Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beachcats in Jaws 2  Bottom

• Just saw part of Jaws 2 and had forgotten all the beachcats, some pretty rare models too. It seemed like every kid had a different brand.

I'll need to get a copy and play it back, but I saw

Hobie 14/16
    Sizzler
    Gcat?

Anyone have the movie to make a list? Also, how each brand held up to shark attack could be useful information. icon_biggrin

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I sailed on most of the boats for the movie as an instructor... The green machine was a tornado(2) and the sizzler was purchased from my friend for the movie..the tornado's were brought in from california..there were 2... one was totally destroyed during filming and me and my father were to purchase the other one..but they sent it back to cali to be auctioned off..I had 2 tornado's at that time US70 and US256
    damonAdminJust saw part of Jaws 2 and had forgotten all the beachcats, some pretty rare models too. It seemed like every kid had a different brand.

I'll need to get a copy and play it back, but I saw

Hobie 14/16
    Sizzler
    Gcat?

Anyone have the movie to make a list? Also, how each brand held up to shark attack could be useful information. icon_biggrin

• Where where the sailing scenes filmed?
  • Ft. Walton Bch Fl (Choctawhatchee Bay)
  • Gee, I just joined and wonder if they had a Snark in the film. It's got to be the funniest cat out there.
  • you would think the sizzler with the aluminum hulls would be a little harder to chew through but this is jaws were talking about here! he tore the stern off of that fishing boat, got his head nearly blown off, and still managed to nearly eat dennise quade two sequals later(in 3-d!). so yeah, your cat was the one the kids didn't get eaten on, thats a ringing endorsement..."THE 1977 SIZZLER, JAWS COULDN'T EAT IT!".

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • A friend from college was in the sailing scenes. She told me it was freezing.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Wow, famous people on the forum!! That is an imortal piece of pop culture! I gotta watch that again, I thought some of the boats were home built at the time. At least Jaws 2 was still a decent film.

Did anyone catch Jaws 3D? (didn't think so) Definitely no Avatar, the only thing I got out of that film was that apparently not only are Great Whites vindictive, they can also travel faster than a 747!!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • About 20 years ago, my sailmaker told me a guy had 2 Tornados for sale in El Segundo, Ca. They were leaning against the side of a big A trailer. Squirrels had eaten the red sails and he said he worked in the movie industry where these were used in Jaws. I didn't have the money at the time as it was Spring & my windsurf store needed restocking, so I said here's three checks. When they clear in July, I'll pick them up. He said "take um tomorrow". So went over next day in my Jeep to collect the booms daggers & rudders. Son-in-law was baby-sitting a one year old on balcony above & said "you're not taking those boats!". As I continued loading, he came down, so I moved Jeep into the street, whereupon he started taking stuff out of my Jeep. So I wrestled the boom with him for a minute til he gave up. Next day I called the seller & said "we got a problem". He said no problem, son-in-law apologized profusely, come & get them. Guess he couldn't stand site of dream disappearing. They were Friedericksen's made in Denmark. I put honeycomb/carbon decks between hulls and moved the tramps forward. Makes great party boats. They've been to Michigan, down to La Paz, now back here. Pete
  • That was funny, a two year old thread comes back to life!

Cool story pete.

Tom and Pete, please fill out your Profiles, bet you have some interesting stuff to put in there.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I am an old river rat whose first job was on a converted Ohio River steam towboat into a restaurant with a boss whose parents were slaves. I went on to become a rigger on a river salvage operation. My father introduced the family to houseboats and we navigated up and down the Ohio at least three times. I later helped him sail his Morgan 36' from Miami Lake Erie. Years later while living for twenty years in NYC I sailed out of East Hampton culminating with helping the captain I sailed with sail his refurbished 1980 Pearson 36' to Baltimore Ireland in June 2009. Now I must always have a sailboat but being a portrait painter find monies slim. I was able to get a free 1968 Snark by Triumph and am now getting it ready to sail on the Ohio River in Cincinnati Harbor. I think I will be able to turn it into a rowboat/sailboat and put a long tail prop on it powered by a 3hp B&S.
    I?m watching Jaws 2 now looking to see if there is a Snark in it. I have an image of it on my site:
    http://tomlohre.com/sailing.htm

Thanks for a great site.
  • Interesting stories Tom and nice website. I liked the Bahamahome painting. must have been a heck of a sail across the North Atlantic.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Holy, didn't even notice the thread was 2 years old. Awesome!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
    Did anyone catch Jaws

yes we caught Jaws in 1986 3427 lbs with rod and reel , I used to fish with the captain that benchley modeled capt quint after, capt. Frank Mundus, he passed last year after returning from Montauk to Hawai, so it is pretty safe to boat out in the big ocean except for the one that weighed about 5000 lbs, that we saw and didnt catch...
    will have to download some pictures.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Haha, i just watched jaw's.

I didnt notice the cat's until NOW...

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • tom10772one was totally destroyed during filming

How did that happen?

• Wow, I was just searching about what cats were used in Jaws 2 and found this old thread. Pretty cool. We lived in Destin, Fl, 607 Gulfshore Drive, Holiday Isle, back then and saw a lot of filming for the movie there in the harbor and at the point at the end of Gulfshore Drive, lighthouse and house shot from a distance across the water, those were at the point. I remember driving through Ft Walton Beach and seeing a semi truck like a car hauler hauling all of those beachcats and other boats. The one with the flames had a big bite taken out of it. I always thought that boat was cool looking with those flames on it. Wow, great memories.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.