Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Parts advice  Bottom

• I have a 20' trimaran that has essentially a beachcat rig. The current main and jibsheet arrangement is pretty bad, and I'm thinking of just finding replacement parts from a beachcat. I'd need jib tracks and jib cars, an 8' traveler, 6:1 or so mainsheet, I just want to transplant the whole thing. Current traveler is 2:1 and is probably not enough, need 3:1 at least. I liked the jib cars on my old Hobie 16, they had a bungee thing that let you adjust the cars from the trapeze, but I'm sure there are many more fancy setups that have come out since the 90s when I had that boat.

What's a good source to look at for parts for this? I'm trying to balance price, availability, and function. Any recommendations?
  • You need an entire donor boat to scavenge, but you'll need to match up the traveler track shape and length to what you have. Plenty of scrap-type boats out there for sale, just not on this site; these are usually too nice... Pictures?

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Lots of goodies in the parts ads here.
  • I'd like to narrow down the kind of donor boat I'm looking for. I'd be willing to replace the track if I need to. The current track mounts to a wood epoxy bulkhead, so I can fill the holes and mount a new one without worrying about holes lining up or anything.

I'll try to attach pics of the boat. It's a Discovery 20, Chris White design.

https://i.imgur.com/Ye8z9aA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gyADiyO.jpg
  • Argh, double post. Anyway I was hoping to find a big powerful beachcat that has a nice mainsheet/jibsheet (on cars on a track) setup to look for.

Edited by kson on Dec 16, 2022 - 11:14 AM.
  • You probably CAN find the parts here... Not real schooled on tri-design, but much of the Hobie line used like a 15/16 jib car track, that you can still get longer sections for, even brand new. 8' of traveler track might be tricky, though. I'm pretty sure that even on my 21 the track is more like 6 or 7 feet since we're rarely traveling the mainsheet that far out, even downwind.
    What is the current length of track?
    Straight or curved?
    Your current mainsheet arrangement looks very similar to the old Hobie 18's, though that sail looks like a whole lot more area (from the picture) with a whole lot less purchase on the blocks. On second thought, you MAY be better of getting the parts independently since the jib cars and blocks would be pretty easy (e.g. Hobie 18, 21 etc:

[URL] https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamaran-parts-for-sale/p16804-jib-blocks.html [URL]

You can get extra track from either Murrays (18") or Viadana USA (18" or 36").

Mainsheet I'd use would AT LEAST be 8:1 blocks:
    [URL] https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamaran-parts-for-sale/p17435-8-3a1-harken-blocks-with-40-27-7-2f16-mainsheet.html [URL]

The track and traveler will usually be a standard Harken traveler with a cut section of track, curved or not - on my 21 it's a separate piece from the rear beam - on others it's built-in so not useful.

Disclaimer - that's about all I have information on as I don't know the other brands very well - VERY probable there are many other options out there, which you could find looking through the Photo Albums on this site. I also have zero experience with the user of the links I posted above, though the prices seem pretty fair, absent any pictures etc.

That's about all I got!

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • P.S. - cool boat

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • charlescarlisP.S. - cool boat

+1
    Charlie, go back & edit the links in your your last post. It appears your browser added a “space” right after the 2nd bracket in [URL]
    If I’m using an iPad, it does that every time I paste the URL into the brackets. Then the link doesn’t work. Before I SUBMIT, I have to place the cursor in the link, & delete that space…then the link is live when you post. It only happens on this iPad, no matter what browser, not sure if it’s an Apple thing.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Hi kson,

The Discovery seems to be a really nice boat with a lousy mainsheet system. I am currently building a 19´x15.3´ tri from two Nacra cats(5.5 and 5.8) and I have built new beams from alu tubing.

About the main sheet track almost all beachcats has an integrated track in the main beam, so no luck there. Better buy a new, they are not to expensive. I have used a low 22mm Harken track bolted to the beam and used the Harken traveler and 10:1 mainsheet blocks from the donor Nacra. I don´t know what sail area you have, but you should not go below 8:1 as Chuck says.

But I can´t see anything wrong with the jib track you have, which looks good enough, just go for 3:1 if you have a jib over 7-8 sqm, but on a beachcat 2:1 is used throughout.

To get 3:1, just take the single block from the jib and add it to the becket of the ratchet block on the track and add a single block with becket to the jib

I don´t know about what jib you are using, but self tacking as on the D21 could be an option , I am using a 5.4sqm Tornado jib with curved track. Seems like D21 uses a straight track though.

Edited by revintage on Dec 17, 2022 - 05:49 PM.

--
    Brgds
    Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
    Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
    --
  • Hi kson,
    Your main looks really crappy, this might be the first item you should invest in. Measure the luff track and come back here to get advice on what beachcat main you should buy, surely a used one would be a great improvement.

--
    Brgds
    Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
    Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
    --
  • On the main, look at cutting the bolt rope loose and tighten the battens. That will help with the cosmetics and be a bit more efficient as well. For the jib, you can go with a pull pin car style system like beach cats, go with a ball bearing system to adjust on the fly, or you can install a clew board that has multiple adjustment holes. I have one of these on my racing main and works pretty well.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.