Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Just got a topcat 9’1” which is near impossible to find info on  Bottom

• I’m not sure if the rigging is correct (I’m new to sailing), it consists of only 2 pulleys, one at the end of the boom and the other at the aft of the boat. I’ve never seen any rig like this. Also, I don’t think I have the pulleys set up correctly.
    https://ibb.co/7vrF6t9
    https://ibb.co/sqWPmT0
  • Since the two photos are different, the "more right" one is the closeup. You just need to learn to tie a bowline on that becket on the bottom block rather than using an overhand knot, which won't hold.

Other than that, it looks like the block itself is trashed (there doesn't appear to be much left of the sheave), and although there's probably not a lot of force on this rig, you'd never catch anyone here trying to use one of those little fake keyring carabiners for anything.

Edited by jonathan162 on Aug 08, 2021 - 03:19 AM.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • agreed. you don't want your liness rubbing against themselves. ditto on the bowline knot. find some local who will go out with you and assess the boat in total. can that tramp be cinched up a bit? The first pic is the direction you want to go.

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --
  • On your “pulleys”, does the other side have little bent wires that hold the “axle” in the block?
    If so, you can remove those wires, slide the broken sheave out, & replace it.
    If they are riveted in, you need a new block.
    Where are you, I have several that would work, from my now dead Bomsbdier Invitations.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • At best, that mainsheet has a 2:1 advantage. Try tying the bitter-end of the sheet to that metal loop that goes over the block, then reeve to the upper block and back through the back of the lower block. That will avoid the friction that your current setup has.
    https://i.ibb.co/TtWTvQV/1-C569-E96-754-B-44-F7-8-E3-B-2-F01-D854-F69-B.jpg

That diaper you have for a trampoline is pretty hopeless without some mechanical advantage in the way it is secured. Please don't judge catamarans by what you experience on this unseaworthy mess of a boat. I really don't even know where to begin.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Reeving the main: What you're describing is the other picture he linked to.

And I wouldn't be too quick to judge this boat by the standards we normally apply to our own. Let's just try to give a brother a leg up, okay?

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • Yeah, cut him some slack, on this site we don’t care what Cat you sail.
    Remember, he’s just learning, & his Cat is only 1” 4” longer than an Opti dinghy.
    There was one of those 9’ Cats for sale here a few years ago. Excellent shape, only $200US.
    Looked like more fun than Sunfish.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I had a very humble start in sailing. My first few boats were foam monohulls. I still sail them and they are fun.
    Like tominpa said, tie the end of the sheet to the hoop on top, not on the bottom. I'm sure a 2:1 is plenty for this small sail. Also I would replace the carabiner clip with something that swivels. I would not hesitate to use a hardware store grade swivel. Actually, given the low loads that sail will generate, you could use a little pigtail of rope there. Tie a bowline around the bottom of the block, pull the rope through the loop on the crossbeam, and tie a stopper knot to attach it. That would let it swivel so you could pull the sheet in from either side.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • I started my sailing experiance capsized on a 10ft "Foam boat". Let's not forget the early experiances we had.

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --
  • waiex191Also I would replace the carabiner clip with something that swivels. I would not hesitate to use a hardware store grade swivel. Actually, given the low loads that sail will generate, you could use a little pigtail of rope there. Tie a bowline around the bottom of the block, pull the rope through the loop on the crossbeam, and tie a stopper knot to attach it. That would let it swivel so you could pull the sheet in from either side.

I'd be much quicker to recommend the bit of rope over any hardware-store-grade stuff that's going to rust. Or not be shiny.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.