Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Olympic F17  Bottom

• Is there anywhere one can see (free) online the races?

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • NBC Olympic app, in the US, unfortunately not sure about up north...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I'm sure it's geofenced, but in any case, are they covering the mixed multihulls? Because in past years broadcasters have tended to concentrate their airtime on balls bouncing on floors and excluded the really boring stuff like foiling cats. But I'll dig around here - CBC normally carries it, but this year I don't think there was a canuck entry, so they might not.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • Probably geoblocked to AU, but https://7plus.com.au (https://7plus.com.au/live-tv?channel-id=TOK20) was streaming all the sailing, including the Nacras

Edited by johnoau on Jul 31, 2021 - 10:58 PM.

--
    1335 XTSea Nacra 5.8 NA
    605 Nacra 4.5
    Cleveland Yacht Club
    Brisbane, AU
    --
  • A bit off-topic, sorry for that:
    Looking at the title i see the same missconcept that i had: there is no Formula 17 (or if there is, it’s not what’s on the olympics). It’s just Nacra 17. Good work from Nacra..
  • Coverage I was watching wasn't that bad. Lots of dead air time between races, though. Only found one NACRA race, mixed crew. Still, fun to watch.
    Edit- NBC is only posting final results, only covered one race on their web site. They're covering wind surfing, 470, lasers etc...

Edited by charlescarlis on Jul 31, 2021 - 08:36 AM.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • AndinistaA bit off-topic, sorry for that:
    Looking at the title i see the same missconcept that i had: there is no Formula 17 (or if there is, it’s not what’s on the olympics). It’s just Nacra 17. Good work from Nacra..

Not just my mistake - it seems to be a very common one, and confusing:

http://www.nacra-na.com/f17.html

Then there's that other NACRA 17 - the weird-looking one with the strangely upswept deck right up at the bow (of course, absolutely impossible to find a picture of it online now). Honestly, those guys made/make so many boats that it's hard to keep track.

Edited by jonathan162 on Jul 31, 2021 - 10:45 AM.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --
  • Curious! Maybe deliberately confusing…
  • Nacra 17 are such a good boat they can sail without crew on board
    https://www.sail-world.com/photos/nacra17/yysw270402.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Jul 31, 2021 - 03:13 PM.
  • I watched that clip - it's a hella great crash - but the version I saw was really annoying. Every time the mast head hit the water they'd reverse the video and have it bounce back up rather than following through. I was yelling at the screen.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1MnPadNmJI love the legs :D

--
    1335 XTSea Nacra 5.8 NA
    605 Nacra 4.5
    Cleveland Yacht Club
    Brisbane, AU
    --
  • johnoauhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1MnPadNmJI love the legs :D

Yes, that's the stupid awful annoying version. Don't watch it unless you want to start yelling at your screen too.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --
  • Awright, I'm starting to find it.

In CBC's stream, at 3 hours 40 minutes (into the 5:30 W/M Preliminary Day 5 coverage) race 2 starts.

(After the previous day's 49ers... stupid things... never seen a dinghy so desperate to be a cat...)

You know, between the waves and the heel of the boats, it's really hard to see if/when they're actually up on the foils. Of course, even if the lee hull's not clear of the water the foil can still lift them enough to significantly reduce the wetted surface (drag), but I wanna see those things outa the water.

Race ran about 45 minutes, and for most of it, it just looked to me like there was too much swell to make full use of the foils.

Followed by race 3.

Edited by jonathan162 on Jul 31, 2021 - 11:31 PM.

--
    1983 SuperCat 19
    Mystere 17
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.