Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H18 vs 570 vs 580  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hello everyone, I'm new here and have a few questions about cats. I have read a lot of the older posts but would appreciate any additional comments on these or other suitable cats.

I currently have a 1985 Hobie 18 in fairly good shape but I would like to upgrade to a more modern design.
    I'm looking for:
    1. More volume since a like to bring 1 or 2, about 530lbs max.
    2. Uncluttered tramp
    3. Kick up or no daggers, I sail on a shallow lake.
    4. needs to be fast or at least feel fast since I don't race anyone.

So I think the 570 is what I want but I would like to make sure it will provide similar performance and more importantly similar thrills to a H18. I love to sail in heavy conditions, on the edge of control. Also, I'm assuming the light wind performance would be better compared to a H18?

The 580 would also be good but sounds like more boat than I need since I single hand sometimes. The cat will be pulled up on the beach when not in use and the H18 is heavy enough.

I have owned:
    H16-not enough buoyancy but super fun with light crew
    Wave-good for kids but not exciting enough for me
    H18- great boat, hate the dagger boards and location of the jib cleats
  • Welcome to TheBeachcats.com saskh18!

It sounds like you've considered the issues pretty well. I'm a Hobie 18 fan but agree the daggerboards and jib traveler can be a pain.

That said, adding wings to the H18 makes it a unique people hauler, more room than practically anything else. Something to consider since you already have the boat.

Do you have the upgraded (post 1987) rudder system with the plastic cams? If not, that is a huge upgrade especially in a shallow lake. That improved system is one of the best kick-up systems around.

The 570 is a nice boat, a newer design, and no daggerboards. If you get a later model or new one you can get the 570 Sport which has a factory spinnaker system, which would definitely add some excitement and learning curve.

What part of the world is your shallow lake? How big is it? You might find some other local sailors here you didn't know about.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • 570 or Mystere 5.5
    can add a spin for real downwind fun

Edited by MN3 on Aug 25, 2021 - 05:06 PM.
  • saskh18: Just PMed you as it's possible I'll be in your neighborhood this weekend.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • QuoteI currently have a 1985 Hobie 18 in fairly good shape but I would like to upgrade to a more modern design.
    I'm looking for:
    1. More volume since a like to bring 1 or 2, about 530lbs max.
    2. Uncluttered tramp

Higher hull volume definitely becomes an issue in catamarans made after the end of the Hobie 18 production run. I have have had 4 adults (plus cooler) on a Hobie 18 and it still sailed decently. I cant think of a modern hull design of the same length that will carry as much weight as your Hobie 18. Dont underestimate the impact of adding wings. You can trap out farther and it is instantly more comfortable.

If you want more performance I think adding wings and a spinnaker kit to your H18 is a better bang for your buck than a more modern boat which will come with a new set of constraints like weight capacity, rigging complexity, and trailerability due to width.

Just some thoughts. Please keep us posted on what you decide.

Thanks,
    Brad in Jacksonville
    2x Stiletto 27, one for sale soon.
  • Sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind on the 570. It's the only boardless cat 18ft or bigger that is still in production. I believe it's a little faster than a H18, has more hull volume and speaking from experience is easier to set up than the Hobie. If I were a young man I'd buy a new one tomorrow. Used ones aren't to common and that's the big disadvantage when compared with the Hobie. All three of these are fast and speed difference won't be noticeable unless you're sailing alongside other boats. The faster 5.8 with it's high aspect ratio dagger boards will be a little more close winded of course but who cares? The Hobie's boards aren't as deep and are raked back a little so you're less likely to do a lot of damage when you're going fast and not paying attention. Don't get the idea that the Nacra 5.7 and 570 have a lot in common. Other than being the same size, the only similarities are the hull shape below the waterline. The 570 has a much improved rudder system and I also like it better than Hobie's. Don't know if you can put wings on a 570 but it seems like I remember you can on a 5.7.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • DamonLinkousWelcome to TheBeachcats.com saskh18!

It sounds like you've considered the issues pretty well. I'm a Hobie 18 fan but agree the daggerboards and jib traveler can be a pain.

That said, adding wings to the H18 makes it a unique people hauler, more room than practically anything else. Something to consider since you already have the boat.

Do you have the upgraded (post 1987) rudder system with the plastic cams? If not, that is a huge upgrade especially in a shallow lake. That improved system is one of the best kick-up systems around.

The 570 is a nice boat, a newer design, and no daggerboards. If you get a later model or new one you can get the 570 Sport which has a factory spinnaker system, which would definitely add some excitement and learning curve.

What part of the world is your shallow lake? How big is it? You might find some other local sailors here you didn't know about.

I'm located in Saskatchewan Canada, lake is maybe 12' deep, 10miles long.

I don't have the new rudders and actually broke one last week when it locked back down by accident. Can the wings be attached to any H18, even a 1985 Coleman? I'll look into the rudders and the wings. Thanks!
  • QuoteI cant think of a modern hull design of the same length that will carry as much weight as your Hobie 18.

mystere 5.5
  • Quote1. More volume since a like to bring 1 or 2, about 530lbs max.
    2. Uncluttered tramp

Mystere 5.5 - not sure about Saskatchewan but lots of mystere in canada (that's where they are made)
    Supercat 17
    dart 20 (need lots of wind)
    Nacra 5.7
  • MN3
    QuoteI cant think of a modern hull design of the same length that will carry as much weight as your Hobie 18.

mystere 5.5

So a H18 can carry more than a 570?
    From what I can tell the 570 hulls have way more volume than a H18.
  • saskh18I don't have the new rudders and actually broke one last week when it locked back down by accident. Can the wings be attached to any H18, even a 1985 Coleman? I'll look into the rudders and the wings. Thanks!

Your old rudder blades can be used with the updated rudder castings. The upgrade kit comes with a template for the new gudgeons.

Yes, either the older Magnum wings or the newer longer SX wings can be attached to any Hobie 18. A real Hobie 18 SX also came with an 18 inch taller mast and vertical cut mylar sails.

I've been sailing a H18 since 1991 and have had wings of both kinds for most of that time. I've also carried over 500 pounds many times since I'm half of that by myself.

With the wings you can easily sail with four onboard, sitting on the wings is comfortable and it's easy to carry non-sailors. Years ago I launched through the surf with my parents, Mom on one wing and Dad on the other, they never had to move when tacking, just me.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • saskh18
    MN3
    QuoteI cant think of a modern hull design of the same length that will carry as much weight as your Hobie 18.

mystere 5.5

So a H18 can carry more than a 570?
    From what I can tell the 570 hulls have way more volume than a H18.

NACRA 570s are another 1980s boat with similar hull volume to a H18. Cats became more performance oriented in later generations with lower volume (more efficient) hulls, more complex rigging and the start of mass manufacturing with composite materials.

I dont know much about Mystere Catamarans, sorry.
  • My 1989 H18 has wings, which I love. I'm 57 years old, 210 lbs., and routinely sail her with me and my family of 4, so 4 total on the boat.
    I sit on the hull at the stern, lean on the wing, and move back and forth as we tack. My forward passengers sit on the wings and never move. I trade places with the rear passenger, opposite of me, who sits on the hull or the wing, their preference.

The 4 of us weigh in at 720. The boat does fine in 10-15 MPH. I'd put another 50 lbs. on the boat and it would do fine, I'm sure, particularly in more wind.

--
    Tim Young
    Hobie 18' + other stuff that floats and goes.
    Kentucky
    --
  • Thanks for all the input!

I'm going to order the new post 1987 rudders and try to find some wings. The wings look like they may be hard to find, especially in western Canada. Nothing on Kijiji or Ebay. I'll keep my eyes open and hope to find some before next sailing season.

Stupid question. Has anyone pulled the dagger boards out and capped/plugged the holes off? The boat sails fine with the daggers in the up position. I don't race so up wind performance doesn't mean much to me. With the daggers down the boat almost sails into the wind too much. Yes I am new to sailing but I feel like the H18 with daggers up sails very similar to my old H16.
    I'm just looking for new ways to increase room and make beaching easier.

I'm still on the look for a 570/580.

Thanks.
  • Based on your OP the 580 will handle the weight maybe slightly better than the H18, and has more hull volume. It has centerboards but sails like crap with them up (experience). If you want to get away from the boards than go the skeg route.

Maybe staying with the H18 and find some wings is not a bad option.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Quote? The boat sails fine with the daggers in the up position. I don't race so up wind performance doesn't mean mu

you maybe able to sail it pretty well with the boards up but there are times this will not work well
    i.e. if you get into upper air limits or just heavy air ...

you will slide so much to the side you may not be able to make forward motion
    also will kill you if you ever get into strong currents

boards are an inconvenience to everyone yet they are still a part of EVERY race boat
    if they are that big a deal to you - you need a skeg boat
  • Quoteyou maybe able to sail it pretty well with the boards up but there are times this will not work well
    i.e. if you get into upper air limits or just heavy air ...

We got use to sailing my friends Supercat 20 without boards to the point we left them at home. Sailed out to a barrier island and camped. Woke up to wind in the mid 20's coming from the direction we wanted to go. She wouldn't do anything more than a reach. Sailed 20 miles the other direction to get to mainland to hitch hike back to our car. We take the boards now, or my boat that doesn't use boards.
  • QuoteSailed 20 miles the other direction to get to mainland to hitch hike back to our car.

YIKES

supercats are a pretty interesting design
    If i have it correctly the hulls are the same design on the 17, 19 and 20 (not sure about the others)
    the 17 does not have boards (unless there are versions i am unaware of) and the 19 and 20 do

I have sailed both the 17 and 19 in real wind - fun but WET ride
  • P.M.Based on your OP the 580 will handle the weight maybe slightly better than the H18, and has more hull volume. It has centerboards but sails like crap with them up (experience). If you want to get away from the boards than go the skeg route.

Do the swinging dagger boards on the 580 pop up, similar to the rudders?
  • saskh18
    P.M.Based on your OP the 580 will handle the weight maybe slightly better than the H18, and has more hull volume. It has centerboards but sails like crap with them up (experience). If you want to get away from the boards than go the skeg route.

Do the swinging dagger boards on the 580 pop up, similar to the rudders?

Yes, they are swinging kick up boards. A few comments on the 580. The 580 is NOT a 5.8. Beware of older legacy 5.8 cats wearing 580 stickers. Also, I "believe" that Nacra has discontinued the 580.

Notes: If you find a 580 you will know it's a 580 if it has swinging boards, or the D-shaped beams. Some were packaged as the "sport" which included the spin setup. There are a very limited number of these boats in existance.

I will add a picture shortly.

Edited by P.M. on Sep 01, 2021 - 09:29 AM.

--
    Philip
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.