Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

spreader bar discomfort  Bottom

• I have never used one before, and am finding that it wants to dig in to my torso to the point where it's too uncomfortable to use. Any tips on what I might be doing wrong? It's a Murrays half harness with a 12" spreader bar.
  • i ended up making mine VERY loose - and just hung in it, to avoid it digging into me
  • westmattI have never used one before, and am finding that it wants to dig in to my torso to the point where it's too uncomfortable to use. Any tips on what I might be doing wrong? It's a Murrays half harness with a 12" spreader bar.

"... digging in to my torso..." sounds like the harness is not tight enough at the waist. The trapeze hook should be at waist level. When I get set-up, I will tighten the sides first; pretty tight. Then will snug the other straps to comfort.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • I've used a fixed spreader bar in butt buckets and full harnesses of different types and never had it touching my body in any way. It should be about an inch from your belly when hanging in it, and not uncomfortable when sitting on the hull in it.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • MN3i ended up making mine VERY loose - and just hung in it, to avoid it digging into me

I did the same thing. When it's tight, it pulls the side straps together.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • klozhaldI've used a fixed spreader bar in butt buckets and full harnesses of different types and never had it touching my body in any way. It should be about an inch from your belly when hanging in it, and not uncomfortable when sitting on the hull in it.

Funny enough, I say that if my harness isn't uncomfortable when I put it on, that it isn't tight enough, lol

I crank mine down TIGHT b/c I don't like having the spreader bar far from me.

I had a Murrays harness YEARS ago and didn't like it (it hurt). It may be that the harness isn't right for you.
  • Looking at the spreader bars I have, there are some that are designed for full harnesses and others for butt buckets. I had one of the full harness bars and the tab on the top would dig into my gut (my gut had grown over the last decade+), but realized that was the discomfort with my. If you have the tab on top, try another bar or cut the tab off.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • my welder buddy made his own bar - it was 12" vs the 10" bar that Murray's sells. it eliminated the hip pinching
  • QuoteIf you have the tab on top, try another bar or cut the tab off.

I think you may be on to something. Once hanging, there's no discomfort, but sitting on the tramp or getting into position, I think it IS the upper tab. I'll make sure and then think about removing it, since it's unused.

I appreciate all the insights.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.