Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Anyone know what manufacturer's used to fill rudders with?  Bottom

• Besides using a pre-made EPS foam "cookie", does anyone know what manufacturer's used to fill the inside voids of rudders? Was it simple resin and micro-balloons? I thought I remember a lightweight product for the purpose, but it escapes me at the moment.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • All depends on how the rudders were made, but I would not expect a significant quantity of microballoons. More likely a two-part expanding structural foam.
  • That's kind of what I was thinking on a two part mold, and from pictures I've seen, they looked to be filled with urethane expanding foam - maybe in the 5-8 lb weight. However I know I've seen a lightweight epoxy or vinylester resin that is made for purpose and doesn't exotherm nor expand as much, making cavity filling more precise (though you'd have to look for bubbles). Just can't find that product and I remember it as being white(ish). Cutting cookies to fit perfectly does not seem like a very good production method. Just worried about that 2-part foam expanding so much it ruins the part, even with a vent hole in place somewhere.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I've made some rudders from a production mold from a manufacturer. You made each half, then decked them flat with a router on a sled, then bonded them together. That way there is no gap filling so long as you did the previous steps correctly.
  • Never thought of using a router sled to flatten and trim the parts-cool idea. I've always cut them down while the product was still green, if doing this by hand.

Still, you have a hollow structure you have to fill to keep compression strength up and keep water out...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.