Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Winterizing  Bottom

• One of the cats will be outside, with a good cover. Would it make sense to put some antifreeze in the hall so the Scaggs don't freeze if any water gets in there?

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I have never added antifreeze to the Nacra 5.7 hulls. Even if water is present and freezes, there is a lot of expansion space upwards. Anyway, never had a problem with it, and had not thought about it until now.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • That would have been my answer too (the part about expanding upwards), but there's the possibility that water can penetrate downward into cracks in the skeg/hull and do its evil where it has less opportunity to expand upwards. Never heard anyone discuss it previously, though.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • You didn’t say which cat. I’m assuming,(from the skeg remark), you’re referring to the N5.7
    You need to “tip” the boat in order to get the antifreeze at the low point of the hull.
    If you do this, be sure to buy RV non toxic liquid, it’s not cool to pour the stuff into the drain or waterway next spring.
    Personally, I’d tip your boat way up, drain the hulls, & fu-ged-a-bout-it
    I’ve never put anything in either the N5.0 or the N5.7, & we get cold winters in Canada. Never had, or seen a problem.
    PM Dave, he has 5.7, in Winnipeg,(Winterpeg), it’s cold enough to freeze the nuts off a steel bridge there, he doesn’t do anything.

Edited by Edchris177 on Nov 10, 2021 - 08:44 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177
    PM Dave, he has 5.7, in Winnipeg,(Winterpeg), it’s cold enough to freeze the nuts off a steel bridge there...

Heh. Sho'nuff it is. The shot in my avatar is from a good day on Lake Winnipeg, sailing out of the Victoria Beach club.

Edited by jonathan162 on Nov 11, 2021 - 12:42 PM.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.