Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Supercat 19 Mast hound  Bottom

• Hey all,
    I recently picked up a used Supercat 19. I'm going through a list of parts to get it ready to sail this summer. The issue I've found is my mast hound is pretty well elongated, and I'm looking for a replacement. I've been in contact with Tom at Aquarius sails inc. He does have a replacement part, but for the shape this cat is in I'm not wanting to drop that kind of money for a replacement. I'm curious about what other cats have a similar mast profile. I've seen the heavy duty mast hounds for nacra/inter F18s, and at less than half the cost it really has me wondering if this would fit my mast. From the small amount of info I've been able to gather they seem like they are almost identical. Any have info for mast profiles of the f18's vs the Supercats?

--
    Colton S
    84 Supercat 19
    Corpus Christi, TX
    --
  • It is worth the money to get the proper part. If the mast hound fails, the mast will come down, and possibly rip the sails and break other parts on the boat. It would fall backwards and also possibly injure you and or the crew.
  • I definitely understand the safety aspect of buying a part that is correct to the mast. If the mast profiles are the same I don't see a reason why the f18 hound wouldn't work. Maybe I'm missing something? Even a standard ronstan mast hound that mounts with the 6 holes would be better than what the PO was sailing with that came factory on this mast. It's a 19 with the shorter 17 mast. Once I figure out how to post a picture I'll add in a pic of my current mast hound. Thanks Hullflyer

--
    Colton S
    84 Supercat 19
    Corpus Christi, TX
    --
  • https://www.thebeachcats.…431&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

I'll get a proper upload when I get home. Working off of a cell phone right now.

Edited by coltnscott on Feb 08, 2023 - 10:54 AM.

--
    Colton S
    84 Supercat 19
    Corpus Christi, TX
    --
  • I don't know, Hullflyer is super experienced. I know for a fact that Super Cat masts are heavier than most. May wanna consider his advice.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • I've never seen a mast hound held on by Phillips head screws...I don't know for sure, but I don't think that's normal and I wouldn't trust it to hold, necessarily. Maybe they're into some kind of threaded backing (I hope) and not just sheet metal screws filling old rivet holes. I've only ever seen stainless or monel rivets used there.

BTW, it's not uncommon for riggers to use other brands of critical hardware on a mast if it is specified correctly. Beachcats? Dunno, but bet it's been done before. Could be just fine, but if it isn't right/strong enough, it ISN'T all at once on a strong reach away from shore. Good luck with it and show us some more pics. Those are supposed to be some kick-butt cats.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I've ordered the Nacra mast hound today. I'll get a closer look at how the profiles line up when it arrives, and will post back when I receive it. I can't imagine that hound is any weaker than what my current setup is. I'm going to be approaching this very cautiously before I make an final decisions. Meanwhile does anyone have a Nacra 18 mast profile they could share with measurements?

I appreciate y'alls feedback

--
    Colton S
    84 Supercat 19
    Corpus Christi, TX
    --
  • I am curious, what was the difference in price between the two.
  • $185 for aquarius sails, and $75 for the nacra

--
    Colton S
    84 Supercat 19
    Corpus Christi, TX
    --
  • I'd be really surprised if comparably sized cats from similar eras don't have similar loads on the rigging, assuming they were both originally designed to have main, jib and spinnaker. The sail area between 2 different 18 footers will be slightly different, but I can't imagine the resulting loads on engineered components like hounds would be vastly different...could they?

I mean, I'm swapping out my Hobie furler to the Ronstan High-load 208 model, and therefore having to add a Nacra Y fitting at the bridles, etc. These parts are pretty easy to get specifications for, but unfortunately the way Ronstan and Harken approach specs are vastly different. Ronstan's upper swivels, for example (Hobie original source) have this phenomenal 3,700# B.L., which I guess is Breaking Limit. The up-rated hardware by Harken is listed as "Maximum Working Load", but only like 2,000#. Weird, but not surprising competitors would do that - use different units of measure.

Seems like we'd never see any kind of loads like that, however I have to replace a 5/8" forged Harken bow shackle at the hound about every season or more from it deforming and it has a working load of 3,000# Crazy

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.