Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Help, need H18 mast in CT… got screwed  Bottom

• Picked up an 89’ H18 yesterday from Long Island and overall the boat looked in good shape, solid hulls and a newer purchased tramp and jib so I pad on higher end for an H18. Even had original paper manual from when it was purchased new in ‘91. Also, it was pouring rain and a long drive so it was tough to really go through the boat.

Once I got home and flipped the mast over I see there’s a huge dent and kink about 4’ from bottom of mast. The luff track isn’t compromised but the dent is significant, I think the mast may work as is but I’ll be sailing with children and won’t accept taking any risks.

I learned a good lesson but does anyone have an H18 mast for sale in the New England area?
  • Contact Rick Bliss at New England Catamarans. He usually has lots of parts.
  • That is very unfortunate that the seller didn't disclose this to you.
  • ~~ Is that a Mag or a SX ???? ....... I have a Mag mast, live in central NY ( Oneida Lake )

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • This might be a really dumb idea, but if the damage is only four inches above the mast step and you cannot locate another mast at a reasonable price, could you shorten your mast four inches? The main would have to be reduced as well and perhaps you could reduce it at the head and not interfere with the shape and the loss of sail area would be inconsequential. If you had to reduce from the foot, the loss of sail area would be more but still very little. A sailmaker could advise you on this.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • ~~ I have 2 MAG Mast's sold my 18 years ago ~~

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Quotepopeyez7

and popeyez7 saves the day!

prost victory

Edited by MN3 on May 01, 2023 - 07:52 PM.
  • popeyez7~~ I have 2 MAG Mast's sold my 18 years ago ~~

Awesome! It’s a magnum, I’ll shoot you a PM. Thank you!

Interesting enough, the seller messaged me to ask if I made home ok. I asked him about the dent and if he sailed with it? He replied that it has been there forever and has taken the boat out in big wind without issue. I guess it would be ok as is but obviously I’d prefer to replace it.
  • Being so low, maybe you could sleeve it internally??

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • shortyfoxThis might be a really dumb idea, but if the damage is only four inches above the mast step and you cannot locate another mast at a reasonable price, could you shorten your mast four inches?

I like that you think out of the box, but in this instance to shorten the mast would be expensive and problematic on several levels.
    * The sails - both - would be affected because you would have to shorten all three stays to accommodate the change.
    * New stays and modified sails are expensive. probably MUCH more than a used mast.
    * This would also cost you critical space under the boom for tacking and general boat movement.
    * It will also critically reduce the space needed for your mainsheet blocks, putting you in a dangerous two-blocked situation where you simply cannot control the mainsail anymore.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • To clarify the dent is 4 FEET from the bottom of mast, if it were 4" and I would just send it icon_cool
  • Sorry, sometimes I don't put my readers on, and I thought of moving all the stuff after I sent the reply. I had a boat once that had about 4 feet of another mast riveted on it, like a sleeve. I had no problems with it.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • car_guyOnce I got home and flipped the mast over I see there’s a huge dent and kink about 4’ from bottom of mast. The luff track isn’t compromised but the dent is significant, I think the mast may work as is but I’ll be sailing with children and won’t accept taking any risks.

I've seen these dents that occur when a mast is dropped or takes a hit with something along the luff track, which seems like a delicate area and a pretty common place for damage. I recently saw this on a boat for sale. The dents made the sides of the track appear somewhat pinched together, and you get concerned that the bolt rope won't slide easily up and down.

Does anyone know if there's a recognized way to try to reduce this damage on aluminum masts, so the bolt rope flows freely and the mast doesn't have to be junked?

Edited by CatFan57 on May 04, 2023 - 09:46 AM.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • QuoteDoes anyone know if there's a recognized way to try to reduce this damage on aluminum masts, so the bolt rope flows freely and the mast doesn't have to be junked?

yes. you can create a wedge shape with wood (think door stopper or slice of pie) and use a rubber mallet and work the pinched areas open.

You don't put the wedge straight into the track, you angle it up or down the track and gently tap / run it up or down the length of the track, using as little of the wedge as possible but enough... you want to "work" the metal as little as possible as it reduces the strength of the metal but with this method you can open a pinched section of the track. this part of the mast is typically stronger than the front or sides of the mast as there are folds in the track where the other sides of the mast are simply a shaped similar to a can - think of how easy it is to squeeze and empty beer can and how hard it is to deform the top of the can due to the bent over rim
  • MN3yes. you can create a wedge shape with wood (think door stopper or slice of pie) and use a rubber mallet and work the pinched areas open.

You don't put the wedge straight into the track, you angle it up or down the track and gently tap / run it up or down the length of the track, using as little of the wedge as possible but enough... with this method you can open a pinched section of the track.

Excellent info and very understandable - thanks, now I'll always know this. Maybe it will help the OP too.

Edited by CatFan57 on May 04, 2023 - 11:03 AM.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • I have a pretty nice black uncut mast for a H18 in Wichita, Ks. I'd sell reasonably. To bad your so far away.
  • I had a diamond wire break with 3 ppl on the boat in strong wind and the mast did not break. It was on a H18 SX i think they are called. the one with the wings. I think they have a longer mast than a regular 18. it had a comptip.
    That extrusion is very beefy and the dent may not be a problem other than visual.
  • rodgersI had a diamond wire break with 3 ppl on the boat in strong wind and the mast did not break. It was on a H18 SX i think they are called. the one with the wings. I think they have a longer mast than a regular 18. it had a comptip.
    That extrusion is very beefy and the dent may not be a problem other than visual.

Thanks, I sailed it daily for last two weeks without issue, had 4 people on board at times in pretty big wind. I think it's only a cosmetic problem.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.