• That is a lot of boat for $3k.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • agreed
  • Wow. That's a lot of boat, period. Just, wow.

I'm having a hard enough time holding down the 19, and my plan is to move to a 20 for the extra beam, but a 22 is so far beyond what anyone should try to hold down solo that I can't even think about this.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • Honestly, it's got me wondering whether it's actually supposed to be $30,000 . That mast alone has to be worth $10K.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • SC20’s are amazing solo boats until the wind picks up. Then even the 12’ beam can’t help you…… we used to fly a hull with 2 on the wire and 2 sitting on the hull. Never been on a 22, but any boat that is 1 or 2 evolutions after the SC20 must be a blast to sail. A shame more weren’t built.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • What do you mean? As far as we know, they're still in production:

https://www.aquarius-sail…amarans/arc22/index.html

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --
  • I meant it is a shame more have not been made. They are great boats, but a small customer base.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • smfinleyI meant it is a shame more have not been made. They are great boats, but a small customer base.

not too many people have that kinda cash for a carbon boat and carbon mast
    also not that many people can step a 38.5 mast without crapping themself (even with help)

I agree these are amazing rides
    I saw one of these suckers on my beach years ago (it is possible it was a 21 but it was BIG) and certainly bigger than a 19
    - they had like 10 people rig it and sail it off the beach (perhaps more like 8) - they hit the sandbar a few 100 feet off our beach and ripped the entire transom off one hull.... very short sailing day for them
  • [quote=MN3]
    smfinley
    also not that many people can step a 38.5 mast without crapping themself (even with help)

Can be done single handed.... just not something you want to do every time you go sailing

https://www.aquarius-sail.com/catamarans/gin_pole/index.html

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • i saw the boat (excluding sails and spin gear) was 415 lbs. WOW lighter than my 5.5
    so the mast must be pretty light for it's size - still daunting at 38.5'
  • We would winch the SC20 mast up with a gin pole. 33’ Aluminum, and large cross section. We also sometimes used 3 guys if it was on the beach when we put it up. When I put the mast up on my 21SE, also 33’ AL, I usually did it with 2 people. Yes 38’ mast would be daunting the raise, with or without a gin pole.

They are big, the 12’ beam doesn’t really jump out at you until parked next to an 8’ beam boat, or when you are sitting on one hull looking at the other.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I heard it went to someone in Idaho. Anybody here?

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • smfinleyWe would winch the SC20 mast up with a gin pole. 33’ Aluminum, and large cross section. We also sometimes used 3 guys if it was on the beach when we put it up. When I put the mast up on my 21SE, also 33’ AL, I usually did it with 2 people. Yes 38’ mast would be daunting the raise, with or without a gin pole.

They are big, the 12’ beam doesn’t really jump out at you until parked next to an 8’ beam boat, or when you are sitting on one hull looking at the other.

Or looking down from the trapeze just before the capsize.
  • QuoteOr looking down from the trapeze just before the capsize.

Pretty exciting from up here too
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131396&g2_serialNumber=3
  • Or even worse right before you pitchpole from the harness. Pitchpoled the Supercat 20 with both the short rig and tall rig.https://scontent.fmia1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.18172-8/14753352_10210911379124167_3911162629362866767_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-4&_nc_sid=cdbe9c&_nc_ohc=gNGGT5vjBi4AX8EaHZm&_nc_ht=scontent.fmia1-1.fna&oh=ef9f4105889843d6ae21325c1a32034e&oe=6132352A

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • Quote Pitchpoled the Supercat 20 with both the short rig and tall rig.

Video please :)

My wildest Peter Pan was on my 6.0. I was trapping off the wings and the skipper (previous owner) sailed over a crab trap buoy at full speed. It snagged the spinnaker retrieval line under that tramp. We went from a screaming reach to a dead stop.

I flew forward on the trapwire and must have been 20' in the air.
    I was able to snag the jib/forestay and stop myself before i slammed into the mast when i came back down to earth.

good times

Edited by MN3 on Aug 06, 2021 - 08:23 AM.
  • Super cats are so forgiving, but we also pitchpoles a SC20 once. Hit a boat wake at full power on a reach and Peter panned out front. Remember watching the mast falling towards me until it fell to the side, then the boat accelerating away from us on its side. I am a big cat fan, also loved trapezing off my 21SE wings which is similar beam to the SC20 once on the wing. But the big hull surface of the SC20 makes for a much nicer trapeze platform than the wings. Now back to a H18 for simplicity of trailer setup now that I have young kids and trailer sail.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • The 22 around here has a carbon mast. I wouldn’t imagine it would be too hard to step. Although he’s able to keep it mast up across from the club.
  • waiex191I heard it went to someone in Idaho. Anybody here?

Not true. Went to Cleveland.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.