Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H16 trampoline double grommeted  Bottom

• Completely replaced all old factory grommets on all three tramp pieces. Added new ones to double grommet
    center of tramp. Also installed one each on the forward outboard corners. (About 110 nickel plated brass #4 grommets total. “Fun job”) My question is... what is the length of the lacing I will need now for the center. I can measure the rear ones. I will be getting all new line. Suggestions on line material/type is welcome. Thanks, Jim
  • No replies yet, but I've got to ask - what is double grommeting?

I went with the lengths at Murrays.com and I think I used 1/4" braided line from Cajun rope.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • Double grommeting involves installing additional grommets for the trampoline lacings. Essentially, you add an extra grommet between each of the existing grommets along the center lacing of the tramp. This allows you to pull the tramp tighter and also help spread out the lacing load so there is less risk of pulling out a grommet. It is something that is generally only done on Hobie 14’s and 16’s where you want a very tight trampoline to help keep the frame rigid. You will end up using about twice as much lacing line as you would use on a standard tramp.

sm
  • I don't know if it's common, but I liked using "Dyneema" single braid. Not because of strength, but because it's particularly slippery and pulls through multiple grommets easier. Seems to hold tension pretty good also. Just tried it because I got a deal on some red colored. Happy with it, except - don't buy red; it lasts about 2 weeks before it fades to pink for some reason.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Dog boy:
    Good explanation of double grommeting.

Charlescsrlis:
    Thanks. Will look into Dyneema.
  • I would use 3/16" or 1/8". They bend around the grommets better than the standard 1/4". They are plenty strong, the limiting factor is how you are going to tension them. Smaller line is harder on your hands. Garden gloves or one of those clam cleat things that windsurfers use to tension their lines. Dyneema is slippery but pricey for the amount you're going to need. At least try it out with cheapish hardware store line for the first year or so. Then you'll know how long to get the expensive stuff.

Another "double lacing" technique is to lace your trampoline. Then put in another line and tension that one. Now the first one will be soft. Tension it again. After the boat sits in the sun for a bit it will want this repeated.

Tight tramps make fast boats.

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.