Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beach cat sailing in the San Francisco Bay?  Bottom

• Well the subject line really says it all, what I'm trying to figure out is if it's possible/ sane to single hand a beach cat in the San Francisco Bay.

I'm an experienced mono-hull sailor (both racing and cruising), but no one in the Bay Area seems to own a small beach cat (except for the sketchy home built job in the corner of my Marina). Is this for good reason? My primary concerns are this:

Is 25kt wind + 3 foot wind chop too much for a single handed beach cat?

Will I be able to right the Catamaran when I flip it? I'm 175 pounds.

And where do I store the six packs?

The reason I'm so interested in getting in to beach cats is that it's always been my dream to sail one from Florida to the Virgin Islands, via Cuba, Puerto Rico, and all the other awesome countries in the area. Is this as dumb, or dumber then sailing one in the Bay Area?

Thanks for your help!
  • I'm a little familiar with the SF Bay. Figure your weight plus a wetsuit because you will be wet. I've sailed Hobies since 1970 on 16's then 18's plus being a dealer for 8 years. I just got back in with a Hobie Wave. Granted it isn't a hot rod performance boat but it does sail well and you could right it in the blink of an eye. I've was caught by surprise the first two capsizes (prior to switching to Harken main blocks) at how quick and easy it is to right. I suspect anything over 110lb is plenty.
    Ken
  • I'm familiar with the Hobie Wave, and I agree that could be a fun boat that is easy to right. But I'm really looking for something with the highest speed possible for a single hander in high wind conditions. Is it possible to reef down on cats like the Hobie 16/18 or Prindle 16/18, and could I right these by myself?

• Hi,

Couldn't help but respond to your post as I followed an identical shift about 5 years ago. I've been racing OD keelboats (J's, Melges etc.) for 35 years I had an 11 Metre out of St. Francis for a few years so I know the Bay fairly well.

I jumped on a Hobie 18 for the first real cat sail while I lived in San Fran and was completely blown away by the performance. Most of my cat sailing back then was done in other areas like Tomales Bay but I did manage to get a few wild rides on SF Bay close to the city with one guy who's name I forget but I can tell you that sailing in the Bay is really tricky. There were times that were ugly to get around, especially when the wind was cooking in from under the GG and the tide was on its way out. The waves were short and deep which makes it pretty perilous if you dig in your bow at speed. I'd suggest staying out of that area by Alcatraz and head further north up by Tibouron as you're out of the heavy stuff. On the other hand...depending on the day and your comfort level, that may just be where the real fun is.

Good luck!!

David
    Hobie 21 "Urban Legend"

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.