Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Which GPS?  Bottom

• Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably prices GPS ($225 and under if possible)? I found a few wrist held models that are more for runners and cyclists, but one for marine usage would be better suited. Any input? Thanks!
  • the Velotech is amazing and has a cool VMG system... but its above your range.

Be careful of the wristband ones as the pins that hold them in place break off and splash (followed by a bloop bloop) goes your toy....

The garmin GPS 72? is your entry level one... depending on needs.. you can get it for around $100

best if you get one with a memory card... color display... and BEST if you find one with a USB cord... many are serial port and many pc's dont even have that anymore.

I personally use my IPhone but all i care about is what changes i do impact my speed (move forward, travel out and sheet in... etc)

• I'm using the Garmin Etrex Legend, there are a lot of Etrex models, so shop around. These models are small and reasonably water proof, although I had one die on me almost as soon as it got wet, it was replaced by Garmin.

These used to be well over $225 but now you can get the Legend models for under $200.

Keep in mind that with GPS, the price of the hardware is just the beginning. The frustrating thing is that these units are nearly useless as they are sold. You have to add map software which can cost as much as the GPS to actually use them to find your way.

I say useless, but they can act as speedometers, and you can record your tracks as you sail, but without good maps to lay the tracks on...

Also I should mention that the screen on the Etrex models is pretty small, I make out details on maps without reading glasses, which means I need to find some sunglasses with readers built in. Sucks to get old.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • damonAdminI'm using the Garmin Etrex Legend, there are a lot of Etrex models, so shop around. These models are small and reasonably water proof, although I had one die on me almost as soon as it got wet, it was replaced by Garmin.

Many guys keep there "waterproof", floating GPS's in a $10 drypack for extra saftey (and they have a lanyard)
  • I have a garmin 60CSX and Damon your right about it being useless out of the box. I spent alot of money on all that software. There are some good deals online. The disparity in price is amazing from retail stores. The 76 model is fully water proof which is better than the IPX7 rating (the difference in being dunked and truly waterproof). It also floats. Its been a year or more since I've priced, but it all depends on what your really want it for. If its just a speedometer or compass go for cheap. I use my old etrex legend for that. If its mapping, and you would like to use it in the auto the more expensive enables turn by turn directions. The garmin website has a nice compare feature.
  • I am going to look into the models suggested. I basically just need something for distance, speed, recorded top speed etc. Also for basic mapping, some of the areas where I am planning on sailing next year in the southern part of barneget bay, NJ have many islands and coves so I would like to know how to get back form where I started. I think that the "bread crumb" trail would suffice.
  • I use the Sextant OR (original), it's pretty heavy, I attach it to the mast with a lanyard cause if you lose it it sinks being made out of brass. Only downside is when you can't see the sun on a cloudy day, the maps I keep rolled up in the tramp pocket, they kept getting wet so I had them laminated. As for speed, I judge that by the height of my rooster-tail, 4' tall = going fast, 6' tall = going damn fast. icon_rolleyes

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • andrewscottI personally use my IPhone but all i care about is what changes i do impact my speed (move forward, travel out and sheet in... etc)

What do you use to protect your iphone. I was considering the same option once I upgrade to the 3g.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Can you use the iPhone as a GPS speedmeter? If so, how?
  • The new iphone has GPS built in. There is a free down loadable app called Speed. It shows the current speed in mph or kph or knots.

It has a big readout and can be seen pretty well... much bigger than any other handheld gps i have seen.

Drawback... no other features (i would love it to show top speed, distance, track, etc). There are down loadable apps that do some of these but they are not free.

http://epicfeats.com/images/speed.jpg

edited by: andrewscott, Oct 15, 2008 - 03:03 PM
  • What about one of the models with a radio built into them? I am going to have to shop around during the winter. The best time price-wise to buy electronics is last winter/early spring. From what I remember my days back at Best Buy that was the "slow" time of the year and all electronics prices were slashed.
  • QuarathWhat do you use to protect your iphone. I was considering the same option once I upgrade to the 3g.

A $10 Dry Pack - http://www.drypakcase.com/phones.php

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.