Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra Rudder All Internal Bungee Mod???  Bottom

• The bungee on my stick mid 80 Nacra got scuffed by the casting and broke through the cover. Rather than run the bungee from rudder to end of tiller arm, has anyone used a length of small diameter line or stsinless cable from the rudder into tje tiller arm tibe, so there is no shock cord exposed? Seems like it ought to work, even giving up a bit of eladtic cotd length. Thanks.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Interesting thought John. Two questions come to mind…
    1) Are you using a section of 1” tubing on the bungee between the end of the tiller tube and the rudder?
    2) If you used hard cable at the rudder it seems you’d add wear to the top of the rudder where the bungee rides when the rudder is in the down position.
  • I have not used a tube over the bungees. Good idea.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I wouldn’t bother. Using SS cable will quickly wear the rudder blade, you would need some sort of bushing in the blade.
    If you wear bungee cover,you’ll wear line.
    The 1” of tubing carbonc mentions is not to prevent bungee chafe, it serves to stop the rudder from banging against the end of the tiller tube- you can see the damage to my blade in one of the photos.
    I solved this problem years ago, with very little effort, & zero cost. Here’s a couple photos from my N5.7 album. Tap the photo after opening the link to get the full size photo. I can’t figure out how to directly insert the photo from an iPad…there is no right click-“copy link location”
    https://www.thebeachcats.…d5da9872faca9d74eccb7cba
    https://www.thebeachcats.…00efffe85580c8adee485a14

Edited by Edchris177 on Mar 21, 2022 - 05:19 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks. Mine has the same notch cut in from up position contact. West time.

I may add a roller for the pull down line pivot

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • What size and material tube works best? I will prob run 5/16 bungee

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • My rudder is still using the original cushion/tube. It's a little larger in diameter than the tiller arm, but not a precision part.

https://i.imgur.com/YkboT5Dh.jpg

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Go to your local Home Depot, Harbour Freight, or any place that has tubing, & ask for 3”. I used a clear Tube with nylon reinforcement, about the diameter of the tiller tube.
    A scrap from any 1” water hose will work.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.