Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Destin, FL. Cat launching  Bottom

• Hey everyone

I’ll be headed to Destin, FL in next couple of weeks. Does anyone have suggestions for cat friendly launching areas?

Thanks

--
    Forrest
    I-20 USA-645
    Hernando, Florida
    "There's not enough rum in the drum"
    --
  • I too am interested in any tips that are suggested. You might check with Fort Walton Yacht Club if you're interested in launching into Choctawhatchee Bay for Sailing, not sure about Beach Launches for Gulf Sailing. 850.243.7102

--
    Tim Gibson
    1982 Hobie 16 Carumba Sails
    1980 Hobie 14 Cat Fever Sails (SOLD)
    Memphis, TN
    --
  • I've never been but I see there is a "boat ramp" at Gulf Islands National Seashore 30°23'52.44" N, 86° 34' 57.72" W. From the areal shots, it looks like it's really just a drive on beach.
    Another spot just west of there called Marler Park maybe?
  • Thanks Daniel - I just looked at the coordinates on Google Earth and I think both of those would be suitable for launch especially if you had some beach wheels to go that last little distance at the coordinates. Marler Park, however, appears to be a bonafide ramp/launch that I haven't noticed before. I'll keep these 2 locations pinned for future trips to Ft Walton/Destin.

--
    Tim Gibson
    Memphis, TN
    --
  • If anybody goes. Let me know about it. I have family up in the area and I always wondered if it would be worth it to bring my boat with me.
  • never been either but i know there is LOTS of sailing, single and multi hulled so there has to be great access.
    There are a few residents on this forum, hopefully they will log in /chime in.

Pretty sure Damon would know too. someone wake him up !!! :)
  • I'm not a definitive expert but have spent a LOT of time on the water in the FL panhandle area...

Despite what one might think, there is not a lot of access or catsailng in the Destin area. Gulfside access is pretty much nonexistent except for a few locals that have permits to use a vehicle for beach launch. Don't even think about pulling into a condo, hotel, or most neighborhoods with a trailer. Also, you can't leave much of anything except a footprint on the beach overnight. Bay or soundside launching in FW or Panama City is probably available, but overnight trailer parking at the ramps is usually prohibited.

FWYC would probably be the best option if you could get permission. Not too far from there to Destin Pass and the Gulf, but the pass is narrow and usually crowded. Can be very tricky without auxiliary power depending on wind direction and tidal currents.

Sandestin rents (used to, at least) Getaways (and Waves?), but I'm sure that's seasonal.

Sour grapes: On a a typical visit to Destin, you will waste so much of your life in traffic jams and restaurant lines that something as nice as catsailing will be the farthest thing from your mind!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • rattlenhumSour grapes: On a a typical visit to Destin, you will waste so much of your life in traffic jams and restaurant lines that something as nice as catsailing will be the farthest thing from your mind!

I'd love to take my 16 down there at least once and sail Choctawatchee Bay while on vacation but I feel you with the traffic and the restaurant lines......

--
    Tim Gibson
    Memphis, TN
    --
  • Hey everyone,

Thanks for your input. It would appear that going down would be futile to say the least.
    Does anyone have better opinions on West Point Lake just outside of Columbus?

Thanks

--
    Forrest
    I-20 USA-645
    Hernando, Florida
    --
  • Except for FWYC, I have no personal knowledge of Choctawhatchee launching. Gulf sailing access in Mexico Beach was good before Michael at least. Have bay-sailed out of St. Andrews YC and Carl Gray Park in Panama City. There are some campsites at St. Andrews State Park with room to beach a cat, too. West from there to Ft. Walton is a zoo. Sound sailing at Navarre (Juana's) is great as Tim knows. We used to rent gulfside houses and sail in the gulf there, too, but that was a long time ago. You can launch into the bay at Quietwater Beach just down the street from Key Sailing in Pensacola Beach. Orange Beach and Gulf Shores are on par with Destin. We vacation at Dauphin Island and sail in the gulf. The sand/water aren't as nice as points east, but it's laid back with little commercialization and lots of wildlife...and a shorter drive.

Whereever you go, even if it looks like easy access, I'd always recommend checking with local authorities about keeping a boat on the beach and overnight trailer parking. (You're not even supposed to park overnight in the lot next to Juana's....she gets a special permit for the regatta.)

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Speaking from experience here, the launch at the Gulf Islands National Seashore park on Okaloosa Island is a very nice low and sandy access. You will be sailing in Choctwhatchee bay which is a very wide open bay with plenty of room to sail. If you want to launch from the beach, the access points are fairly limited. There is an access to the beach next to the boardwalk on Okaloosa Island and I have set up in the parking lot early in the morning and taken my boat on beach wheels through the access and launched from the beach there. I was advised that it was an emergency access and if I blocked it, I would probably get a citation. I did this very early in the day when there were no people around even on the beach yet, did it once and probably won't do it again. As far as Destin goes, not sure about beach access for launching. As said before, I would check with wherever it is that you will be staying to find out any details.
    We lived in Destin on Gulfshore Drive back in the late 70s and Destin had 1 traffic light, now it is a very congested area for sure.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • rattlenhumExcept for FWYC, I have no personal knowledge of Choctawhatchee launching. Gulf sailing access in Mexico Beach was good before Michael at least. Have bay-sailed out of St. Andrews YC and Carl Gray Park in Panama City. There are some campsites at St. Andrews State Park with room to beach a cat, too. West from there to Ft. Walton is a zoo. Sound sailing at Navarre (Juana's) is great as Tim knows. We used to rent gulfside houses and sail in the gulf there, too, but that was a long time ago. You can launch into the bay at Quietwater Beach just down the street from Key Sailing in Pensacola Beach. Orange Beach and Gulf Shores are on par with Destin. We vacation at Dauphin Island and sail in the gulf. The sand/water aren't as nice as points east, but it's laid back with little commercialization and lots of wildlife...and a shorter drive.

Whereever you go, even if it looks like easy access, I'd always recommend checking with local authorities about keeping a boat on the beach and overnight trailer parking. (You're not even supposed to park overnight in the lot next to Juana's....she gets a special permit for the regatta.)

Not meaning to hijack but do you know of any launch sites in Ft Morgan?

--
    Marty
    --
  • MillCreekHey everyone,

Thanks for your input. It would appear that going down would be futile to say the least.
    Does anyone have better opinions on West Point Lake just outside of Columbus?

Thanks

Dang, I just saw this. West Point lake is a pretty good sized lake and I know there are campgrounds and parks around the lake but I do not know exact details. It is a little too cold at the moment for me to get out there for sure. When are you going to be at West Point Lake and do you live in the area? I'm in Opelika and I actually work in Quality Control as a test track driver at the Kia plant in West Point, Georgia.

--
    Marty
    --
  • I’m moving to Waverly Hall next week. Boat is already here. I originally was looking for something on the coast for those weekend get always. However, living close to West Point is another option to get on the water

--
    Forrest
    I-20 USA-645
    Hernando, Florida
    --
  • Gulf Islands National Seashore Park on Okaloosa Island.
    This is where the public goes to launch and sail on Choctawhatchee Bay.

Carl Gray Park in PC is now a powerboat launch haven.

Juana's in Navarre is good.

There is still access by Key Sailing and it is closer to the sand ramp. It's not like it used to be.

Good luck!
    icon_wink

--
    Master UniRig Sailor
    --
  • QuoteNot meaning to hijack but do you know of any launch sites in Ft Morgan?

I don't, but it looks to be laid out a lot like Dauphin Is. I go there with the family (mostly in-laws) every summer, and my only criteria for the beach house we rent is that there be access around/under it to get the cat to the water. With a boat on the beach (and lots of beer) one can handle almost anything...including a week in the same house with the in-laws! icon_smile

You're a test track driver? Now that's cool!
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9q2ZuK8P8EB1QSBwiI37tqadoAFl0jnCVNFtymdaJtIAvvdAUefZFGSrOb2ADd3yoVCM&usqp=CAU

Edited by rattlenhum on Feb 21, 2023 - 06:37 AM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteWe vacation at Dauphin Island and sail in the gulf. The sand/water aren't as nice as points east, but it's laid back with little commercialization and lots of wildlife...and a shorter drive.

Jerome- Where do you usually put in on Dauphin? That looks interesting.

--
    Tim Gibson
    Memphis, TN
    --
  • rattlenhum
    QuoteNot meaning to hijack but do you know of any launch sites in Ft Morgan?

I don't, but it looks to be laid out a lot like Dauphin Is. I go there with the family (mostly in-laws) every summer, and my only criteria for the beach house we rent is that there be access around/under it to get the cat to the water. With a boat on the beach (and lots of beer) one can handle almost anything...including a week in the same house with the in-laws! icon_smile

You're a test track driver? Now that's cool!
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9q2ZuK8P8EB1QSBwiI37tqadoAFl0jnCVNFtymdaJtIAvvdAUefZFGSrOb2ADd3yoVCM&usqp=CAUEdited by rattlenhum on Feb 21, 2023 - 06:37 AM.

Thanks, yep I have a very fun job!!!
  • My wife and I just returned from camping at Forth Pickens, Pensacola campground. We spent a little time searching for future visits to launch our newly acquired Topper Argo dinghy sailboat. My 30-year-old P16 catamaran gave out a few years ago due to hull failure. We were looking for mostly bayside sailing areas because the waters are mostly calmer there. QuietWaters beach area seems the most promising, but trailer parking may be an issue. We did find a large parking lot going to the Forth Pickens just pass the last hotel that had a kayak launch that was about a 50ft dolly haul to the water. All other possible areas would be a 100ft or more dolly pull. (at 60+years could be a challenge). It a shame that catamaran and small dinghy sailboats launch areas is not available. So I will need to modify my boat dolly with extra wide wheels and get in better shape. () I am open if anyone has a good launch in mine.

Edited by sailbyme_60 on Mar 26, 2023 - 01:19 PM.
  • Have you checked out Chicken Bone ramp right by Fort Pickens?....intercostal side west of the condos before the park entrance.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.