Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Typical advice question  Bottom

• History: I used to have a semi clapped out h18 magnum. Honestly loved it but at the time I didn't have anyone to consistently go with and I was afraid it was going to require more money than I had available at the time. So I sold it. Had it for maybe 2 years. Used it on our lake a few dozen times.

Fast forward now. I have an amazing partner. We plan on buying a cruising cat or tri in 10-15 years. She wants to learn to sail now, This is amazing to me, and it has rekindled a flame in me. I still have a ton to learn myself but this is exciting.

I know my partner and she is going to get addicted to it. We do have 2 little ones who are with us half the time.

Our budget is going to be around 6k. I think my biggest question is, what is too much boat for a beginner. I loved my hobie 18. But I feel like I need to open up to other possibilities due to wanting to find as good condition as I can.

Almost forgot we plan on mainly sailing on lake, but trailering to the ocean when we have long weekends.

Hope I didn't leave anything out, doing this on phone and in a rush on break.

Sc

Long story short I think I just need to be told directly if a tiger or xxxxx is too much for us even if its in amazing condition. Lol

Edited by scgoobertn on Aug 18, 2021 - 06:30 PM.
  • An F18 or a recreational 18 ft cat is not too much for 2 adults, your experience with a H18 seems good enough to me.
  • If you plan to sail with the little ones I would recommend another H18 with wings or a getaway. An F18 will be cramped with all on board. If it will mostly be the 2 of you then you can find a nice F18 in your price range. You will have to learn to depower it until you get used to it, but I am all about recreational sailing on race boats. Others will disagree with me.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • I find my H18 is much more forgiving than the 16. I sail it quite conservatively solo. Usually, great sailing days are not great power boating days and vice=versa. I put a tennis ball attached to the top of the mast on a 2-3ft chord. If i go over, (VERY RARE), I flag down a power boater. I have them lift up on the chord, then, just hand over hand "Walk" the mast up towards my hulls. It comes up quick, and they feel good about helping. If I see them at one of the lakeside watering holes, a round of drinks is in order.

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --
  • delete

Edited by geepaks on Aug 19, 2021 - 11:42 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.