Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

First beachcat for solo sailing.  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• Looking for my first sailboat. I have very little sailing experience with a recreational Sunfish - ultra simple rig, not the race version.

I want a beachcat to start with. I have Hobie Wave, Topaz 14C, and RS Cat 14 in my mind. I am 150lb.

I wish to be able to sail a Hobie 16, but I don't think I can sail it singlehanded at this stage.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Edited by sun on Nov 23, 2022 - 11:15 PM.
  • The first question is, why do you want to sail a Hobie 16?

The Hobie 16 can be sailed solo'd, just dont go out in conditions that a newbie shouldn't be going out in. One advantage of the H16, is the popularity and availability.

I don't see the point in getting a simpler boat than the H16 and then upgrading later, the H16 isnt a bad boat to start with.

Find a local club that has a beach cat fleet and have a chat, I'm sure their will be opportunities to crew etc they also generally go out together and with a support vessel.

Edited by johnoau on Nov 24, 2022 - 05:12 PM.

--
    1335 XTSea Nacra 5.8 NA
    605 Nacra 4.5
    Cleveland Yacht Club
    Brisbane, AU
    --
  • H16 as a first? Certainly many have, successfully. Heck, I started with a H21, about as far from a starter boat as you can get, but I had/have help. It's too big for many beginner mistakes, but none of the boats you're considering are very tolerant to beginner abuse. What you will find is that if you start simple/slow you'll likely get bored wanting more performance pretty quick. It's that much fun, even if you're not competing.

I'd get a boat with a jib, to make tacking easier and a little more performance. Find out where folks are sailing and get some initial help, especially on-water coaching.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Thanks guys. I am a little worried of rightning the Hobie 16. I'll possibly need to start at calmer weather and buy a cat righting bag. I saw a couple of 16s that were simplified for rental use. Both had bulb floaters on the top of their masts. I assume I can benefit from those floaters too.
  • If you're sailing primarily solo, I'd be considering a H14 Turbo, Nacra 4.5/450, or similar, a little bit easier to manage on your own, but it all depends on why you want to the H16.

--
    1335 XTSea Nacra 5.8 NA
    605 Nacra 4.5
    Cleveland Yacht Club
    Brisbane, AU
    --
  • johnoauIf you're sailing primarily solo, I'd be considering a H14 Turbo, Nacra 4.5/450, or similar, a little bit easier to manage on your own, but it all depends on why you want to the H16.

H14 Turbo had always been top on my list. The problem is I haven't come across a well maintained one - yet. H16 is still in production, plenty out there. I will check out Nacra 4.5 / 150. I was also considering 160 and 500, but I will go with an H16 if it comes to that. I would take an H14 Turbo over an H16 anyday.
  • charlescarlisnone of the boats you're considering are very tolerant to beginner abuse.

I thought Wave was very tolerant to beginner abuse. But yeah I would rather have H14/16 instead - if I can handle.

Edited by sun on Nov 25, 2022 - 02:24 AM.
  • Hobie WAVE. Learn to sail then look for a cat with more horsepower.

--
    Master UniRig Sailor
    --
  • Check out this vide. Lot's of helpful info.
    How to choose a beginner catamaran

My first catamaran was through a membership in a local sailing center with Hobie Waves. I've been a member there for over 20 years. A Wave can keep you happy for a long time!

Edited by danielt1263 on Nov 25, 2022 - 02:11 PM.
  • sun
    charlescarlisnone of the boats you're considering are very tolerant to beginner abuse.

I thought Wave was very tolerant to beginner abuse. But yeah I would rather have H14/16 instead - if I can handle.Edited by sun on Nov 25, 2022 - 02:24 AM.

Charlie was wrong. The Wave is a very tough boat, a main reason why you see so many of them at resorts, where they get abused in every possible way.

Edited by Edchris177 on Nov 26, 2022 - 05:48 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Yeah, I wrote that wrong... I meant that ALL THE BOATS he was considering are tolerant to abuse-good choices, but I still wouldn't get a wave because of no jib...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Wave seems to be a fun one to learn on. Though, just the tiller and one line to deal with, I won't gain experience with cunningham, traveller, and outhaul system.
  • I'll confess...I've sailed Wave's quite a few times... (kind of like riding a moped;they're fun, but you're too embarrassed to tell your friends your riding one). There's also a big one design racing group, so you do have that in the future. You really can't go wrong with your choices, but be prepared to buy another, eventually. The Wave's do have a good resell ability as well, due to name recognition, etc.

No matter which way you go, it's fun and you'll love it.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • charlescarlisYeah, I wrote that wrong... I meant that ALL THE BOATS he was considering are tolerant to abuse-good choices, but I still wouldn't get a wave because of no jib...

I agree with all that.
    If you are reasonably athletic, I would skip the Wave. Get a righting bag, sail in moderate conditions til you get more comfortable.
    The Nacra 4.5 would be great. Not sure where you are, but Mystere also made a similar sized Cat. There was a good fleet of them in the central Midwest.
    They might not be common, but a Dart 15 would be ideal. I keep one for high wind, (20+), days. They’re still being made, (England), parts are available. Easily rigged & righted.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=128351

As Charlie said above, grab one & sail it. I wouldn’t get hung up on a particular model, buy the one in the BEST condition. Few things are as expensive as a free boat. Starting out, with little experience, especially if you have reefs and/or shallows, a boom less, boardless setup would be ideal. My 1st Cat was a Nacra 5.7, it’s still the boat I would keep if I could only have one Cat, though it’s not ideal if you want to race one design, as there are not fleet sizes of say an H16, or H18.

Edited by Edchris177 on Nov 26, 2022 - 06:20 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • sunThanks guys. I am a little worried of rightning the Hobie 16. I'll possibly need to start at calmer weather and buy a cat righting bag. I saw a couple of 16s that were simplified for rental use. Both had bulb floaters on the top of their masts. I assume I can benefit from those floaters too.

I’m a little less than your weight and you should absolutely ensure you can right any boat you’re considering before you buy it. While there’s lots of traffic in St Joesphs sound, you can easily be a half mile offshore and several miles from your launch point. I would never sail a boat that I wasn’t sure exactly how I’d right.

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • Thanks again, everyone. I've watched some YT videos, and I think I cannot right an H16 solo - at least, at this stage. H16 will be my future goal.
    A boomless cat set up would be better. Skeg hull would be a good idea too as advised.
    Wave comes with one line to handle out of factory. I hope the new Waves don't need any drilling to install a jib, in case I want to upgrade at some point.Topaz 14c might be a better option though, same weight with Wave but more sail area.
    To be honest, I cannot decide. I think this calls for a vacation to a venue, where I can rent Waves, 16s, and such.

Edited by sun on Nov 28, 2022 - 01:21 AM.
  • johnoau... but it all depends on why you want to the H16.

Speed. I wanna smoke all the Lasers! :)

Edited by sun on Nov 28, 2022 - 10:37 AM.
  • There is a Taipan 4.9 for sale on this site. Start out Uni rigged and work up to all three sails. Don't let the boards scare you.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • dssaakThere is a Taipan 4.9 for sale on this site. Start out Uni rigged and work up to all three sails. Don't let the boards scare you.

I had a Taipan 4.9 (rigged as an F-16 and sailed uni.) I'm 150 lbs. Every sail was a nail biting adventure and it was almost impossible for me to right. This severely limited my sailing time. I don't recommend it as a first boat.
  • Many years ago, I started on a Hobie 14 weighing a bit less than 150lbs. I wouldn't say every sail was a nail biting adventure but it sure was exciting. It was exciting mainly because I had never sailed before. But I read the manual that came with it, got out on the water as much as I could and it wasn't long before I wasn't flipping it everytime I went out. If I had known other cat sailors, I am sure it wouldn't have taken as long.

Funny thing is, many years later I was still flippng my cats albeit less frequently. Not because I didn't know how to sail but because I enjoyed sailing at that ragged edge. At my age, those days are over now but it was fun then. My point is, don't let any boat scare you (well may be a couple of the bigger boats) if you have the right mindset (and carrying a water bag to add extra weight when righting the boat).

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.