guess statistically sailing during the day with threat of a powerboat hitting me is much greater than a shark attack. Though I think if survived, the shark story makes for a better conversation piece.

A trick I learned in the past with night vision. If you have to turn on a light try to use one that has a red lens (if you have to use it to look around on the boat)and also close one eye when a bright light is on. It makes acquiring night vision faster.

That is why pirates used patches.. They were not all blind in one eye:)

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.