Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Help, Hulls Splitting on Nacra 5.7  Bottom

• Both Hulls have developed cracks running from the bow 3/4 ot the way to the tramp. One has a crack on the bottom and the top. The other just the bottom. Anyone seen this problem before? Suggestions welcome!!! Thanks, Floyd
  • This doesn't sound good, this is a high stress area. Take the boat to a qualified fiberglass guy for a look. Most fiberglass problems can be fixed, but if the hull explodes it won't be worth it.

Take pictures and report back!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I agree with damon,

I have seen this before on Hobie 16s and one Hobie 18. The sailor took out the Hobie 18 and while on a beam reach the leeward hull separated into two pieces. It is a very high stress area and cracks that length could spell disaster. It also depends on the width and depth of the cracks in the hulls. If its spider-cracking you don't have as much to worry about, but definitely take it to a trusted fiberglass shop and see how much it will cost to fix...it might not be worth the cost to fix.
  • Just completed filling and fairing a 6 ft crack in my H -18. Be glad to share process and pics...
  • That would be great, could you create a new album in the "Beachcats Technical" section and upload your pics there?

You can upload the pics first, then use the "edit captions" feature to add descriptions to each pic.

Contact me if you need help.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.