Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Raising the mast on the H17 the Aussi way?  Bottom

• I read this on the forum. The post is by Barry Sanders (of Australia)about problems and fixes for the H17. This is a great informational piece. I have been having trouble with one of his ideas.

icon_cool icon_mad He writes, "We all raise and lower our masts over the front by taking off the downwind side shroud and pushing the mast gently backwards to keep one forestay tight, and lowering until we are at the mast's centre then moving the mast slightly forward to allow us to remove the step from the ball and then laying the mast across the wings . Solo rigging is no trouble at all using this method but the mast rotation lever's mounting bolt comes awfully close to the cross beam ."

I have been trying to get my mind around this process with no luck. Does anyone have a photo series or utube type video of this process of raising and lowering the H17 mast. I would like to see it done before trying it myself.

Thank you,
    Steve
    Sailing in the high desert

--
    Steve
    H14, H16, H17
    --
  • Hey Sport.....
    I've read that a few times and I can't wrap my head around it either, it just doesn't make any sense !!!! I also have a 17 but I raise mine from the back. My girl helps me with it, but I can do it solo as long as I point my cat downhill on the ramp. (I take it off the trl.and turn it around in the water~then pull it back) I take a few 4x4 blocks of wood with me and put them under the stern hulls for a little extra downward point. Helps keep the mast pointing forward. Ya do have to be careful of that bolt.Mine has hit the frame a little. I loosen the shrouds 2 holes untill I get my forstay secured, then readjust my shrouds back.... icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Your h17 mast is not that heavy. you should be able to lift it with it on a trailer ... .. just have crew (or anyone who will help) up front to secure the halyard(s).

I had an h18 and that mast was filled with anti-matter. Now i have a 30' mast and its not any easier.. but i now trailer my boat with the bows out and utilize the mast cradle (on the trailer) to hold my mast up at an angle. this makes stepping much easier (but others will tell you it is crazy to step a mast over your car)

it can be solo'ed as described above as well.. but that isnt the safest thing in the world (i have done that as well).

If you really need more help than that you should purchase an EZ Step mast step system. they work very well
  • TREE'S~~~ I have trees & branches where I put in. It's a small rinky-dink launch, and it's right where I keep my cats. No, it's not heavy and she gets the forstay for me.
    When I do the 18, she'll walk up for me untill I can get under it~~diamond wires are a pain. I've done it on the trl if we take it somewhere
    Andy~~~ nice website ya have there... great picts, I gotta go through it more !!!!

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Yes, i always wanted help with my 18... it was a bear. But i would ask people to hop up the tramp and help from there. now i have a saftey line i clip to the forestay and have someone pull on it as i step the 30' mystere mast.

Glad you like the pics on my site... where did you see the link?

(AndREW) :)
  • from the 'catamaran sailor' site

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • And it looks like ya all had a lotta fun........

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I sail a G-cat 5.7. The mast is a bear to get up and as I age I know a day is coming where I would not be able to step it up. A gentleman came by me one day and told me about a way to use a winch. I had experience to a point on this... but the mast kept trying to sway left or right. He told me to install a cable forming a right angle from the cross bar to each side of the mast... this would stop the mast from lateral movement as it is cranked up by the forestay. I have not made this yet but it sounds like it would be much easier. I try not to drill extra holes in the mast to attach the cables. Still mulling it over.

• You can simply tie a loop of line around your front beam (at the ends) and tie that to your trapwires. this is how the Easy Step system works. the trapwires are what stop if from swaying. Or you could put a eyestraps on the beam (at the ends) and tie line from the trapline to the eyestraps.

Or you could bite the bullet and actually buy the easy-step system (about $175)

PS do you sail in Dunedin? i know you are in the area but i dont know where you sail. You can walk up to any of us regulars and we would be glad to help you rig or show you how to tie off your trap wires to do this.

edited by: andrewscott, Sep 04, 2008 - 10:54 AM
  • if this guy has any relation to Lionel Sanders of Perth he is a loon.

Just get a hand cranked wench & bolt to the part of the trailer which holds the mast.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.