Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Catyak repair  Bottom

• Would someone please tell me what I need to do to fix my Catyak?
    I’m not sure how to link pics..
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=135193
    The album is titled "Catyak repair".

Thank you!
  • What's broken on it? I can't tell from the pictures. One of my coworkers had one and he said it was indestructible.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • I don't get it either. Pretty hard to offer any advice if you don't tell us what's wrong with it.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • Yes, he could have posted more detailed photo.
    Look at the 1st photo...it’s fairly clear the circled area, (gudgeon), is separated.
    I don’t know what a cat yak is constructed of, so can’t offer advice.
    If it’s rotomolded, repairs are tough.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Ah, okay. That rib is what the hinge (I guess you'd call it a gudgeon, but...) is attached to. It's bent/twisted on top, but we really can't see what's going on down on the transom.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • I'm no expert but what comes to my mind is to make a new hinge out of a SS plate, to be riveted to the transom at each side of the rib. I guess it shouldn't be hard to seal. We had a catyak decades ago when I was a kid, I remember it was pretty slow on mild conditions but we had a lot of fun on stormy days. The mast bended a lot so we added shrouds tied to the frame and the top of the mast. It is in pretty good condition apparently. The ropes seem to be original, I would replace them with softer and less stretchy ones.
  • Hi,
    I’m sorry, I don’t know the names of things, but there’s a crack in the pontoon and everything is off kilter. I didn’t know if it could/should be bent back somehow, or just patch the hole so water doesn’t get in it. I’ll post more pics. Please let me know what other angles would help. Thank you!

42806F37-E7D1-406B-9A9F-734FDD1CAAE9 Is a pic of the transom

Edited by hokypuk on Jul 11, 2021 - 11:19 AM.
  • What about a piece of flex seal just to cover the hole?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.