Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Before I seal my hulls for good . . . *A Checklist*  Bottom

• Hey Everyone,

I have been restoring a Mystere 6.0 (https://www.thebeachcats.com/forums/viewtopic/topic/18672)

I have have the hull lids, I have sanded down all contact areas and before I reglued these lids down I wanted to make sure I haven't missed anything.

1) Check rigging hardware isn't rusted and is securely attached to the hull
    2) Ensure there are no cracks or holes on the inside of the hull
    3) Reenforce where the bulkheads attached to the hull
    4) Inspect centerboard housing and check for holes, cracks, etc.. Reenforce/patch where needed
    5) Check for thin spots on the bottom of the hull where it may have been dragged or damaged

Have I missed anything? The last thing I want is to seal up the hulls and block myself from check or fixing something else
  • Maybe epoxy clear coat a $10 bill to the hull for the next guy who goes is there? icon_biggrin

Edited by traphappy on Feb 21, 2022 - 12:42 PM.
  • Does it have a track for the tramp? Check those rivets?
  • jgregsHey Everyone,

I have been restoring a Mystere 6.0 (https://www.thebeachcats.com/forums/viewtopic/topic/18672)

I have have the hull lids, I have sanded down all contact areas and before I reglued these lids down I wanted to make sure I haven't missed anything.

1) Check rigging hardware isn't rusted and is securely attached to the hull
    2) Ensure there are no cracks or holes on the inside of the hull
    3) Reenforce where the bulkheads attached to the hull
    4) Inspect centerboard housing and check for holes, cracks, etc.. Reenforce/patch where needed
    5) Check for thin spots on the bottom of the hull where it may have been dragged or damaged

Have I missed anything? The last thing I want is to seal up the hulls and block myself from check or fixing something else

When you refer to rigging hardware, are you referring to side stay chain plates? I am not familiar with how the Mystere chain plates are installed, but I would try to look on the inside where the chain plate enters the deck. If water had seeped from the top and sat in between the stainless chain plate and the fiberglass, it could rust and deteriorate this point. With bigger boats, this is very common failure point.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • @texastuma - yes, chain plate stay thank you. I couldn't remember what they were called. I looked those over pretty well and there isn't any visible rust on anywhere. I am going to add some extra sealant for good measure but those look solid.
  • jgregs@texastuma - yes, chain plate stay thank you. I couldn't remember what they were called. I looked those over pretty well and there isn't any visible rust on anywhere. I am going to add some extra sealant for good measure but those look solid.

Stainless can fail without showing rust. Look at the holes the pins go through, if they're elongated replace them.
    Look for cracks or any deformity. Just replace them anyway, they're cheap.

The Bore

--
    Dart 20
    --
  • I appreciate all the advice. I checked everything mentioned and then some and have glued the panel down as of this afternoon. Fingers crossed I hope I did everything right
  • jgregsI appreciate all the advice. I checked everything mentioned and then some and have glued the panel down as of this afternoon. Fingers crossed I hope I did everything right

Excellent.. I've gone through that on a Prindle 19 twice.. different hulls. Now to get on the water..

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • QuoteStainless can fail without showing rust. Look at the holes the pins go through, if they're elongated replace them.
    Look for cracks or any deformity. Just replace them anyway, they're cheap.

i agree if you inspect (use a magnifying glass) and find cracks, it is time to replace but
    this is pretty serious surgury, even after the boat is opened up
    the bow tangs are glassed in and would need to be hammered out to replace
    the sidestay tangs have 3 bolts that are probably fused by now and also glassed in -

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.