Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

capsize water in the hull  Bottom

• If you have 10 gallons of water in one of the hulls and the other is dry
    will it cause the boat to capsize more easily?
  • That's a lot of water. Very hard on the boat, because it's not designed to have a hundred pound load inside the hull.. It'll be much easier to capsize, depending on the boat and what percentage of that hull's buoyancy you're displacing.

Edited by jonathan162 on Sep 10, 2021 - 09:04 PM.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • With 10 gallons (80 lbs) it may be hard or impossible to right if you do capsize. That was our experience when we pitchpoled the Hobie 16 and failed the hull. The busted hull was too heavy to flip over the top, and when we stood on the busted hull it would sink.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • well will it right more easily if one capsizes on the dry hull?
  • You mean if the hull full of water is the one up in the air? The point is that that's less likely, as it's the heavy hull that's going to be depressed in the water, so you're more likely to fall over toward it with the empty hull in the air. But I don't think I get why you're asking.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • This is not worthy of discussion. Find the leak and fix it and don't sail this boat till you do.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • shortyfox Find the leak and fix it and don't sail this boat till you do.

I agree with this statement.

Our last time out we had the bondo failure and there could have been 10 gallons in the hull. That side kept sinking the stern if we weren't forward. It sailed like crap. I'm currently replacing that hull.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • If you go on your side with the "wet" hull up in the air, you won't have much time before the boat will want to turtle. I have never really read someone actually stating just how much flotaion the mast alone has. If you go over with the wet hull down, it probably will sink a bit during the righting. But,,,, if you drained the hulls before launch and now have 10 gallons in there, you have a problem and are likely going to have more than 10gallons, very soon.

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.